Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008/09 - Winter
20-01-2009, 07:59 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
I think EG may have coined the phrase himself, in that very race report.
20-01-2009, 09:52 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
marathondan Wrote:I think EG may have coined the phrase himself, in that very race report.

Zurich? No, I don't think so. And anyway, I did fear the sweeper Big Grin.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-01-2009, 10:45 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
Zurich - where the route doubled-back through the last town and he came face-to-face with the man driving the sweeper bus . . . still sends a shiver down my spine that one . . . Eek

The Long Road Home
Snickers Used To Be Marathons - Didn't They?
And El Gordo Runs Through It
El Gordo: The Early Years
Who Ate All The Gels
The Unbearable Heaviness Of Running
My Life In A Little Discomfort

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

21-01-2009, 10:16 AM,
2008/09 - Winter
...and one we should have already mentioned:

Talk To The Foot
Run. Just run.
21-01-2009, 10:46 AM,
2008/09 - Winter
Yep, that one was staring us in the, er . . . foot.

Apropos of nothing I was reminded of an old adage passed on by a member of the US Postal Service to his friend at their local hostelry once. It bears repeating here:

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo.
And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This 'natural selection' is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.
Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

[Image: NormCliff.jpg]

21-01-2009, 06:12 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
Sweder Wrote:

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Works for me. Smile
Run. Just run.
24-01-2009, 09:39 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
Good solid mileage in there, EG; you must be pleased after the post-Christmas niggles. I do hope you get an opportunity to join us (after Almeria) for a Sunday morning session. The pace varies from brutal to comfortable and the views are breath-taking.

01-02-2009, 01:13 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
Sorry to hear about your Mum, though it does sound as if peace at last is a blessing for her and her loved ones.
A succint yet poignant post, the last few lines incredibly moving, reminding me of seeing my Grandmother, our great matriarch, laid out at the rest home. She wasn't there of course, just the shell that had carried her indomitable spirit, lifeless and somehow dull without her at the wheel.

Tell M that whilst Sarah Palin might be a couple of prozac short of going postal she is considered by any number of men of a - ahem - certain age as 'hot tottie' (there are other expressions which I will avoid here for the sake of propriety).

Alas, your attempted synchronicity was foiled by the good Burghers of Almeria. I can't say more, except to tell you that our race finally started - and not for the first time, I might add - at 11:00 local time. You won't guess the reason, you'll just have to wait for the full horror to unfold . . .

01-02-2009, 07:13 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
I´m sorry about your mum´s death but life´s like that.

Four years ago I lost my dad when he was 80 years old. Although he was ill - he had heart problems and had broken his hip a few weeks before, he died while he was sleeping at home. I felt a sort of emptiness when he died and I still miss him but I know that he stopped suffering and that conforts me. I also thought that he was given a present of 25 years´ life since he suffered his first heart attack when he was 55 and could have died then. Besides, he died with the hope of a better and eternal life.

I´m sure you will be able to overcome your mum´s death as you have succeeded in finishing several marathons with your physical and mental strength as well as your perseverance.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

01-02-2009, 11:01 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
Yes my deepest sympathies as well EG. It's never easy losing any loved one, but the death of a parent is in many ways especially hard I think.

And thanks for letting us know with such beautiful words. No doubt your Mum would be proud.
Run. Just run.
02-02-2009, 08:19 AM,
2008/09 - Winter
Thanks Guys. Yes, very sad but one of those situations where it was a relief from the discomfort she was clearly experiencing. I'm feeling slightly lopsided today, and perhaps always will.

I had a 'normal' day yesterday with a visit from an old friend, and an afternoon in the pub watching Liverpool beat Chelsea. Today it's back to the grim business of arranging the funeral. Two funerals. One here, and another in Ireland, where she asked to be buried.

Hope all is going well in Almeria.
El Gordo

02-02-2009, 12:35 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
Sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my day when he was only 57 years old. I feel for you and I know your pain but know this; it will get easier eventually.
Life's short,Run Long!Cool
02-02-2009, 03:00 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
So sorry to hear about your Mum El G. It's never easy, but at least her suffering has ceased. My own Mum died when I was only 30 and had just had my first baby. I think I have felt that lopsidedness you speak of ever since.
Phew this is hard work !
02-02-2009, 07:51 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
EG, my thoughts are with you and your family. Peace and strength to you.
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
Thanks All.
El Gordo

09-02-2009, 12:56 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
When I saw you had posted today EG, I finished what I had to do, turned the lights off, poured a significant quantity of fine Australian muscat into what could be best described as a not-insignificant tumbler, put Yes's Close To The Edge on the music machine and sat down to read your latest.

I'm not sure what it is about those poignant moments in life, such as when a parent dies, or one realises (such as your woman in the car) that life is finally crushing you to the point of desperation, but they force a stark clarity to one's view of the world. That you can put those moments into such eloquent prose was beautifully illustrated in your last post. It simultaneously made me want to get out there for a run to celebrate your superb ability to write about what many of us experience but feel unable to express, and on the other hand to chuck it all in and instead acknowledge my frustration at taking on too much and failing to recognise where priorities properly lay.

And then your rat gnawing analogy just astonished me. How true.

I'm truly sorry for the loss of your mother - I understand what this means to you. I'm really upset at the disappearance of Good Old Boy from your local pub scene, and I'm saddened that you could not attend Almeria this year. I also empathise with your work situation - in the current economic climate these pressures are particularly acute.

But I am very glad indeed that you feel able to write - and write so amazingly well - about it all. That enlightens many of us, and hopefully yourself as well. It's that kind of writing that gives me hope for humanity, in the face of any and all kinds of adversity. I only wish I was physically over there with you so you could share my fine Rutherglen muscat.

Thanks EG.
Run. Just run.
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM,
2008/09 - Winter
Kind words MLCM, though I don't really sense much quality in the stuff I write these days. I'm not being deliberately self-deprecating: I mean it. It's a struggle. Compare with the energy of Sweder's stuff, and its creative craziness.

But anyway, thanks. I'll be glad when this week is over, and can get back to some sort of semi-normality.

We are all shocked to see the news about the fires you're having over there, and the dreadful loss of life. What a catastrophe. Hope that calms down very soon. Sad
El Gordo

23-02-2009, 10:08 AM,
2008/09 - Winter
As you said EG, 7+ miles is darned good for a man who should be laid up in bed with attentive medical staff at his side. Big effort!
Run. Just run.
23-02-2009, 10:36 AM,
2008/09 - Winter
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:As you said EG, 7+ miles is darned good for a man who should be laid up in bed with attentive medical staff at his side. Big effort!

Thanks MLCM, but I won't exaggerate the illness. I'm just very wheezey which wouldn't matter much for normal life, but running does suffer. I just couldn't seem to get proper lungfuls of air yesterday. But it was good to get a few miles at least through the legs. The week ahead is crammed with work, but I hope i may be able to get out for a couple of hours on Tues or Wednesday for another attempt.
El Gordo

25-02-2009, 11:34 AM,
2008/09 - Winter
Effing fantastic EG - brilliant!

Boston, here you come!
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2008 - Autumn El Gordo 79 47,197 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  2008 El Gordo 4 3,526 03-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2008 - June El Gordo 48 29,317 06-08-2008, 08:24 PM