Update
31-08-2005, 09:38 PM,
Update
OK, I've had a terrible August, but that's it. It's over.

Tomorrow's September 1st, a good psychological point to make a change.

I've promised myself not to be obsessed with weighing scales and targets; I need to get healthy again, and get moving. I've had a holiday, that's all, and all holidays must end.

I won't run tomorrow; I need at least a couple of days of informal detox, but after that, I'll get moving.

Seems most of us Brits have had a pretty lazy summer - some lazier than others (Nigel's kept the goody-goody flag flying). Our mates in Spain have put us to shame, haring up and down steep mountains in the searing heat, while I've grumbled about my long plods along the canal on a warm Sunday morning. Thanks for the inspiration, guys. I feel suitably scolded.

Tomorrow, here I come.....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
01-09-2005, 03:19 PM,
Update
Good to see you back Andy. I was a tad worried that you'd hung up your running shoes but as I've recently found, sometimes you do need a little time out to get a bit of perspective on things.

A combination of holiday and post WHW race injuries has kept my mileage way down and my speed has suffered greatly as a consequence. Despite that, I really enjoyed two races that I did recently. Timewise I was nowhere but I was able to take a mental "back seat" so to speak in both of them and just enjoy the running.

Of course I would like to run faster as running fast is fun, but it's not the most important thing. Enjoying the run in good company is important too.

As fate would have it, when I'm at my unfittest for absolutely ages, I've committed myself to the Ben Nevis race this weekend (that bl**dy Richard Askwith has a lot to answer for). ;-)

Anyway, I hope you rediscover the joy of running again.
01-09-2005, 04:44 PM,
Update
Well met, stout fellow!
And that's supposed to make you feel better . . .

I've started slogging up my local hills this week after a fairly pathetic endeavour in Montreal. Managed 2 miles Monday (day of return), 4 on Tuesday, day off yesterday and just contemplating a 5 miler tonight pre-geriatric badminton night (don't ask).

Welcome home.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

01-09-2005, 11:21 PM,
Update
I'm in serious danger of breaking the bathroom scales at the moment. A summer diet of beer, barbeques and the ubiquitous curry have taken their toll without check, without thought. I can feel it, and it's not good. It's got to stop! Soon.

All too occasional runs of 3 or so miles - twice a week, more out of guilt than anything else. Not really good enough is it?

3 weeks from now I have another of those god-awful alcohol-soaked French golf trips to endure - and then it stops (or starts, depending on your point of view).

October will see the start of the long climb back to fitness, culminating in next year's FLM. Yes next month I shall begin again. Honest.

You have my word.
02-09-2005, 08:19 AM,
Update
I only got out 3 times in August. Too hot. Excuses ..excuses...

Tim. Keep us informed about that Ben Nevis race. (My dad had an unfortunate accident there a few months ago whilst trying to do something called The 3 Peaks challenge...ended up in Inverness hospital). Ta!
02-09-2005, 12:43 PM,
Update
Atta boy, Andy!! It's been a brutally hot, humid summer here. Every run was a battle, but it's starting to cool down and things are getting easier. This is a perfect time to get back at it. Are you still planning on running Loch Ness and Dublin with me? Smile
03-09-2005, 09:35 PM,
Update
I've got a half marathon in 4 weeks and due to this hot weather i've only managed once or twice a week. I forced myself out yesterday for 45 mins but it was murder as it was so damn hot. I've been really good tonight and not had a drink (which is a first for a Saturday night!) because according to the training plan i've gotta do a 100 min easy run and I need to have a clear head! I've decided i'm gonna get up early and do a morning run incase it's going to be another hot one but i'd rather run mid afternoon as i'm not good in the morning. I just hope it cools down soon so I can get on with some serious training for the 2nd October
03-09-2005, 10:16 PM,
Update
Just completed a 5 mile lope across the downs myself this evening. Set off around 7.30 pm, was treated to a beautiful sun-set, the air warm but rapidly cooling. Definately the best time for a run at the moment.

Mrs S and Phoebe are taking part in the Hydro Active Challenge for Women tomorrow (Sunday) in Hyde Park, raising funds for JDRF. It's a crack o' dawn start for us all, but the prospect of attending without having to run, getting to lurk around and take pictures plus the promise of a visit to the Hard Rock afterwards makes this unmissable.

Coverage on BBC 2 from around 4pm-ish.
5K may not sound like much, but for these ladies it's long enough.
Good luck to all forumites taking part.

04-09-2005, 08:24 PM,
Update
Hey Andy - if you're looking for a comiserative run in October to help bury the body of the Monster, how about the Jog Shop Jog on 16th October? Still 6 weeks away, only 20 miles (OK, it's a bit hilly, but it's not a PB course, more of an extended tour of some lovely countryside) and entry even on the day's only a tenner, 8 quid if you book before 10/10.

Just a thought . . .

05-09-2005, 08:51 AM,
Update
Sweder Wrote:only 20 miles... a bit hilly . . .
I appreciate the thought, Sweder. I will, er, I will think about it.....
El Gordo

05-09-2005, 02:00 PM,
Update
Sweder Wrote:Just completed a 5 mile lope across the downs myself this evening. Set off around 7.30 pm, was treated to a beautiful sun-set, the air warm but rapidly cooling. Definately the best time for a run at the moment.

Mrs S and Phoebe are taking part in the Hydro Active Challenge for Women tomorrow (Sunday) in Hyde Park, raising funds for JDRF. It's a crack o' dawn start for us all, but the prospect of attending without having to run, getting to lurk around and take pictures plus the promise of a visit to the Hard Rock afterwards makes this unmissable.

Coverage on BBC 2 from around 4pm-ish.
5K may not sound like much, but for these ladies it's long enough.
Good luck to all forumites taking part.

Hi Sweder, how did the girls get on yesterday in Hyde park? Damn, I missed the coverage on tv due to being in the pub all afternoonWink I managed to do a 100 min run yesterday despite the hot weather so now i'm feeling more motivated about the next few weeks. How long did it take you to do 5 miles the other night?
05-09-2005, 03:48 PM,
Update
Hi Miss C.
Take a look in the JDRF Forum under 'Hydro Active Challenge for Women' - there's a report and some photos there - http://www.runningcommentary.co.uk/forum...6#post4926

Adele is not directly involved in the Bristol Half, although she does provide support/ training info from our stock of FLM stuff. A lot of the regional runs are under control of the local JDRF offices. To find out more contact Adele at aclaase@jdrf.org.uk

The 5 miles the other night took me a shade over 45 minutes, which is about 5 minutes longer than it does when I'm in reasonable running nick (this is relative of course - 'reasonable' for me would be considered 'knackered' by some of the athletes here). I'm off again tonight - I had hoped to slip a cheeky 8-miler in, but time (and daylight) is against me.

Work is the curse of the running classes!

23-09-2005, 12:38 PM,
Update
Iceman Wrote:Atta boy, Andy!! It's been a brutally hot, humid summer here. Every run was a battle, but it's starting to cool down and things are getting easier. This is a perfect time to get back at it. Are you still planning on running Loch Ness and Dublin with me? Smile

Rick, sorry that I missed your message. It's reminded me that I need to publicise your fundraising. I'll do that soon.

An autumn marathon is out the window for me, I'm afraid. I blew it.

I'll post something up for you shortly.
El Gordo

29-09-2005, 07:57 AM,
Update
Andy,
Here's the race to restore your faith in running. A spectacular 20 mile off-road circuit....it's the race I've always wanted to do but never have!
It's for March 2006 with a limit of 2000 runners and they've already received 1800 entries so be quick! No Loch Ness monster this year? well, the grizzly awaits......
http://www.lmrbean.plus.com/avr/forms/grizzly1.htm
29-09-2005, 01:17 PM,
Update
I couldn't get that link to work. Looking at http://www.lmrbean.plus.com/avr/events/grizzly.htm would seem to suggest that entry has now closed. :-(

That's another one on my "to do" list.

Never mind, there's still 25 places left for the Marathon of Britain....

http://www.britvicmarathonofbritain.com/bmob06
06-10-2005, 12:46 PM,
Update
andy Wrote:Rick, sorry that I missed your message. It's reminded me that I need to publicise your fundraising. I'll do that soon.

An autumn marathon is out the window for me, I'm afraid. I blew it.

I'll post something up for you shortly.

No worries, Andy. I just finished getting my website up last week http://neverdieeasy.org/ . I've been running behind schedule on the whole project (pun intended).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  training update two oceans marathon amit 12 8,352 25-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Update El Gordo 0 972 20-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Update El Gordo 3 1,478 04-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Update El Gordo 3 1,545 05-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Running log update El Gordo 0 1,148 14-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Last Post: El Gordo