Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scousenfreude
24-05-2007, 08:08 AM,
Scousenfreude
I agree with much of what you say.
There is of course authentic 'previous' between the North West giants predating football by a century or so. Not that I claim any part in that, being a Sarf Lardarn boy.

I find any kind of triumphalism in a sport where glory is as transient as (it is in) football to be ugly and foolish. Mancs are as likely to bang on about the ‘infinite wonder’ of the '99 treble . . . yet when you watch the highlights of that season so much hinged on good fortune; last minute goals, Bergkamp's 89th minute penalty miss (OK, Schmeichel's miracle save!), Bayerns inability to hit a bovine's backside with a stringed instrument . . .

I have a small amount of sympathy for the fans this morning but in general terms they deserve both barrels, this season more than most. Liverpool nailed their colours to the Big Cup mast early doors. When United 'devalued' the FA Cup (at the request of the FA as I recall) they were vilified in the press and on the phone-ins. Both Liverpool and Milan have extracted the urine this season; Milan even more so. Is it not outrageous that a club fined and initially excluded from the competition for bribing officials have run off with Big Cup? The sight of Seedorf legging it in a mock robbery was too much for some officials to bear. In the spirit of that famous Lineker/ Gascoigne's tears mime someone who looked alarmingly like an extra from The Sopranos 'had a word' with him.

Anyway, I understand and respect the 'wonderful Anfield tradition' - I share an office with a die hard Red. Just don't expect me to like having it rammed down my throat.

Singing 'You'll never Walk Alone' through floods of tears probably doesn't warm too many cockles in Heysel - or Turin for that matter.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Messages In This Thread
Scousenfreude - by Sweder - 23-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Scousenfreude - by Nick - 24-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Scousenfreude - by El Gordo - 24-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Scousenfreude - by Sweder - 24-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Scousenfreude - by El Gordo - 26-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Scousenfreude - by Sweder - 26-05-2007, 09:36 AM