Starting Over
20-09-2005, 10:24 AM,
Starting Over
Right, I mean it this time. I've just been catching up on the many excellent recent posts, and have been shamed into action. This evening I'm out that door. I can't miss out on September. It's the best running month in the calendar (along with April perhaps).
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-09-2005, 12:37 PM,
Starting Over
andy Wrote:Right, I mean it this time. I've just been catching up on the many excellent recent posts, and have been shamed into action. This evening I'm out that door. I can't miss out on September. It's the best running month in the calendar (along with April perhaps).

I had a wonderful run last friday along some lanes I'd never explored before. I don't think I've ever seen the hedgerows so laden with berries as this year. There were hips, haws, elderberries, blackberries and even some sloes on my route and I was forced to stop and eat a good many blackberries before I got home. Definitely a good time to be out exporing.

Have you decided upon any targets/events for the coming year? I personally like to have at least one target for the year to keep me motivated but I recognise that not every runner needs one. I'm told it's possible to do it just for fun. ;-)
20-09-2005, 04:55 PM,
Starting Over
Good to here from a berry expert. And it'll be mushroom season soon!
20-09-2005, 05:06 PM,
Starting Over
Tim Wrote:Have you decided upon any targets/events for the coming year? I personally like to have at least one target for the year to keep me motivated but I recognise that not every runner needs one. I'm told it's possible to do it just for fun. ;-)

Tim, good to hear from you. I'm still a bit annoyed with myself about flunking Loch Ness, so I'm being slightly hesitant about announcing anything at the moment. I need to stack up a couple of short races - probably 10K - for November or December, just to get moving again, and I'll aim to do the Cliveden (Berkshire) race just after Christmas. Not long - about 6 miles but hilly and icy. Good fun.

Next year I definitely need to line up a marathon but I'm not yet sure which. Sweder is going for Paris, and I'm tempted to join him so that I can offer support to the people we know doing the FLM a week later - safe in the knowledge that the strain is behind me. But I might apply for London just for the hell of it. Unlikely to get in though.

Apart from that, I don't know. It would be nice to be working towards one of your sort of races but I don't know if I'll be up to it. At least you don't have to book them a long way in advance.

How about you? More mega-torture races I presume? Go on, shock us... Eek
El Gordo

21-09-2005, 08:51 AM,
Starting Over
Delighted to hear you are going for a toddle round. I was just going to place a message to ask how you Watershed is :-)
21-09-2005, 05:41 PM,
Starting Over
andy Wrote:How about you? More mega-torture races I presume? Go on, shock us... Eek

Well nothing definite yet. I'd like to have another crack at the WHW next year (and go sub 24hr) but that's dependant on it not clashing with the Playtex Moonwalk that my wife wants to do. If there's a clash it'll just have to be the Marathon of Britain instead. It's a bit longer but they let you do it over 6 days, cheating really. ;-)

In the immediate future I'm hoping to do the Pentland Skyline again, a lovely race over the Pentland hill with 6200 odd feet of ascent. (See http://www.carnethy.com/ri_skyline.htm)
22-09-2005, 07:32 AM,
Starting Over
Thanks SW, long time no 'speak'.

I did manage a run at last this morning. Will talk about it later.
El Gordo