Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring has Sprung
20-04-2005, 03:23 PM,
Spring has Sprung
Not only have I not run for a long, long time, but I've only posted twice (one was a picture). Pretty poor really.

I can report, however, that I feel strangely positive about the future. Tempting fate is what I do best. But it feels almost Tolkienesque: forces of good are abroad. Sweder has triumphed in the Capital and the mighty Andy is marching South towards his finest victory on the mainland. Glaconman's latent power is stirring and a new history is about to be written.

Or maybe I'm still abit p*ssed from last nights spontaneous assault on an innocent collection of single malts.

Either way, it's a start. Actually I put the first part of my 'new plan' into action a few weeks back. (Remember Rimmer's revised revision timetables?)

I realised that in order to fit excercise in to what at times seems like an impenetrable succession of daily tasks, it had to hijack the commute to work. So instead of heated seats and Start The Week it would be a sore arse, cold hands and the sound of rain against gortex.

I'd tried cycling into work last summer. But pulling on the lycra and mounting my trusted Trek 1220 just resulted in frustration and fatigue as my will tried to force my body to do what it had done effortlessly 5 years ago. And quite naturally failed.

So a new approach was needed. A mountain bike with tractor tires, long trousers, a train pass to cut the journey down and a route that takes me over some varied terrain on and off road. Bike, train, bike, shower, desk. It's made such a difference. I look forward to my commute: rain or shine.

I know that with this daily routine it won't be long before the trainers come out and I'm getting some miles clocked-up and thinking about a race in the Autumn.

So I may not be running, or writing, but I'm certainly enjoying reading about other people's triumphs; and back to planning a few of my own.
20-04-2005, 03:36 PM,
Spring has Sprung
Good to have you back on the circuit, Glaconman.

Looks like I'll have to push you further up the list again, too...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.