It's very quiet in here at the mo....
02-04-2010, 04:56 PM,
RE: It's very quiet in here at the mo....
Saw my physio again yesterday for my scheduled appointment. Since my last visit which was a week ago I had completed my steady 20 mile run on Saturday, then followed that up with one race walking fast interval session of 5x1k on Monday and a very slow 6 mile walk on Tuesday. On Wednesday I took a slow jog 400m to the shop to see how the calf felt and immediately felt it tighten up which left some soreness for the physio to iron out.

Received 45 minutes of ultrasound and deep calf massage which was extremely painful, and the Physio's outcome this week was that my leg is feeling much better than last week and that she is quite optimistic now that I will be able to run the Brighton Marathon rather than walk it. I am not so optimistic after the tightening up incident on Wednesday.

She has now agreed that it would be good for me to try a 4 mile run on the roads at marathon pace to see how it feels but no sooner than Monday to allow my calf to recover from the deep massage. Then I need to call her to discuss the outcome and whether I will need another session. The trouble is that I am going away on holiday for the week before the marathon which makes it hard to fit another session in!!

My plan now for training for the next week is 5k hard race walk at the Parkrun tomorrow, 8 miles race walking at marathon pace on sea front on Monday then will rest a day and try my 4 mile run at marathon pace on Wednesday.

Which ever option I choose for the day of the Brighton Marathon, my options being running or race walking, both are going to make me one very nervous competitor before the start. With the walking option I am nervous because I have covered no long distances walking. 6 miles is my longest walk to date. And with the running option it's the uncertainty of how the calf will behave. During my 28 years of participating in athletics I have never once been in this situation before!!

Most people would have probably pulled out of the marathon by now but I won't be beaten as I am doing this for Moyleman. Also because I have waited a long time to run a marathon in my home town and because of the great support from my friends Cam, Jen, Heather, Ash and Simon.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!

Messages In This Thread
Ultra Madness - by Sweder - 24-03-2010, 10:59 AM
RE: Ultra Madness - by Antonio247 - 24-03-2010, 03:15 PM
RE: Ultra Madness - by El Gordo - 24-03-2010, 07:35 PM
RE: Ultra Madness - by marathondan - 26-03-2010, 09:29 AM
RE: It's very quiet in here at the mo.... - by ladyrunner - 02-04-2010, 04:56 PM