Paula
23-08-2004, 02:32 AM,
Paula
It was tragic to see Runningcommentary's de facto patron Paula Radcliffe pull out of the marathon. After so many gutsy efforts by the runners here (not least of all by her alter ego, i.e. Andy and his super effort in Denmark) I had hoped she would have inspiration enough for even the most difficult of conditions. Sadly we have to acknowledge that even the most amazing of athletes are, after all, human.

Other than that though, I'm enjoying the Games immensely. The 100m final was staggering. Five finishers below 10 seconds! Incredible!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
23-08-2004, 10:20 AM,
Paula
She just blew up. There's been a lot of soul-searching here about whether "she let us down" or not. It's nonsense. She was defeated by a combination of the conditions and her own mental state. I don't think her pulling up was a conscious decision; her brain was receiving too many "stop" signals.

I know it was just a joke, but obviously there's no comparison between her task and that of most of us here, whose main aim is just to finish. She runs the equivalent of a marathon every day in training, and holds the marathon world record so there's no doubting her capabilities.

She's an inspirational figure to many of us, and will remain so.

Despite all that, I did publicly predict (on the RW forum) that she wouldn't finish the race. I just had a very strong hunch that it would all be too much for her.

I can't understand the obituary tone of many commentators this morning. She's 30, not old at all for a marathon runner. No reason why she shouldn't have another go in China.

The big question at the moment is whether she'll compete in the 10K on Friday. I suspect she won't, but how great it would be if she did, and dragged a victory from somewhere.

The 100m was indeed amazing. I looked at that picture last night, or one v similar, and marvelled at the balletic quality of the finish.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-08-2004, 11:49 AM,
Paula
Quote:Originally posted by andy

The 100m was indeed amazing. I looked at that picture last night, or one v similar, and marvelled at the balletic quality of the finish.

Ballet at 10m/sec!

The bind moggles.
Run. Just run.
23-08-2004, 01:07 PM,
Paula
Quote:Originally posted by Mid Life Crisis Man
Ballet at 10m/sec!

Ah, but that's the point. The photo freezes them in time, and you need that to see just how poised and graceful they really are.

It's OK, I'm going to stop talking crap now.

For a while.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paula Seafront Plodder 2 1,420 11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Paula looks to be setting the tone Iceman 14 4,765 12-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Last Post: marcymarc24