Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Wine Nights
25-01-2009, 07:43 AM,
Red Wine Nights
Apropos of nothing, I've had an interesting revelation:

On rare occasions, I get the house to myself, and when that coincides with few or no obligations, I love nothing more than to get slowly drunk on red wine listening to my favourite melancholic music. I love doing this: in fact hugely so (partly because it so rarely happens). It is one of my favourite indulgences and means a lot to me. I'm also a list person - I love drawing up lists of things. Don't know why, just do.

It's when I wrote down a list of the music I play when I'm doing this "getting slowly drunk on red wine on a night at home alone" that I made an interesting discovery: all the music I play on such occasions is stuff I played pretty constantly as a teenager in the 70s and nothing else.

Now why might that be? Any amateur (or pro) psychologists willing to take a crack at the answer, please respond herewithin.

My list (in chronological order):

1969 Side B of Beatles - “Abbey Road”
1971 Focus “Moving Waves”
1972 Santana “Caravanserai”
1972 Pink Floyd “Dark Side of the Moon”
1973 Mike Oldfield – “Tubular Bells”
1974 Tangerine Dream “Phaedra”
1974 Side A of Hawkwind - “Hall of the Mountain Grill”
1975 Pink Floyd “Wish You Were Here”
1975 Tangerine Dream “Rubycon”
1977 Emerson Lake & Palmer – "Works"
1978 Alan Parsons Project – “Pyramid”

Bizarre, perhaps, but I'd die without this stuff!

Smile

P.S. Perhaps worth adding that I generally have very eclectic tastes, covering everything ever written. It's only when I'm getting drunk I listen to this 70s stuff exclusively. Why??

Run. Just run.
25-01-2009, 09:59 AM,
Red Wine Nights
I'm not sure of the significance of the teenage years link but I must say you've some damned fine choices in there MLCMan. I appreciate solitude is a big part of these magical moments but I'd thoroughly enjoy the whole red wine/ indulgent music (at inappropriately excessive volume) experience. One day, one day . . .

Hall Of The Mountain Grill (The Legend of Beansontoast!) was a pleasant surprise. I've recently increased my access to music via a new internet-based house system and Hawkwind has featured heavily on my recent adventures.

Check out Quark, Strangeness and Charm - I think you'll like it a lot.
Hassan I-Sabha is my current favorite.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-01-2009, 02:26 PM,
Red Wine Nights
Not really familiar with any of the aformentioned albums but when my clan are out i love to float on my big red chair listening to Led Zep 1 or the Tommy sountrack. The reason being that my lot have aweful taste in music and i can't get away with it when there home.
25-01-2009, 09:50 PM,
Red Wine Nights
Led Zep I is an interesting choice Steve - much of that album still sounds like The Yardbirds to my ears - hardly surprising of course. But yes, definitely a good red wine album. As is all Led Zep, but the early stuff is especially good.

And Sweder, don't worry, I have Quark Strangeness and Charm too. Probably my fave Hawkwind after Mountain Grill. Hassan I Sabha is a good track to run to as well, just by the way.

Smile
Run. Just run.
26-01-2009, 06:43 AM,
Red Wine Nights
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Now why might that be? Any amateur (or pro) psychologists willing to take a crack at the answer, please respond herewithin.
The teenage thing must surely be a desire to regress - to a time of fewer responsibilities, when the whole of your adult life was spread out before you like a... big spread out thingy. Music: the ultimate time machine.

I've recently started trawling through all my old cassettes and ripping them onto PC, before the last remnants of any sound drop out of them. For a similar reason to you, a number of 80s metal albums of... questionable artistic merit... have received a lot of airplay in the car.
26-01-2009, 08:43 AM,
Red Wine Nights
marathondan Wrote:For a similar reason to you, a number of 80s metal albums of... questionable artistic merit... have received a lot of airplay in the car.
You're not getting away with that MD.
Come on, fess up: Tygers of Pan Tang perhaps? Angelwitch? Krokus?

Your public need to know Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-01-2009, 09:18 AM,
Red Wine Nights
A tad more mainstream than that. Actually, some have stood the test of time: classic Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica. But it wasn't the best period for Whitesnake, for example. Purists may shudder at my penchant for Def Leppard's entire back catalogue. Then throw in some W*A*S*P and obscure euro-screechers TNT and I'm transported straight back to the mid-80s.

But the Motley Crue and Poison have stayed firmly in the shoe box - even when I was 15 they sounded pretty childish. :o
26-01-2009, 11:33 AM,
Red Wine Nights
Dan could you let me know what piece of kit you use to rip the tapes onto the pc?

I've got millions of the buggers I've never thrown away too and some of the obscure stuff probably isn't available now.

I assume the quality's not great but I've definitely got some stuff I'd like to play in the car again now.
26-01-2009, 11:44 AM,
Red Wine Nights
There are USB tape decks around now, but I just use a lead from the earphone socket of a tape deck to the mic socket of the PC. I bought the good value RIP Vinyl which does the job of splitting the tracks for you. Or you could use free software such as Audacity and do the track splitting manually.

Any time you get a period of silence in a track, RIP Vinyl gets it wrong and you have to post-edit manually (MLCM's prog-tastic playlist above would be a nightmare). Live albums are similarly problematic. But it does 90% of the work for you, so it's worthwhile I think.

Then you just have the joy of entering all the track info - which can be done directly in Windows Media Player etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Red Lion Sweder 1 1,189 02-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Do we have a wine ponce here? Seafront Plodder 10 3,384 23-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler