Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gonna fly now...
01-08-2004, 07:34 AM,
Gonna fly now...
Week 2 summary ...Days left to race day = 161

Feeling better today, so headed out for my "long" run in cool, showery conditions. Left knee playing up a bit, so had already cut this run back from 8km to 5km, but funnily enough the knee was fine. Instead, my ankles both screamed at me for the whole run, which is odd because they've never complained before.

This run was really awful, and I knew things were up for me fairly quickly. The last 1.5 km of my 5km loop is uphill, and I only got as far as the 4km mark before pulling the plug and limping home. I felt terrible, and both my time and HRM confirmed that things were grim. So I walked home and at least felt happy that I'd made the right decision. And at least I'd run 4km, which is a lot better than nothing, especially in this weather.

Overall, the week was OK I guess. 4 short runs (2x5km, 1 x 2.4km sprint and today's 4km) and a cross training session. Not bad for pre-training. I still have 5 weeks before the serious marathon training starts, so I'm glad to get this rubbishy stuff out of the way now before the pressure starts.

Summary
Weeks to race day: 23
Training level: Fair to middling
Diet: OK
Motivation: OK
Energy: Moderate
Injuries: Niggling left knee and ankles, nothing serious.

Attached is a view looking south from the top of Anstey Hill, near where I live, and where I like to run when I'm mad enough to do hill training. This view takes in the line of the Adelaide Hills, with the city to the right. There are tons of walking and running trails through these hills, and is the venue for the annual 100km Oxfam trail run, where teams of 4 have to complete the 100km run/walk in 48 hours. Needless to say, I haven't attempted it yet... except in my dreams of course.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.

Messages In This Thread
Gonna fly now... - by El Gordo - 28-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Gonna fly now... - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 01-08-2004, 07:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time to Fly July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 3,147 20-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Fly Me To The June Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 2 1,761 13-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sweder