Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schleptember
07-09-2016, 02:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2016, 02:00 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: Schleptember
The Great Almeria Trek Begins.

My usual practice when beginning a new campaign is to rule a line under my training log to signify a fresh start. I then draw up a training schedule and devise a few rules; resolutions, if you like. These typically include declarations such as not skipping runs just because I'm working a night shift; eating better; working seriously on core strength; and drinking more water and less alcohol, although admittedly I all too often get that last one the wrong way round.

This time it's a little different. I've drawn an especially thick line under the training log and left the schedule blank. Huh? Why leave it blank? Well, simple really. Almeria is of course a fine event, but a half marathon does not need the training to be brutal, merely consistent. Flogging myself mercilessly under the crushing weight of 60 to 70 kilometres per week, with hill reps, tempo runs, speed sessions and 30km long runs is just not necessary as it would be for the full marathon distance or a Point to Pinnacle. Sure, if I want to set a PB those things would help, but the risk of injury would be far higher. So whilst I'll certainly aim for a steady 30 - 35km per week with enough long runs thrown in to keep myself honest, I'll not seriously fill out the schedule with a strict training regime until we're getting to the danger zone of the last few weeks.

I've decided that above all else, this is going to be fun; that's the priority. The simple enjoyment of running without the pressure of a tough schedule, yet knowing it will be enough to complete the race in a tolerably reasonable time and showing pretty good form is all I really need. The presence of so many other running friends will make this event a seriously special occasion already without the need to hurt myself running impossibly fast Yasso 800s or too many insidious hill climbs.

So with around five months of preparation time, how best to start this thing? Well of course the best idea is to simply crack on with it. With that in mind, this afternoon saw me head off on my first Almeria training run, and it was a genuinely happy experience. It was nothing more than a simple 5km training log filler of no great note except that it felt bloody brilliant to know I was finally on the road to Almeria. This has been a very long time coming. After twelve years of reading so many Almeria race reports, and then visiting there for the first time whilst on holiday last year, now I have at long last begun an actual Almeria Medio Maraton campaign.

I may only be in first gear yet with the clutch still not even fully released, but I'm under way. After years and years of wanting this to happen, it's finally here.

Good times!

I'm on it.
Run. Just run.

Messages In This Thread
Schleptember - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 02-09-2016, 06:54 PM
RE: Schleptember - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 07-09-2016, 02:35 PM
RE: Schleptember - by Charliecat5 - 07-09-2016, 05:05 PM
RE: Schleptember - by Charliecat5 - 08-09-2016, 02:24 PM
RE: Schleptember - by glaconman - 15-09-2016, 09:08 AM
RE: Schleptember - by glaconman - 19-09-2016, 10:22 AM
RE: Schleptember - by Charliecat5 - 16-09-2016, 01:43 PM