'Runners' by Roger Hart
30-05-2005, 09:59 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
This piece of writing is inspired. Inspired by Dylan Thomas I think. It's brilliant.
Does anybody else know of any quality writing on the subject of running?
30-05-2005, 10:28 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
It's my favourite piece of running writing.

It's one of my favourite pieces of writing, full stop.

Inspired by Dylan Thomas? Interesting observation. You mean the way it just rolls and flows and snowballs and builds its own poetic momentum? I'd not thought of DT, but you could be right.

As for other quality running writing, I'm fond of Julie Welch. I also like (the much maligned) Ozzie Gontang, even if he doesn't asnswer my emails. I guess it depends on what you class as good writing.

Do you have any recommendations?

--------------------------

Uh, sorry, welcome, by the way.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
30-05-2005, 11:30 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Just in case people don't know what we're talking about...

http://www.runningcommentary.net/writing...s_hart.htm
El Gordo

31-05-2005, 10:45 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
I was thinking of Dylan Thomas's short stories rather than his poetry- read A Child's Christmas in Wales or Quite Early One Morning and you'll see what I mean. Roger Hart's love of running comes across brilliantly; he is totally honest about the insanity of running 100 miles a week, year after year, yet after reading his article all you want to do is run. I would like to go to some of the places he describes.
I like Running Commentary because you are also honest about some of the frustrations and negative aspects of running but that is encouragement to those of us who are 'human' and feel a bit rubbish sometimes.
I haven't read much about running before but am thinking of reading Paula Radcliffe's autobiography- if I do I'll let you know what I think.
31-05-2005, 11:08 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Please do, batman.

To be honest, I've heard some less-than-flattering opinions about the Radcliffe book. The general view is that it's an interesting story, but not particularly well written. But I've not read it, so what do I know...?

Glad you find some encouragement in the site. I had a 5 mile run this evening with Nigel of this parish, and was very out of condition - so expect to read a bit more downer stuff before the, er, before the Roger Hart effect begins to permeate through.....
El Gordo

01-06-2005, 07:58 AM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
I've read it.

Attached Files Image(s)

04-06-2005, 10:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2005, 10:09 AM by JP the Dream Chaser.)
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Hi

Thanks for the tip on the 'Running' article. I'll give it a look after posting this. I have recently finished the above book by Askwith (I think its Richard or Robert - can't check as it's packed away ready for a house move).

It's all about fell running, which I don't do, nor am I likely to. However, it's a fascinating read. He describes both the experience of fell running, the enormous challenges available to the committed (or commitable!) fell runner, but also covers the history of the sport. This introduces some of the superhuman characters who have achieved feats of unbelievable heroism, beyond anything imaginable by mere human beings.

There is also a personal element of his quest to complete the Bob Graham round. From memory, this is a mere 42 peaks in the Lake District, covered in a continuous period of 24 hours (72 miles up and down mountains!). All those who achieve this are automatically memebrs of the BG club of something just over 100 members to date.

It's all good stuff and I recommend it thoroughly whether fell running is your thing or not.

Cheers

JP
04-06-2005, 10:07 AM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
I've nearly finished it, JP. Agree that it's a very good read.

How's your running going? Have you decided which marathon to go for yet?
El Gordo

04-06-2005, 10:18 AM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Hi Andy

It's a sort of long story on the substitute marathon for the sponsorship, my damaged ego etc. Here's the plan:

1. Make a solid assault on the Lanzarote 3 stage marathon next weekend. This consists of the 26.2 miles split up over 3 days - day one 12.61km ALL uphill on dirt tracks; day two - 14.17km in the mountains on the lava rock/loose stones; day three - 15.42km ALL downhill finishing in the stadium at Club La Santa. Overall, I see this as more damaging to my legs than the full marathon may be, but better for my general health - I'll let you know!

2. Race a couple of short races in England when I visit my parents in early July.

3. I have an entry for the GNR in September through Macmillan.

The Lanzarote and the GNR are my replacement for doing London. I think my sponsors will be more than satisfied with the one race being replaced by two 'heavyweight' races.

Anyway, I digress:

4. I may do the Lanzarote marathon on 1st December 2005 as a 'tester' for London 2006.

5. I have re-entered the London Marathon for April 2006 and plan to 'do the business' this time!

I'm looking forward to all of it too!

JP
04-06-2005, 10:20 AM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Wow, that's excellent. I'd not heard of that Lanzarote race before - sounds interesting and pretty challenging. Do let us know how you get on.

Best of luck.
El Gordo

04-06-2005, 10:27 AM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Thanks Andy

I'm writing an article on the 3 stage race next weekend for a Lanzarote and Fuerteventura magazine. I have recently started selling advertising for them, with the intention of developing my role on the writing & photography side of things. This is a handy little coincidence for me.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Cheers

JP
05-06-2005, 07:17 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Just read the Roger Hart article. Yes, its a good read. It could easily have been made into a full book couldn't it!

JP
05-06-2005, 10:02 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a look at Feet in the Clouds next time I'm in a book shop.
05-06-2005, 10:06 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
It came out in paperback a month or two back. Amazon were knocking it out for about £7 if I remember rightly.
El Gordo

06-06-2005, 12:08 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Made me feel tired just reading about it - good luck JP and with the article too. Watch out you don't turn your ankle on the loose stuff.

(how come you have managed to enter London 2006 already??)
06-06-2005, 12:37 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
Thanks for the good wishes SW. I'm looking forward to the challenge of the 3 stage marathon. Regarding London, I withdrew due to illness and the form for re-entering for 2006 has already arrived and been sent back. If you withdraw in time you get a guaranteed entry for next year (once only) provided you pay the entry fee again of course!

I dare say an article might be crow-barred into my mag around March & April 2006!

Cheers
JP
06-06-2005, 03:40 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
that you were invalided out of the great struggle, my husband has deferred too whereas us poor souls who didn't get in in the first place have to wait in line!!

Never mind, Hope you enjoy your weekend, although endure might be more to the point ;-)
07-06-2005, 03:04 PM,
'Runners' by Roger Hart
In between my Baggie birth and Bierzo present I lived for much of my childhood in East Devon and very occassionally ran with a bunch of loveable eccentrics called The Axe Valley Runners. One of the “runners” goes by the name of “The lean, mean, runner bean” and it was on his webpage, full of running writing, that I first came across the above cited article. It sure seems to be on everybody’s favourite running literature list. There’s plenty of other good stuff there too. Take a look.
http://www.lmrbean.plus.com/
Also, here’s the page of The Axe Valley Runners who organize amongst other events The Grizzly (would love to do this one year) and the midsummer dream footpath marathon (running, beer and cream teas...sounds right up our street...)
http://www.lmrbean.plus.com/avr/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  runners knee johnnyb 8 3,278 05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  New Plodder Greets Warrior Runners Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 2,786 14-01-2004, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Liz