Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Blues
03-08-2004, 02:34 AM,
Winter Blues
Tuesday 3rd August

Hmm, I'm going to write this in two parts: before and after my scheduled 5km run. After my aborted Sunday run I am keen to get out there and put things right again, but have to wait for a break between savage downpours. The weather here has gone apocalyptic and I fear finding myself in the after-life without having run a mortal marathon yet. Worsening winter storms are creating a bit of havoc, with trees and powerlines down all over the place, including a massive eucalypt that fell across all four lanes of a major road last evening during the peak hour. Bit of a miracle no-one was killed - though it was close. One bloke saw the tree falling and slammed on the brakes. The tree crushed the front end of his car and he walked away unscathed. It's a road I use most days, too.

Looks like my break in the weather is here, so I'll be back soon...

...or maybe not so soon.

What a disaster! I know now something is not right. This time I barely struggled to the 3km mark before pulling the plug. whereas last week the distance wasn't presenting any great difficulties, suddenly now I'm finding my legs and ankles giving in on me. I felt fine going out for the run, but barely half a kilometre in my legs were like lead and my ankles were screaming. I think the 24 hour cold bug I thought I had a few days back must be something else, and comes out to bite when I do anything physical. I also found I had a weird rash on my neck last night, although this morning it was gone so I didn't think anything of it. whatever it is, it's frustrating the heck out of me.

Still, it's better to get these disasters out of the way early in the piece rather than near the day of the race.

In true runner's spirit I have consoled myself with hot buttered fruit muffins. No beer though. Hot honey and lemon drink instead.

Guess I'll just have to cut back on the running a little until things are right again.

Grumble grumble moan groan.

MLC Man.
Run. Just run.

Messages In This Thread
Winter Blues - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 03-08-2004, 02:34 AM
Winter Blues - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 04-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Winter Blues - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 04-08-2004, 06:15 AM
Winter Blues - by Seafront Plodder - 04-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Winter Blues - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 05-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Winter Blues - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 07-08-2004, 01:55 AM
Winter Blues - by Seafront Plodder - 07-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Winter Blues - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 08-08-2004, 12:03 AM