Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meh.
17-03-2009, 08:18 PM,
Meh.
OK well I regret to report that my Canberra marathon campaign is over. :mad:

Two major scheduling hassles (work and family) have conspired to make the date unworkable for me. But in any case I have to confess to being somewhat relieved. My lack of mid-week runs and continual state of exhaustion (thanks to renovating and moving into new home) have not unexpectedly caught up with me and made this a real, and ultimately impossible trial. Last Sunday's long run was a not-negotiable 25km minimum, but I pulled up dead-in-the-water well short at 16km. Although I already knew by that stage that Canberra wasn't going to happen, the lack of training made it readily apparent that 42.2km was just too ambitious for me at this stage, and it was with mixed feelings that I pulled out, sat down and metaphorically tore up my Canberra race entry.

The good news however is that I remain injury-free, and so I will search for another suitable marathon at a more distant date and begin again. It ain't over folks, just post-poned slightly.

So apologies to those of you who professed such optimismistic enthusiasm for my chances - it really does make a difference and on more than one occasion reading your comments got me out there running when otherwise I might not have done so. But as I say, it's not over yet, I just need to find another race and start the process again. I'm nearly settled into the new house now and within a few weeks life will return to normal and 2-3 runs per week will become far easier to accomplish.

Ironically perhaps, despite my poor training I'm actually very pleased with my general state of fitness and health. I'm down to very nearly my ideal weight - which is the least I've weighed in over 20 years, so I actually have a good basis to begin again with a new marathon campaign, refreshed, enthusiastic and without housing hassles.

It will happen folks, it has to.
Run. Just run.

Messages In This Thread
Meh. - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 17-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Meh. - by suzieq - 18-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Meh. - by marathondan - 18-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Meh. - by Sweder - 18-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Meh. - by Seafront Plodder - 18-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Meh. - by El Gordo - 18-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Meh. - by Bierzo Baggie - 18-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Meh. - by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man - 25-03-2009, 06:30 AM