Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough...
02-03-2009, 10:23 AM,
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough...
I wouldn’t claim that the second half of that couplet applies, so we’ll leave it at that.

Week 10 of 18

Last night was the 15-miler. I was feeling pretty confident, but it was a stern reminder that this is now the big-time. One thing I’ve noticed abut the less-is-more regime is that I don’t quite fall into the “training as second nature” thing. With only three runs a week, it’s always possible to put it off a day longer, and so an extra effort of motivation is required. However, as we know, running contains many life lessons, and one of them is the price of procrastination. So I knew that I had little option but to strap on the Asics and get out there.

The run went fine, and was completed in a very satisfying 3:54 marathon pace. But as the miles drew to a close there were glimpses of the horror that lies in the final hour of the marathon, and the effort of will that will be required to haul my frame home on the big day. Truly, distance running is mostly mental (a self-evident statement if ever there was one) – it’s all about pushing on through pain, although I suppose your level of conditioning determines how much pain you need to go through. But I felt pretty good afterwards, mentally and physically, and once again appreciated fully the simple pleasures in life – sitting down, removing the accursed woolly hat (which seemed to have gained about a pound in weight), tea and bread and honey, and a hot shower.

The deployment of a bumbag was a success – jellies and mp3 player were happily stowed, and unless I decide to switch to gels then I’ll be using it on race day. Audio distraction was again a must, BBC podcasts serving up rambles on the welfare state, social housing and academic studies of youth culture, juxtaposed nicely with the Radio 1 punk show and Zane Lowe.

The quads fairly burned as I came downstairs this morning. A short cycle ride to the station was a welcome stretch, but I was, shall we say, not my usual jaunty self during the repeated descents into the bowels of the Tube. So far, no sign of the hip pain that plagued me during the last marathon campaign. I’m sure that running straight before bed, and the consequent elevation (not much more than 5 hours last night Sad) is helping no end.

I also picked up some pink net and elastic at the weekend, so tutu construction will commence shortly….:o

84 miles logged for February. 16 miles next weekend – a week should be just long enough for my brain to wipe out last night’s pain and distil the pleasure memories.

Messages In This Thread
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough... - by marathondan - 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough... - by Nick - 02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Mar 09 - When The Going Gets Tough... - by Sweder - 10-03-2009, 10:43 PM