RunningCommentary.net Forums
The Road To Richmond - 2018 - Printable Version

+- RunningCommentary.net Forums (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Training Diaries (Individuals) (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: MarathonDan (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: The Road To Richmond - 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=2573)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 01-05-2018

The thread title can't be bettered, so I will recycle it.

I have a marathon in 4 months, so it's time to start running regularly and fitting other things into the time left over, rather than vice versa.

I ran a very satisfactory Autumn maintenance programme, which continued through January, but a niggling heel problem meant I missed two months. So not quite back to square one, but it will take a few weeks to feel fluent again.

On Sunday I found myself in Reading with a couple of hours to kill as no.1 daughter prepared for a concert, so popped over to Harris Garden and knocked out a few laps. It's very picturesque, but somewhat smaller than I realised, so the number of laps required was quite large. On the audio, Intern Dana returned from the desert otherworld long enough to rescue Cecil from the unending company picnic in which he was trapped, by opening a portal in the electrified volleyball net. A running theme of the podcast is the takeover of the radio station by an evil corporation, and the presenter's valiant stand against the oppressive Station Management. Something one of our RC brethren may relate to.

Jan 29 miles; Feb 0; Mar 3; Apr 31. Year to date: 63.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 01-05-2018

(01-05-2018, 06:14 PM)marathondan Wrote: The thread title can't be bettered, so I will recycle it.

I have a marathon in 4 months, so it's time to start running regularly and fitting other things into the time left over, rather than vice versa.

I ran a very satisfactory Autumn maintenance programme, which continued through January, but a niggling heel problem meant I missed two months. So not quite back to square one, but it will take a few weeks to feel fluent again.

On Sunday I found myself in Reading with a couple of hours to kill as no.1 daughter prepared for a concert, so popped over to Harris Garden and knocked out a few laps. It's very picturesque, but somewhat smaller than I realised, so the number of laps required was quite large. On the audio, Intern Dana returned from the desert otherworld long enough to rescue Cecil from the unending company picnic in which he was trapped, by opening a portal in the electrified volleyball net. A running theme of the podcast is the takeover of the radio station by an evil corporation, and the presenter's valiant stand against the oppressive Station Management. Something one of our RC brethren may relate to.

Jan 29 miles; Feb 0; Mar 3; Apr 31. Year to date: 63.

I'm afraid it's all rather too late for the radio station for which I work, but I will keep an eye out for volleyball nets.

And best of luck with the heel and the running. Hopefully this year we can both get to the finish line of our respective races.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - Bierzo Baggie - 02-05-2018

Yeah, best of luck from me too. I'm thinking a bit more about road running and cushioned shoes at the moment... marathon? 4 months time? hmmmm...

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 20-05-2018

Week 1 of 18

I am on a plan. This was officially the first week. Busy times in the week mean packing three runs into the weekend. This has its benefits, as it typically means doing the "long" - so far only 7 miles - run on tired legs. I've got in a couple of parkruns recently which has been a nice change, but as the miles grow they won't really fit with my planned sessions.

I took two months off with the heel problem, and am now nearly two months back in. And surprise surprise, I feel in about the same shape now as before I stopped. It's seems there's some truth in the old adage that it takes the same amount of time again to make up lost training time.

Still sticking with the same audio choices for now... ongoing news from the surreal, otherworldly community, presenters using mysterious language against the backdrop of menacing corporations and the relentless pursuit of performance targets.

Yes, I'm listening to Marathontalk.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 21-05-2018

Best of luck with it ... I'm again looking forward to following your progress!

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 30-05-2018

I was all set to post that everything was going perfectly. The word "textbook" definitely would have appeared. Then the heel resurfaced.

Last weekend I squeezed in three runs, as is my term-time custom, and the day after the tell-tale signs of soreness and swelling were there again. Gloom descended as I realised that the marathon could well be in jeopardy - after all, last time it took two months off to return it to what I thought was full health.

So I've spent much of the day with my browser open to a local physio's page, wondering whether I need to give them a call. However, after a day's rest it does seem to have subsided a lot, so I decided to give it another late go this afternoon. A rare interval session was a stern enough test. As soon as I got back I shoved an ice cube down my sock for an hour or so. As we stand at the moment, I have worse aches and pains. So I will keep going for now, icing religiously, and avoiding running on consecutive days.

In the meantime, the stats show a nice, steady buildup as planned. Watch this space.

Jan 29 miles; Feb 0; Mar 3; Apr 31; May 56. Year to date: 120.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 03-06-2018

I can't say I've ever put an ice cube in my sock as treatment ... I'm more of 'take the opportunity to put your feet up with a cold compress and do nothing for a while' kind of guy.

But best of luck with it!

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 03-06-2018

If you like a recording of a man breathing heavily, you have come to the right place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aq4LUUnbTw6Hhr4Mh91Mne5vMykCLfRL/view?usp=sharing

(33 mins audio)

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 04-06-2018

(03-06-2018, 09:38 PM)marathondan Wrote: If you like a recording of a man breathing heavily, you have come to the right place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aq4LUUnbTw6Hhr4Mh91Mne5vMykCLfRL/view?usp=sharing

(33 mins audio)

The RC podcast returns! Nice work, Dan. Now I just have to find 33 minutes in my day to listen to it... but I will.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 11-06-2018

A poor week last week, shall we say - turns out that finding time to run is one thing, but finding energy is another. So by the time Sunday evening came around I had zero miles in the bank. But with things still to do, I had to cut my losses and head out for the long slow one, even if it meant a late night. Knocked out 10 workaday miles; nothing particularly special, but lovely to be out in the late evening. I didn't time it, but by the kitchen clock it seemed to be about 90 minutes, which is faster than I was expecting. Heel grumbled for the first half but settled down; right knee also put in an appearance. Both of these might be down to lack of running during the week. My new job is certainly good for recovery, as I spend most of the day on my feet. In the old days of commuting and desk-jockeying I would be creaking and hobbling. Got to bed about 12.30, with the alarm set for 6.15.

So, I ride again. Let's see if I can get in two or even three runs this week.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 11-06-2018

Oh yeah, 10 miles - first double digit run since the marathon in Sept. That's worth marking. Looking back at last year, this weekend's run was my fourth double digit of the year. Seems I'm taking less-is-more to new heights this year.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 15-06-2018

I may be looking at a real bare bones, absolute minimum mileage marathon prep to see me to the start line with heel intact. 4.5 miles easy on Weds night - the plan called for a mile further, tempo. The heel was complaining to start with, and I thought the game might be up, but it settled down as soon as I moved from tarmac to grass. I'm throwing in some eccentric raises now, as well as daily icing. No better or worse, so far. 11 miles Sunday.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 17-06-2018

Good gear, Dan, keep it coming. I did finally find time to listen to your Dancast, and it's most fascinating to hear your thoughts as you trot out your long run.

Here's hoping your heel sorts itself out soon.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 18-06-2018

Don't think it will sort itself out any time soon. It's a case of me managing it carefully to get to the start line. 11 miles last night in decent comfort; today it's a little stiff, but then so are both ankles, hips and knees. This week is a step-back, which means the long run won't be long. Do I take that opportunity to throw a little speed in midweek? I think not. Softly, softly; I'll stick with "junk miles" midweek (maybe "maintenance miles" is a better term?) and erring on the side of less rather than more. If things do improve, I can always step it up later.

I have always relied on the midweek speed sessions to build strength to get me through the weekend long run. Without those, will the long runs become impossible as they get longer? Time will tell...

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - El Gordo - 21-06-2018

Let's hope it will 'heel' in time. Ha ha!!

I'm delighted that Dan has kept the marathon candle burning in the backroom all these years. That pale glow I see each time I walk past and glance up at the remnants of RC Towers -- that's Dan's annual penance. Well done mate.

Maybe the flames will spread. I'm starting to feel a bit restless meself. I've done no running for at least a century but have recently been thrashing the rowing machine (or is it the other way around?) and tomorrow I have another exciting bit of kit arriving. Who knows where this might lead?

Anyway, good luck MD. What marathon are you gracing this year?

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 22-06-2018

Cheers EG. You paint an evocative picture, as always. I'm hoping - and it's not yet a certainty that I will make it - to disgrace Richmond for the second year in a row, this time in full size Mr Bump costume. Fancy dress on a scale not seen since Brighton Rock. The marathon is definitely the magical distance for me.

Tonight's pale glow was provided by a half moon over freshly mown fields as I chased away the week's stresses with sixish miles of lively pace - faster than easy, slower than tempo. Now sitting with an ice cube in my sock, as is traditional, and waiting to see how the heel feels in the morning.

Glad to hear that your rower is still a go-er. Do let us know about the new kit...

Nice to see CH grabbing a cheeky win tonight.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 26-06-2018

Step-back this week, so I limited proceedings to a couple of easy 6 milers. Last night, with the daytime mercury trying for the 30 mark, I was out around the field at 10.30pm. Under cover of darkness I felt moved to run shirtless. Only encountered one dog walker, a robust looking chap with numerous tats and a Lord of the Rings beard; didn't really catch sight of his hound, but assumed it would be similarly fearsome. Half a lap later I feared the worst, as the low-flying red LED approached me with owner's torch still far off. I wondered whether I should put my shirt back on, but that seemed a little futile. Turned out that it was a friendly little chap, and after a little leg-licking he was off again.

Heel stable. Encouraging. Much sterner tests to come of course. With careful management, I'm quietly optimistic.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 29-06-2018

Just back from a cracker. 6 miles tempo to try and reinvigorate things. The post-sunset sky is an impossible wash from blue to red. A lone light hangs in the sky - maybe Sirius, maybe Venus. Either way, the scope of the vista before me is unfathomable. Aluminium tubes pass overhead. Bunnies scatter to the hedgerows as my overweight footsteps approach. The decade-old guitar scrapings of obscure Canadian punks are now on a sliver of silicon on my waistband, and in my ears. By some complex chain of events, this will hopefully somehow help sick children. I start to make a mental note of all these things. As I reach the corner of the field and look back the way I've come, I see that all this time, a huge orange moon has been peering over my shoulder, just above the treeline. I swear under my breath and grin like a loon.

Track du soir below - came on towards the end, turned out to absolutely spot on BPM. The sentiment, also.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - marathondan - 01-07-2018

Logging this for the sake of completeness, and as a cautionary tale to future self. Due 12 miles tonight, but canned it after a mile. Just wasn't happening. Too tired, too hot (at 10pm) and still too full of dinner. Distances like this need to be planned properly, not just thrown out there once Croatia v Denmark is finally over. With weeknights as they are, I may not get another shot at this till next weekend now.

RE: The Road To Richmond - 2018 - Bierzo Baggie - 01-07-2018

I sympathize with you, looks like you have all the hot weather at the moment. Unusually cool and wet over here ...which makes the running a bit easier.
Lovely little post on the 29th by the way... like the idea of the moon peering over your shoulder!