Geeksville
03-12-2004, 02:47 PM,
Geeksville
You Garmin fans will probably turn your noses up at this, but I love it anyway...

I discovered some GPS software for my phone (which obviously has a GPS receiver built in), and then further discovered I could load any type of map I wanted, including aerial photos... so I did. Calibrating it was simple enough, so now I have an aerial photo of my neighbourhood calibrated to the GPS receiver, which is really neat because I can run around the streets and have the GPS trace marked out on the aerial photo as I go. And if I'm not too out of breathe, I can still make phone calls too Smile

The screen shot is tad ordinary, but shows part of one of my run routes (walked, in this instance, in order to calibrate the beasty) with the GPS trace shown in red. It's kinda weird - almost like spying on yourself from on high.

Probably no real prizes for accuracy (seems to be +/- a "few" metres), but takes the blue ribbon for runners geekiness. I love it!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
03-12-2004, 02:58 PM,
Geeksville
Wow! Trés geeky!! I also see you've joined the RC Avatar Artist Guild. Andy will be most impressed.
03-12-2004, 03:11 PM,
Geeksville
You seem to have had a bit of a wobble at one point there, MLCM, zooming out into the road, then back into someone's front garden before settling down again. Were you on the way back from the boozer by any chance?

But that's kinda neat, to use the American vernacular. Now you can watch yourself moving down the street in real time. Great for those of us who get withdrawal problems when away from the computer or television. Only if it's on a screen do I believe that it's really happening these days.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-12-2004, 03:11 PM,
Geeksville
And my dignity is getting a bit bruised by this avatar business, I'll have you know.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-12-2004, 03:19 PM,
Geeksville
The avatars are working then Wink

Any wobbles in the GPS trace can be attributed to satellite inaccuracy. MLC Man of course does not drink...

...at least not while I'm sleeping. No honestly, I don't think as much as you drink I do.

hic
Run. Just run.