Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scousenfreude
24-05-2007, 06:58 AM,
Scousenfreude
Sweder Wrote:The worst offenders were a small but dedicated cluster of Mickey Mousers who I'm sure derive more pleasure from a Rowdies failure than their own team's success.

Objection, m'lud!

If you listened to the partying Rowdies fans on 606 last night, you'll know that there are just as many Mancs on the other side of that annoying equation. Or an even more vivid illustration was the embarrassing booing of Liverpool 'greats' before the cup final last Saturday from, let's just say, a certain section of the crowd. Though like your magnanimous self, I know several Liverpool supporters who were hoping you'd triumph over Chelsea on Saturday.

I was sorry that Liverpool lost. I've been to Anfield about half a dozen times, and it's always a thrill. I've not found anything that comes close to that sense of footballing authenticity. And if you've never found yourself in the middle of the Kop as they go through the pre-match "You'll Never Walk Alone", your life will never feel complete. Their fans even have Liverpool accents.

As for the match itself, it was a much better spectacle than most had feared. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though Liverpool's failings up front were their own undoing. With an incisive striker, and they'd have been 2 clear at half time, even taking into account Milan's very jammy goal just on 45 minutes. I don't think Liverpool are a better side than ManU, the difference seemed to be with AC Milan. They looked half the side that had overwhelmed the mancs.

Nick - "There were too many scousers who thought that they just had to turn up and collect the trophy". That's true, but I think you'll find that excessive optimism is the prerogative of football fans going down the ages, and pretty much a prerequisite for every big game, whoever's playing in it Smile

Anyway, it's been an emotionally draining but fascinating season. Can't wait for the play-offs to finish this weekend so that we can relax for a few weeks.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Messages In This Thread
Scousenfreude - by Sweder - 23-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Scousenfreude - by Nick - 24-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Scousenfreude - by El Gordo - 24-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Scousenfreude - by Sweder - 24-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Scousenfreude - by El Gordo - 26-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Scousenfreude - by Sweder - 26-05-2007, 09:36 AM