Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long And Winding Road . . . Again
05-07-2005, 08:05 AM,
The Long And Winding Road . . . Again
Summertime, and the livin' is easy . . . nice sentiment but useless if you're planning a fairly major run later in the year. It's a little early to set off on a dedicated schedule for the Jog Shop Jog in October, but I am determined to set up a decent platform from which to launch my assault next month.

Monday 4th July
3 to 4 miles offroad plod
Time: 34:01
Conditions: cold, wind and rain

I like the winter weather. We all moan about the cold, rain, high winds, especially when they invade our summer evenings. Not me, not last night; this was a welcome break from recent sauna-like conditions; it was a pleasure to be out running.

Black Cap was my approximate target, but ths was a recovery run after the British 10K on Sunday, so there was never any danger of pushing myself. I'd considered my stodgy performance in London throughout the day, and avowed to put things right by increasing the number of mid-week runs. This is not the challenge it may seem, as currently my average mid-week total is nil.

Rather than pin myself to a rigid schedule I will endeavour to run a minimum of four times a week, between 3 and 5 miles in the week with a longer weekend lope, probably around 10 miles to start with.

Tonights' run went reasonably well, although once again I found my lungs could not keep up with my legs. I managed just shy of 2 miles on the outward circuit, pulling up at the gate leading to the last half mile ascent to Black Cap to take on water and catch my breath. The horse track leading back towards the stables ran slick with mud and rain, the earth yielding to every heavily planted foot, each flint boulder a potential ankle-turner. I danced like a horribly over-weight ballerina, my canine companions close to heel, finally relieved to return to the relative security of the grass.

Home again and pleased with the time, but more impressed with the coating of mud plastered up my legs. I do love a mud-plug!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Messages In This Thread
The Long And Winding Road . . . Again - by Sweder - 05-07-2005, 08:05 AM
The Long And Winding Road . . . Again - by Sweder - 05-07-2005, 09:11 AM
The Long And Winding Road . . . Again - by Sweder - 10-07-2005, 08:52 PM
The Long And Winding Road . . . Again - by Sweder - 20-07-2005, 03:54 PM
The Long And Winding Road . . . Again - by Sweder - 21-07-2005, 09:04 PM
The Long And Winding Road . . . Again - by Sweder - 29-07-2005, 10:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So Long ... And Thanks For All The Fish Sweder 23 11,248 15-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Last Post: The Beast of Bevendean