Running as therapy
25-10-2005, 09:17 PM,
Running as therapy
Hi everyone

Just musing on how running is contributing to my sanity in recent times. It may be useful for some of you in future.

As Andy knows, the recent couple of months have been the worst in my life. My Mum passed away from cancer in early September. By the end of September, my wife and I had separated and now I have moved from my dream home in the Canaries back to England to try to deal with such dramatic and traumatic times. I think the most stressful things in life are death of close relative, divorce and moving home. If you add moving country to that, then I have a full house!

Anyway, back to the point. Throughout the whole experience, I have kept running. During my runs I felt more positive than at any other time. It helped maintain my feeling of self worth. It gave me a feeling that I was still in control of something in my life. It kept me from getting overweight from the bad food I ate at times. It maintained my self confidence (at least of my physical self). And now, it is giving me a sense of achievement as I compete in races.

The moral is that whatever happens in life, running can help ease the pain. Even if only for short doses, it is welcome relief from otherwise deep pits of sadness and despair. It is a positive in a negative world. And look, I'm still here, typing a (sort of) positive message for others.

Thank you running.
And thank you guys for listening. Oh, this should also explain my change of name which Andy made exception for. (Thanks to you too mate).

Cheers all

JP
25-10-2005, 10:37 PM,
Running as therapy
Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations JP. Sounds like you've really been through the wringer these past few months. It's good to hear that you've found some solace trhrough your running. I find that a good long run is a great time to sort one's thoughts out.

Here's hoping that life starts dealing you some better cards.
26-10-2005, 04:01 PM,
Running as therapy
Well said Tim.
Running has prove cathartic for me, too JP.
When my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes our world pretty much stopped spinning for a while. I needed some way to 'do something' - it's a 'male thing', I'm told - and running came to my rescue. I've now run in 3 marathons raising money for diabetes research, helping more people than just my daughter, feeling damned good about myself in the process.

I agree that a long run can help you iron out your thoughts in muddled times.
I've had many occasions when work issues have been boiling my brain without respite and an evening plod has provided time and space for clear thinking.

All best wishes to you JP. Sound like you're in the frame of mind to ensure things get better from here on.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-10-2005, 06:18 PM,
Running as therapy
Thanks Tim, Sweder and Andy (in email)

Your good wishes are very much appreciated. I have some very low points each day, but this stuff helps.

JP
26-10-2005, 09:05 PM,
Running as therapy
just read your message JP, sorry somehow missed it earlier.

In the absence of anything to say, I simply wish you all the best.

Running certainly is therapy; the reason I have never joined a club is that I prefer to do my thinking en plod.

I posted a thread here a year or so ago about a young man called Andy Funnell, who was a world class windsurfer and tragically died in a jet-ski accident off the coast here where I run. He was just 21. http://www.runningcommentary.co.uk/forum....php?t=224 I never met the man but for some reason his death touched me greatly.

I count us all as fortunate that we have the health to do what we do, at whatever level we are.
26-10-2005, 09:34 PM,
Running as therapy
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I count us all as fortunate that we have the health to do what we do, at whatever level we are.

Let's all raise a glass -- real or fantasised about -- to that sentiment, SP.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-10-2005, 08:18 PM,
Running as therapy
Hi SP

Thanks for your good wishes too! And as I'm embarking on a career in the fitness industry soon (currently doing internationally recognised diploma in sports therapy if anyone fancies a sports massage?), I'll raise an orange juice to your sentiment.

JPWink
31-10-2005, 08:56 AM,
Running as therapy
I don't know how you are managing to stay this side of sanity, but long may it continue. Best of luck with your new career.
31-10-2005, 07:04 PM,
Running as therapy
Thanks for your good wishes SW. No probs for the sports massage when I'm your way. Have friends in Manchester so will let you know!

I'm not sure about hanging on to sanity much of the time, but I just try to keep a positive direction. When I can't, I can't, so I just wallow in misery for a day and hope I come out stronger. I'm told by people that I WILL be stronger after all this, but I've got to be honest and say at the moment I would prefer being weaker and still have my Mum and my wife!

Nuff said.
JP

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,840 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
Thumbs Up Running and the mind Seanmacrook 3 3,836 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Seanmacrook
  Running documentary (young fit and dying) Seanmacrook 5 6,721 07-05-2014, 08:29 AM
  Running Shoes in the Washing Machine Seafront Plodder 15 9,944 13-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Scott Jurek follows the Running Commentary Way marathondan 6 14,565 14-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Pythonesque running. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 11,605 27-10-2011, 09:35 PM
  Sad story about fell running old-timer El Gordo 1 9,707 09-10-2011, 07:57 PM
  Magnificent article on barefoot running. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 7 13,794 07-10-2011, 09:43 AM
  Help ! Running clubs in the Vera, Huercal, Garrucha Mojacar area PhilD 1 13,317 28-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  On the dangers of running The Beast of Bevendean 2 12,347 25-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Sweder