pollen and breathing difficulties
01-07-2005, 01:03 PM,
The stange stromy weather we have been having has apparently led to country wide problems with previously unaffected people experiencing acute asthma attacks.

Haven't had an asthma attack, and haven't got hay fever, but have been having real breathing problems when running in the evenings for the past week, it's a bit like running running through treacle, I feel I just can't draw enough oxygen into my lungs and am permanently out of breath.

Any suggestions? I've tried anti-histamines, but they don't make any difference.
03-07-2005, 09:50 PM,
In the absense of anybody else wading in and post a reply, I'd have to say that it sounds like exercise induced asthma. You might not be wheezing obviously but I wouldn't let that get in the way of the diagnosis.

As you suspect, the prevailing conditions are probably causing/aggravating it. Best get yourself down to your doctor's and discuss it with him/her.

Tim
05-07-2005, 08:15 AM,
Thanks Tim, and sorry for the lack of responses, SW - I guess it's just not something that the regulars know much about. Tim's advice sounds about right though.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-07-2005, 09:14 AM,
Tim and Andy, my latest runs have been OK, I can only surmise that it was poor air quality that was causing the problem. I wondered if anyone else had been feeling below par?

Andy - how is the writing coming on? Will you be wanting any of us to proof read/comment before you find a publisher???
Phew this is hard work !
05-07-2005, 10:26 AM,
I don't have asthma, but I do have a cat allergy which manifests itself in asthma-like symptoms.

Went to the GP and having blown into that tube thing to confirm my lung capacity was normal, I couldn't believe the ease at which he was happy to give me a ventolin inhaler to use "as required".

If your symptoms persist SW, perhaps it's worth a try, (or do you have any asthmatic friends?)

Not advice, just a thought.