Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Man's Shoes/ Blood Simple / Raising Arizona
21-02-2007, 10:46 PM,
Dead Man's Shoes/ Blood Simple / Raising Arizona
Caught up with the second injection of DVDs while I was away.

The star, without doubt, was Dead Man's Shoes. Great recommendation from Glaconman for a film I'd never have known existed.

It's a FilmFour-backed movie, and has a strong low-budget Ken-Loach-like feel. This is real England: no glamour, no gloss, no stars, no self-conscious 'performances'. A totally naturalistic, bleak portrayal of a Peak District community. Bunch of guys behaving in ways that some distant bit of my youth could resonate with -- idle, boozy, constant partying -- suddenly terrified by the return to the town of a soldier hell-bent on revenge for the way they treated his emotionally-disturbed (is that the right euphemism for "nutty"?) younger brother.

I won't say much more than that. It's not a Schwarzenegger-type of sci-fi giggly violence. This is gritty and raw and desolate stuff, but has a soft, emotional underbelly that makes the experience even starker. It's also got a couple of narrative twists in the tail that take it from good to very good. Highly recommended.

Trailer -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/trai...27353-10-2[url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/trailers-screenplay-E27353-10-2][/url]

Blood Simple, the first movie from the Coen brothers, is the first step in my chronological Coen education. Half-decent thriller too. Another pretty low budget enterprise I'd say but the sleazy world of Texas bar culture and double-crossing seems authentic enough. It has a sort of understated film noir feel to it. Nearly all the characters are corrupt and loserish. A few holes in the plot (unless I missed a couple of things) but I can forgive that. This is cinema. We tend to believe whatever we're told. Well worth catching up with.

Not the case with Raising Arizona. Sorry, but I didn't get it. At least, I didn't get the hour or so that I managed to watch. I couldn't bear to waste any more of my life beyond that point, so I turned it off and stared at the wall instead. Much more enjoyable. Maybe it was just me but the combination of Beverly Hillbillies humour and "Three Men and a Baby" cutesiness did nothing for me. I don't want to talk about it anymore. For me, a miss.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Messages In This Thread
Dead Man's Shoes/ Blood Simple / Raising Arizona - by El Gordo - 21-02-2007, 10:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Man Village glaconman 1 1,291 08-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  There Will Be Blood El Gordo 3 1,772 09-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  In Cold Blood / Capote El Gordo 6 2,635 14-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Sweder