Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting the Asics Right
06-02-2019, 09:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 08:13 AM by OutAlongTheRiver.)
RE: Getting the Asics Right
So to my third run out with the Almeria Half Marathon (Sunday 3 Feb 2019). So much more than just a run in southern Spain - with remarkable group of fellow runners from UK, and amazing Spanish hosts. Lots could be said about the people, the food, drink, buildings, landscape ... But this blog focusses on the run itself.

First time in Almeria in 2017, I wrongly thought that the thorough prep I'd done for my first ever half (Thames River Path) at end October 2016 would see me through with little more than a few 5Ks and twitten outings. Wrong-o. Legs collapsed at 16K and I limped in at 2:16.  My sad recollections at the time are here for posterity ...

Second time in 2018, I picked up the miles from late December and felt just about ready - and managed PB at 1:54, but that hurt quite a bit from 18K in, and I needed the encouragement of fellow UK runners who were breezing round and caught up with me in last 5K.  As indeed my blog post here recorded.

This time I would be running with my partner - the first time running a half together.  I'd been using the Asics training planning - with Moyleman my target, but with this as a useful milestone on the way.  Coinciding with a planned 17K training run, it was meant to fit well.  The mileage since early December had been good - and while I hadn't done anything above 17K, I felt this should be fine.

Worry was Paula's knee - which had become painful 2 weeks before, and chiropractor had now diagnosed as part of a whole back, leg, knee, ankle combo with ligaments becoming inflamed at various points at various stages. But icing, manipulation and gentle runs had proved helpful, so fingers were crossed.

Along with everyone else in the group, we had walked a rather large distance on the Saturday (mainly from beer stop to tapas stop and back via the stadium for race registration), criss-crossing the city - so Sunday would be first outing for a day or so.

We woke early and headed out to find a coffee, ducking into a walk-down hotel cafe for cafe con leche. And there we decided on what might be loosely called a race strategy. We would go out for first 5K at 5:35-5:40 pace (akin to a 28 min Parkrun pacing) - and then see how we felt. Either maintain same, pick it up a little or ease back. And that was it. 

Sunday was as predicted bright, sunny, 15c+ with a light to medium breeze (a fine contrast to the -1C and ice we had left behind in UK). With a different start point this year - being in front of the main exhibition hall - and a much more logical spot than the behind the hall of the last few years. There was a large and as ever friendly crowd, with Spanish mates greeting each other and only a moderate amount of warming up having been done. But these were largely young and speedy bunch. Along with the usual solider regiments of legions - in red, green, yellow and blue, running en masse.

Ash was heading out with our Spanish superhost Antonio - and likely coming in just a little behind us we guessed. David Stacey - likely more speedy - some way ahead with Harvey, for his first time in Almeria. Richard and Jen separately ahead and faster still.  Others from UK were running the later starting 9K with friends and partners, which was a great addition to the UK massive. 

Along with a different start point, the route of the first 10K of the course was also different - covering the flatlands alongside the beach, rather than heading up above the town. Thus it would be very flat - even compared to last years gentle slopes.

Slightly bunched at start, since we were in the mass of the pack, it was good not to start too fast and thus we eased into c: 5:40 pace over the first 5K. We felt good and strong - and having covered much of the ground on the walk day before, it felt familiar territory. 

The mass legions were about 30s-1min behind us and with their mass chants and cheers from crowds when they saw them, they were inspiring. We reckoned they would be aiming for 2 hours (since that's what they had done for last 2 years). 

There was also a small group of half a dozen legion runners in yellow (7th company judging by their shirts) just ahead and we seemed to be keeping pace with them.

The first water station was a little messy as everyone dived for the first provider, while it turned out there was a further half dozen a few yards on. We should have guessed and not panicked ...

We swung onto long south east stretch alongside the railway tracks at 5k ... and the centre of town was in sight. We had settled into a common group of runners - the yellow folks just ahead and Paula was running fine so we pressed on. Our pace upped a little - unspoken between us, but with the sense that this was proving manageable. No knee pains or other discomfort. 

Then as we headed back down the main drag, the Ramblas - with seeming bigger crowds than last year - and with the legions choosing to unleash their most systematic burst of chanting, it was quite an inspiring scene.

Then the route returned to its familiar second 10k - with a seemingly endless stretch out along the port water frontage (but with the fencing, no view over the seas). And the sight of faster runners coming back - we kept a look out for Richard, Jen or David but amongst the masses no sign.

After the turn and a much better navigated water stop, we kept an eye out the other way - and we saw Ash and Antonio around 5 mins behind us and lustily waved.

We had expected the 14-16K section to be tough - as we reached the limits of what we had run before in training - but still had 5-7K to go. We passed by Harvey who was running well, but just a little slower now than we were as we looped around the little pier by the ferry terminal. 

And indeed with the controlled start and then slightly faster sustained pace, we were finding ourselves gradually passing other people - but staying close to the yellows, and ahead of the massed legions. 

We hit the little stadium where the run curiously goes into and around a running track and out again - I was trepidatious since this had been where had blown up in first year and slowed. But both of us continued strong.  I was running just inside myself - by which I feel could maybe have gone minute or two faster but not by much.

At around 18K we slowed a little - and the yellow group moved on ahead. Our agreed strategy if we flagged had been to make sure we know how well we were doing - so I kept telling Paula how well she was doing, and she was indeed. With this psychological encouragement - and with just 2 miles left to go - we resumed our 5:35 pace.

We reached David - who said with leg discomfort he had been walk/running since early on. He must have been doing a fast run on the run sections - since he was still heading for sub-2hrs. 

And thus we found ourselves reaching the stadium and the booming finish music. The final loop around the back of the stadium made the total distance 21.33 - so we had to cover at least an extra 200m and 1 minute or so more ... doesn't sound much on reflection but when you turn a corner and expect the finish to be there but see it 400m down the road it can be hard!

So we crossed the line with 1:56:27 chip time - just 2 mins outside my PB from the year before and better than river path half in 2016 which I had trained pretty thoroughly for.

Paula had indeed done brilliantly - getting round comfortably under 2 hours was above what we had really expected. It was  a great feeling to run together and so well.  Gives us confidence for the next planned halves in Sheffield and Sunderland in April and May ... 

But before that, it's half-half relay Moyleman for us in mid March.

On, on! Smile

Messages In This Thread
Getting the Asics Right - by OutAlongTheRiver - 21-12-2018, 12:00 PM
RE: Getting the Asics Right - by OutAlongTheRiver - 29-12-2018, 12:39 PM
RE: Getting the Asics Right - by Sweder - 27-12-2018, 10:32 AM
RE: Getting the Asics Right - by OutAlongTheRiver - 29-12-2018, 12:57 PM
RE: Getting the Asics Right - by OutAlongTheRiver - 30-12-2018, 11:15 AM
RE: Getting the Asics Right - by Charliecat5 - 01-01-2019, 12:17 PM
RE: Getting the Asics Right - by OutAlongTheRiver - 03-01-2019, 05:48 PM
RE: Getting the Asics Right - by Antonio247 - 03-01-2019, 10:12 PM
RE: Getting the Asics Right - by OutAlongTheRiver - 09-01-2019, 12:36 PM
RE: Getting the Asics Right - by OutAlongTheRiver - 15-01-2019, 08:22 AM