Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August lashes out in volcanic fury
06-08-2015, 08:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015, 08:46 AM by Charliecat5.)
RE: August lashes out in volcanic fury
BGG used an interesting term a little while ago, which I think he had picked up from the Moyle Lady, which was “junk miles”.  I understood that these were miles empty of effort; not counting for much.  I’ve been thinking about this phrase quite a bit whilst out running this last week as I don’t feel these short blasts are doing a great deal as preparation for the JS20.  I need to be putting in the long miles – doing at least one run per week in the 12 to 15 mile range.  The challenge when on holiday is firstly finding the time (the kids are not impressed if I go out for 2 to 3 hours); and secondly finding the routes that can take you this distance without getting lost (or in my case, without pounding the hard top).

I headed out again this morning, following a night of beer, pasta and ice-cream.  I chose to do the last run in the opposite direction so the two mile road section was downhill rather than up.  This time I didn’t get lost, but this also meant that the run was half a mile shorter than the last one, coming in at 4.5 miles.  My legs felt heavy, it was hot, and I had to stop a couple of times for water.   Junk miles?  I don’t think so… there were plenty of hills to grind up, there was still the mental anguish to overcome and it certainly was helping shed the excesses of the evening before.  Also, and most importantly, they were enjoyable, allowing me to explore parts of the countryside that I suggest the majority of tourists never get to see.

I saw workers out in the vineyards, getting their work done before the day really cranked up the thermostat, I saw deer grazing, I heard Cicadas wake and start tuning their instruments ready for the busy day ahead.   I saw a farmer ploughing a field with the biggest single plough imaginable.  I stopped in the bottom of a valley and heard complete silence.  All of this while most were still finishing their dreams.  
There is more to be done

Messages In This Thread
RE: August lashes out in volcanic fury - by Charliecat5 - 06-08-2015, 08:43 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August and new beginnings (again) Charliecat5 3 1,623 18-08-2016, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  August already 2014 Charliecat5 18 7,283 29-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Charliecat5