Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March roars in like a lion
14-03-2016, 07:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-03-2016, 07:24 PM by Charliecat5.)
RE: March roars in like a lion
Guess what I did yesterday?   I helped organise the best bloody marathon in the whole bloody world, that's what!

It wasn’t as emotional as last year… having said that last year was REALLY emotional.  Last year I spent most of the afternoon blubbing as runner after runner came over the line.  This year was different.

Don’t get me wrong, it was still emotional, but this year my eyes didn’t leak as much.  The question I’ve been asking myself all day is why?  What was different?

I think the biggest reason is that I didn’t bike it this year… Whilst the biking is tough, really tough, it gives you more time to think… plus its knackering which itself makes you feel more emotional.

This year I didn’t have much time to think.   I was mobile, organising, chasing around, solving problems, doing stuff, making sure it all ran smoothly (with the rest of the team of course).

At 6am I was sorting our signs that had been torn down during the night.  At 7am I was liaising with our brilliant farmer who provides access under a very busy road.  At 7.30am I was at Harvey’s yard chatting to a lovely guy making sure the gate was open and that we had power, AND BEER.  At 8.00am I was at the school, opening up and getting things ready for registration.  At 8.30am I was chatting to the bikers confirming last minute arrangements.  At 8.45 we started registering runners and I was flat out taking names and dishing out numbers with our amazing time team.  At 9.00 I had my first coffee of the morning.  At 9.40 we had the runners briefing and then headed out to the start line.  At 9.55 I was having a little panic with the race director (aka Ash) because we had mislaid our time keeper – what a time to go to the bloody loo.  At 10.00 the first runners were off, at 10.15 the relay runners left.  OK, I had a little tear in my eye at this point.

Tears of a different sort came at 10.30 when I was cleaning the loos after the impact of what I can only describe as being 200 runners shedding a little weight before they set off.

At 11.00 I was out checking a tricky section of signage and having a lovely conversation with a lady in Glynde.  At 11.20 I was at the halfway point to watch the first runners come over this milestone (or finish/start in the case of the relay guys) and to sort out a particular issue that had arisen.

At 12.00 I was marshalling a critical turn whilst the ‘official marshals’ made their way to their second postings of the day (brilliant, brilliant people).  At 12.30 I met with Ash to grab the beer tokens which were still in his truck and needed to be at the finish.

At 13.00 I was at the finish line cheering the first runner over the line, cutting up beer tokens, pouring endless glasses of water, clapping, cheering, congratulating and trying not to blub as Brian and Cam came in.

At 15.00 Ash and I were on a mission to find another barrel of beer (we had run out – I KNOW) and succeeding through the awesome generosity of Harveys and the John Harvey Tavern.

At 16.00 we were starting to wind down with only a few last few runners out there.

At 16.30 the last runner was through along with the fantastic Mr Porter on the sweeper bike.

At 17.00 the yard was clear and we were heading home to drop stuff off.

At 17.10 we were in the pub raising a glass to a fantastic day and a fantastic team.

At 18.00 it was just me and the big man, chewing the fat, sipping a beer, reflecting on what an amazing thing we have achieved over the last three years.  All from a drunken conversation in the pub one evening.

At 18.05 we left the pub, hugged and went home… tears in our eyes. 

I am so unbelievably blown away by all the people who get involved and give their time and generosity for free.  All those people who do that extra mile without any fuss or any complaint... smiling all the way.   I cannot believe the thanks we get and the smiles, even from (and often in particular from) those who have fought their own demons to get around the course.

But best of all, I am so unbelievably grateful to do this with such a great bunch of friends.  Thank you all.  Now I am blubbing! 
There is more to be done

Messages In This Thread
March roars in like a lion - by Charliecat5 - 10-03-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: March roars in like a lion - by Charliecat5 - 10-03-2016, 10:55 PM
RE: March roars in like a lion - by Charliecat5 - 14-03-2016, 07:17 PM
RE: March roars in like a lion - by Sweder - 14-03-2016, 09:05 PM
RE: March roars in like a lion - by Sweder - 15-03-2016, 10:40 PM
RE: March roars in like a lion - by Charliecat5 - 20-03-2016, 06:29 PM
RE: March roars in like a lion - by Charliecat5 - 25-03-2016, 04:06 PM
RE: March roars in like a lion - by Charliecat5 - 26-03-2016, 11:17 AM
RE: March roars in like a lion - by Charliecat5 - 29-03-2016, 04:00 PM
RE: March roars in like a lion - by Charliecat5 - 30-03-2016, 07:55 AM