RunningCommentary.net Forums
GNW Half Marathon (Blackpool) - Printable Version

+- RunningCommentary.net Forums (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Main (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Other Races, Events, Arrangements (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: GNW Half Marathon (Blackpool) (/showthread.php?tid=100)

GNW Half Marathon (Blackpool) - running4rwanda - 23-02-2009

Just a quick bulletin from your northern correspondent ....

Blackpool in February was as I expected it to be - bracing ! And deserted, apart from the 1500 hardy souls who'd made the trip for a flat, and sometimes fast, half-marathon. The course is not inspirational - 2 laps of what is basically an out and back course: the 'out' leg is pancake flat, along the Lower Walk, the sea wall; the 'back' leg is along the Middle Walk - higher, and more undulating.

As it turned out, times were good - lots of PB's and season's bests - helped by the cool conditions, and the breeze which was from the side rather than being head-on.

I ran with a target of 1:38, aiming for 7:30/mile, so was a bit shocked to go through 1m in 7:07, but feeling good. There were RW pacers, but not at my pace, so ran with the 7min pacer in sight, but at a distance. I kept as steady as possible, but half expected to blow up in the 2nd half. However, I managed to keep it together, averaging 7:10 - 7:15 for most of the race, only slowing slight between between 10m and 12m, before putting in a 6:51 and a strong finish to end up with 1:34:25

Maybe 1:30 isn't out of the question, after all Wink

GNW Half Marathon (Blackpool) - ladyrunner - 23-02-2009

Well run R4R and nearly 4 minutes faster than your target time. That's a minute faster than my time in Almeria.

I'm almost certainly heading up to Blackpool and the Lake District for the last 2 weeks of August in my van. Please can you let me know of any good internet sites for races in that area.

Julie Smile

GNW Half Marathon (Blackpool) - stillwaddler - 24-02-2009

Have often fancied this half mara myself - it being not too far distant from SW running land. Have you done the Liverpool? Quite a good course except for a few meanderings around Sefton Park for the last couple of miles.

GNW Half Marathon (Blackpool) - running4rwanda - 26-02-2009

I have done Liverpool many times, but not for 2 or 3 years - I think the route has been different every time I have done it. It's another new course this year - starts and finishes at Echo Arena on the waterfront.

Sefton Park section is in middle of the route, then drops down to the river, with the last 3 miles being flat, along the river.

Was looking forward to doing it, but will be picking Mrs r4r up from M'cr airport instead - unfortunate timing

May do the other Blackpool Half instead (Apr 5th)

GNW Half Marathon (Blackpool) - stillwaddler - 02-03-2009

I'm glad they tinker with the route, makes it more interesting for repeat runners. Not doing it myslef this year either, it clashes with Wilmslow.