Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burp!
19-10-2005, 06:54 PM,
Burp!
I’m feeling fat and unfit at the moment. As mentioned in a previous thread, our little Adrian was born on 17th September. Since then, quite rightly, running has been a sporadic pasttime. We have been staying with the in-laws since Bea left hospital, giving her the chance to recover and to get used to being a mum. There hasn’t been time for much running, what with the shop, bathing, nappy changing and burping duties. Four times in the last month is my grand total. I have missed a few races, Mugardos was one I ran last year and enjoyed, Carral last weekend was another, which I wanted to run for the first time. This weekend is the 12.5 km Santiago race, one that I’m determined to run. Luckily, Bea also wants to watch the race , so it’ll be the first family day at the races (weather permitting for them).

So there is the goal, run this Sunday. The problem is how to recover a month’s worth of lost ground. Things could have been a little easier if it were not for the mother-in-law’s cooking. Lunch has become a three course affair, supper quite often being presented as a ‘plato combinado’ with ‘postre’. My addiction to chocolate, which I have had under tight control for the last couple of years has been cruelly exploited by the family to provide amusement – despite my protests and analogies to crack cocaine addicts (well, would you produce a crack pipe for an addict to accompany their after dinner coffee?). I know I should be grateful and all that, but the net result of this month has been an extra 3.5 kilos on the chassis. Three and a half kilos on top of a month’s worth of inactivity.

It’s far from ideal but I’ve had to start somewhere so I have started running to and from the shop. It’s a measly 3 kilometers each way, but at least they are kilometers, and there are twelve of them all told every day. Roll on Sunday, but in the mean time, pass me another plate of ‘albondigas’ and go on then, just a couple of ‘onzas’ of Nestlé Superfino. Burp!
19-10-2005, 08:07 PM,
Burp!
The perfect excuse, RB. I wouldn't worry about it.....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-10-2005, 08:53 PM,
Burp!
Congratulations for your little boy, Brian.

Good luck on Sunday. I´ll be taking part at Granada half marathon too.

All the best

Antonio

20-10-2005, 06:38 AM,
Burp!
Brian, nice to hear from you again. Santiago is a good one to start not easy one but beautiful, great participation and wonderful city. Let´s call it "A day at the races" for you and your new member of the crew.
I'll try to be there too if i recover from a cold that i cought last weekend and keeps me without any runing activity.
See you there then brian....
26-10-2005, 12:25 PM,
Burp!
Oooh, top of the list this week. I'd better write something then. Later on I'll recount my experiences in the Santiago race. But now it is time for more albondigas.