Lanzarote multi terrain 3 stage marathon
14-06-2005, 06:42 PM,
Well, I've had a great weekend - Saturday, Sunday & Monday hacking across rocky, amazing wilderness on Lanzarote. The whole marathon distance split into 3 races, run over 3 days.

Day one, 13.51km, mainly uphill, over rock, dirt track, sandy sections and finishing on road at a pretty church just outside Club La Santa (the organisers). Felt strong and finished like a train. Already thinking "what a great event!". Fellow competitors were really friendly and there was a general feelgood factor. The winner came in 51 mins after the gun and I came in just under 65 mins.

Day two, 14.03km, in the mountains through lava fields and vine growing regions, up hill, downhill, rock, dirt track and road. Scenery even better than day one and again, I felt good, surprisingly good. Finished like a train again 30 secs faster than on day one, despite being further. The winner comes home in 52 mins. Afterwards, the local mayor treats the whole contingent to a tapas lunch next to the church. What a great way to round off a race!

Day three, 14.66km mainly downhill over some very tricky terrain, rock, loose stones etc. Legs feeling seriously tired before I even started, but somehow I blot out the pain and just go for it. This time I change my tactics and start near the front with the intention of hanging on. I lose very few places, go hard on the downhill sections and just 'cope' on the uphill parts. Coming into the stadium at Club La Santa, once again, I finish with a serious burst of speed in 63 mins.

My combined times for the 3 races total 3hrs 12mins 26secs and I came 17th out of 49 finishers (other people did one or two races for various reasons). I was chuffed to bits and hope to be fit and healthy next year, as this experience is a 'must do' for me now.

Anyone want to join me next year? It is just brill!

Cheers

JP
PS My legs ache...
15-06-2005, 12:47 PM,
That's a FANTASTIC time JP! hope you give your legs a well earned rest/massage :-) Would love to join you but don't think my ankles would withstand the terrain.

But congratulations - brilliant.
15-06-2005, 06:11 PM,
Nice one JP. It sounded fun...I bet this was a fairly "international" sort of event. Here in the north west of Spain me and Raizor Blue seem to be the only Brits running (him more than me at the moment!)
15-06-2005, 06:19 PM,
Thanks SW & BB

Yes, this event was full of British, German, Danish, Spanish and Canarians. The British took the spoils pretty much across the board though. There was great cameraderie among the runners and I didn't realise until now that it's possible to run 3 days in succession at a fast pace. It's a real confidence builder.
16-06-2005, 05:40 PM,
Having had a few days to bask in the glow of the '3 stage', I am planning to either do:

Lanzarote 10k, Nov 27th
Lanzarote Marathon or Half, Dec 3rd

Or if I can raise the cash:
Lanzarote International Running Challenge - 4 days Nov 27th-30th

Who fancies joining me? If you want to stay here in Fuerte and travel across with me, I can arrange accomodation, but Club La Santa is highly recommended!

JP
17-06-2005, 09:19 PM,
Well run JP, sounds like you're in good form at the moment. The race sounds really interesting. Never been to Lanzarote, and didn't realise it had this sort of terrain. Remind us about it next time round and you never know, one or two of us could be tempted.....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-06-2005, 10:14 PM,
Well done JP. Don't know how you can run this fast on successive days. My legs are stiff and heavy for at least a couple of days after a challenging run- and it sounds as though they were all extremely knackering runs.
29-06-2005, 02:51 PM,
JP Fuerteventura Wrote:My combined times for the 3 races total 3hrs 12mins 26secs and I came 17th out of 49 finishers (other people did one or two races for various reasons). I was chuffed to bits and hope to be fit and healthy next year, as this experience is a 'must do' for me now.

Anyone want to join me next year? It is just brill!

Cheers

JP
PS My legs ache...

Well done JP! Sounds like a nice series of races. I've often been tempted by some of these Lanzarote races, particularly the longer multi-terrain ones. Maybe this will push me into entering one after the New Year.

Cheers.

Tim
30-06-2005, 12:16 PM,
Thanks Tim

FYI, there is a 10k on 27th November and a marathon on 3rd December 2005. However, the one people miss is the International Running Challenge. It starts with the same 10k which has become the Lanzarote 10k Classic. Then, there are 3 more days of running - a 13k, 5k and then... 23k! 4 days of continuous racing really is a challenge. Also, I´m told some people to the 4 day challenge, have 2 days rest AND then do the marathon! I may save myself for the 10k, OR the challenge OR the marathon, but everything? Naah!

Hope everyone is training well. I return to England on 6th July and am running the 5 mile race in Downham Market, Norfolk on 7th and a 10k in Bungay on the 13th if anyone fancies a gallop. I have to make the most of the frequent race schedule available in the UK!

Cheers

JP
30-06-2005, 06:19 PM,
I looked at the marathon but it's a road marathon *ugh!* If I'm flying to Lanzarote for a race it had better be through lava fields and over volcanos or I'm not bothering.

They did one like that a couple of years back (with very limited water stops) which really appealed to me and I thought it was an annual event but it would seem not. :-(

Maybe it'll be back.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,835 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,069 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,587 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,378 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,941 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,915 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Katy.a
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,928 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
  training update two oceans marathon amit 12 8,342 25-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Whos doing the Dublin Marathon 2007 Gersrunning 27 14,542 25-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Last Post: lizoconnortalk21
  2008 London Marathon Places Grooms-Shaftesbury 0 2,676 14-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Grooms-Shaftesbury