Almería half marathon. 29th January 2006
20-07-2005, 09:08 PM,
Please Note: I've merged a couple of threads that deal with the same subject.

As Nigel, Sweder, Seafront Plodder, Suzie and Antonio will know,
we enjoyed a very successful trip to Almeria (Southern Spain) at the end of January this year to take part in the half marathon, and generally have some fun.

Antonio (who lives in Almeria) recently asked if we were planning on coming again in 2006. The answer is... I really have no idea.

Personally, I'd be very happy to repeat it, either as a small private group again, or to do what I did talk about doing - organising a larger party on a semi-commercial basis.

That's still a possibility, but just wondered if any of the regulars here had had any thoughts about either Almeria again in 2006, or whether they would consider it if we tried another destination, in Spain or elsewhere, or even fancied both.

It's not that hard for me as we don't have kids, but I know that some people need a lot of advance warning, so thought it worth bringing up the subject now.

Also, let me emphasise that this message is for everyone, not just the guys who came last year. I know there are a lot of visitors to this site who never post here, but please consider yourself included. You can post a message here or mail me at [EMAIL="trip@runningcommentary.net"]trip@runningcommentary.net[/EMAIL].

The Almeria weekend was surprisingly inexpensive, so please don't let cost put you off.

So. Any thoughts?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
21-07-2005, 10:54 AM,
I had planned a reasoned and clever response . . .

. . .. but WE'VE JUST TAKEN THE 4TH AUSSIE WICKET OF THE MORNING IN THE 1ST ASHES TEST AT LORDS!!!! COME ON!!!! 66 for 4!!!! Aaaargh!

(sound of van doors slamming and Sweder being dragged gibbering from his office . . . )

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

21-07-2005, 11:00 AM,
... calmed down a bit now.
I'm sure they'll recover from 66 for 4 to about 800 for 7 . . .

Anyway, yes . . . trips.
Absolutely a good idea, and I don't see why you shouldn't open it up to other RC members and/ or non-members on a commercial basis. It depends on how you feel about having to organise everything for more people - my experience (golf trips mostly) tells me the organiser tends to get little time to smell the roses.

Almeria would be fun, as would one of the northern Spanish locations.
Frankly I'm not too worried where we go - it's the people that make it for me.
But I'm certainly up for a trip.

21-07-2005, 01:51 PM,
I would love to take part in another RC trip. But all depends on when and where. I do plan on doing the London marathon next year...but if I was able to book my flight from here on points anything is possible.

Suzie
21-07-2005, 06:11 PM,
Hi Suzie. That's three of us! SP is on his hols in Malta but I'm pretty sure he'd say yes, too. I'd still like to come out to Calgary some time - I'm spending late August in Montreal on business, so I'm getting close®!

Sweder Wrote:... calmed down a bit now.
I'm sure they'll recover from 66 for 4 to about 800 for 7 . . .
Ha ha ha, should have known (shakes head ruefully).
Knocked 'em over for 190-odd, cock-a-hoop, and then CRASH - down comes the Reality Curtain and it's English batsmen all over the shop, on their backs, legs in the air like poisoned roaches.

Sport. Bloody hell . . .

21-07-2005, 07:15 PM,
Sweder - At least Montreal is in the same country, although a few thousand miles away, but it is getting you closer. Calgary is the oil and gas capital of Canada so one day you should make it out here - being you're in the business. And Calgary does have some of the best running paths of any city - virtually can run miles and miles without having to run on roads. Not like running in the English countryside, but still nice.

Suzie
24-07-2005, 09:38 PM,
It would be great if you all and more people could come next year but if you decide somewhere else, in Spain, Uk, Canada or soemwhere else, I´d also love to go if I could.

Anyway, I´ll see tomorrow if they have decided the date for Almería half marathon next year, which they probably won´t. I´m afraid that it won´t be official until October but it will probably be the last Sunday in January.

Greetings from Almería.

Antonio

24-07-2005, 09:53 PM,
Hi Antonio

Good to hear from you. I haven't given up the idea of going to Almeria, perhaps as well as another trip. I did talk about organising a trip, though it's tricky when we don't know the date yet.

So anyway, without prejudicing the Almeria possibility, does anyone have any ideas? January or February are good, as they give us a break from winter.
El Gordo

25-07-2005, 02:49 PM,
There's not much in Galicia in January/February. There's the half marathon just over the border in Viana do Castelo in northern Portugal which is a small affair with a pretty fast field and undulating route. The last 2k is on horrid cobblestones though. There's a marathon in Badajoz the same weekend as Almería but I'd imagine that Almería is a lot more pleasant than Badajoz for a weekend away. Perhaps BB knows of something in Castilla Leon.
The biggest and most pleasant races here in Galicia are

Vigo-Baiona half marathon (end of March or early April)
Santiago 12.5 km end of October
San Martiño 10.4 km in Orense (November)
Lugo Monumental 10 km (2nd week in December)

Also fairly close by, and easy to get to, but on 7th October, Porto marathon and half marathon.
25-07-2005, 09:53 PM,
I talked to the person in charge of the half marathon in Almería this morning. He assured me that it will be held on Sunday 29th January. It would be wonderful if you could come, Andy, as well as anyone else. We could all have a good time together that weekend and have "paella" after the half marathon as we did last year.

I´m going to try London marathon next year but if I´m not lucky in the ballot, I´d like to go to a half marathon in the UK where we all could meet again.

Best Wishes

Antonio

30-07-2005, 09:00 PM,
All the races that RB mentions are highly recommendable, but especially the Santiago 12.5k, Santiago being the cultural capital of Galicia. The race finish in the main square in front of the cathedral is excellent. Bit of a long way for such a short race though...
30-07-2005, 09:04 PM,
It sounds good, BB, but it's a tricky time of year for me, and I suspect, others.

I also have this thing about not travelling too far for a 10km. Personally, I'd like to aim for a half marathon if possible.
El Gordo

31-07-2005, 07:59 PM,
More ideas. Around here I’d only really recommend the Aquilianos route (see my training diary entry at the start of June). This event is great as an introduction to ultra running, mountain running or you can simply take it as a very pleasant day’s walk. It’s accessible for everybody. Whether you run, walk or mix the two is up to you!
There’s also the marathon of Toral de los Vados of course, but a marathon in Spain in July wouldn’t exactly be my idea of a holiday.

Another good ‘n is the superb Valtiendas nocturnal marathon which is held in August in a village near near Valladolid (Ryan airlines fly there from Stanstead). I descibed it in a diary entry in July but briefly, it’s run in pairs at night (oo err), there’s an excellent atmosphere and it’s the only marathon I know with glasses of sangría lined up at the drinks stations. Somewhat different, but great fun and being run at night the heat isn’t such of a factor.

I should be able to get to any of the Galicia races and the ones mentioned above.
Also, J P Fuerteventura mentioned a while back a couple of races in Lanzarote. I’d love to get over to the Canary Islands some day (never been). Lanzarote ironman anybody? (only joking).

Sorry, don't know of any decent half marathons. Maybe the one in Vigo RB?
09-10-2005, 04:04 PM,
Time to revive this thread. There seems to be reasonable enthusiasm for another trip, but we just need to decide where.

Of the races that have been mentioned so far we only really have Almeria (29 Jan) that fits the bill of a half marathon in Jan or Feb.

The Vigo-Baiona half marathon was mentioned. Sounds good, though the date (end of March or early April) would clash with the London Marathon which some are doing, and other events. March and April are frantic months for UK running. Every weekend there are several enticing races. Then after April it starts to get warm, hence the thought that January or February might be best.

So, what are our realistic options? I'd be happy to go back to Almeria, and it's good to have Antonio around to help arrange things. The only negative for me is just that I like to see different places, but maybe that's no big deal.

I've tried searching for races in Spain for next year. Here are some useful links:

List of Jan-May races (2005)

There's Torremolinos 6 Feb

Orihuela (near Alicante) Half in mid-Feb

Getafe Half (Madrid, I think) - same day as Almeria

So there are a few ideas to start. We could also think about somewhere other than Spain of course.

Any thoughts?
El Gordo

09-10-2005, 05:54 PM,
DEFINATELY prefer early year - Jan/ Feb.
Not committed to a Spring Marathon yet - still off running due to lingering virus - but no doubt will be, so an early year half would be a great yardstick.
Alméria was great, and it would be fun to compare performance with last time - not to mention the excellent value of the entry.

I'll vote for Alméria unless something more enticing comes along in the next week or so. Also, best set a deadline for commitments/ decisions so we can get travel deals/ time off organised.

09-10-2005, 07:14 PM,
This might whet your appetite.

Almeria 2005.

These are SP's pictures. Some of them aren't very well optimised (my fault). I'll do them properly when I get round to it. I've been hunting for Antonio's pictures this afternoon. Found the CD case but no CD in it. Always worrying. I will locate it, and I will upload them too.
El Gordo

09-11-2005, 06:34 PM,
Although the website has not been updated yet, there is some information on the half marathon. It has been confirmed the date on 29th January 2006. However, the start time is not determined yet. It will probably be at 10 am.

It would be great to have you here again as well as any other forumites. I´d be glad to help you with the entries, lodging, etc.

http://www.todofondo.com/

Saludos desde Almería Greetings from Almería

PS. My next aim is Benidorm half marathon on 27th November. There´s a marathon on the same date but I think I´d better try another half.

http://www.benidorm.org/portal/portal_de..._benidorm/

11-11-2005, 12:32 AM,
Hi Antonio. I think I may come out for the Almeria race. M is away that weekend, so it could be a good opportunity for me to get away for a couple of days.
El Gordo

11-11-2005, 01:08 AM,

Attached Files Image(s)

11-11-2005, 08:41 AM,
OK, who's up for it then?

Here are flight times. This year you can fly from Gtwick, though the flight time isn't friendly.

London Gatwick to Almeria: all flights
Fri 27 January
Sat 28 January
£17.99
flight 5163
dep. 06:50, arr. 10:30
--------------------------------------
London Stansted to Almeria: all flights
Fri 27 January
£19.49
flight 3857
dep. 11:25, arr. 15:20

Sat 28 January
flight 3855
dep. 13:00, arr. 16:55
------------------------------------

Will add more later.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,703 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,040 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,070 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,342 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,917 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  Thankyou from Almeria Heather 55 1 5,760 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Anyone from the Almeria Area? Heather 55 4 6,193 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,798 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM