Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was cranking up...
05-10-2004, 10:05 AM,
I was cranking up...
It's this website, I'm convinced of it.

Another weekend longee that didn't happen' this time because I've picked up a dose of.....well something terminal probably.

I've had a sore throat for the last 3 days, it feels like someone's punched me in the kidneys, and the central heating's gone on.

Welcome to autumn SP! Bah!

Andy's commented on it, and although he revels (nay wallows) in the sort of self-inflicted abuse that is running in the cold and wet, it's not for me and I'm starting to fall apart.

I haven't even felt like going out a just to-see-how-I-get-on run, that's how low things are.

I really can't afford to write off a long run at this stage in the game, but what choice have I got? That Hobson's got a lot to answer for I can tell you.

I now have to endure the next 5 days on a short break in The Eternal City! Well at least Mrs SP can wallow by the pool/sauna whilst if I shake off this cold I could try and find the running track this hotel is supposed to have - better than a treadmill I s'pose.

Hopefully better things to report next Monday.

Fino ad allora, arrivederci Big Grin
05-10-2004, 11:55 AM,
I was cranking up...
England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-10-2004, 11:52 PM,
I was cranking up...
Have a sauna (if the hotel has one) and when your throat allows, follow it up with a good hot curry. Sweat it out if you can't run.

Dr MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
13-10-2004, 08:53 PM,
I was cranking up...
I'm now, officially, a fully paid up member of the Lynam/Copenhagen Crap Marathon Preparation Society for Lightweight Pissheads.

I have lost the last 2 weekend long runs, one through a light cold (actually it was probably flu but we men never overstate an illness do we? Big Grin) whilst last weekend I was imbibing far too much good wine in Rome, resulting in just 2 x 30 minutes of head-pounding boredom on the hotel treadmill.

We found out that local red was actually cheaper per litre than beer by around €2. Various experiments followed which basically involved drinking copious amounts of this ultra-cheap but surprisingly good wine. I did make some futile excuse to sit and watch, mumbling something about an up-and-coming marathon - all to no avail as obviously the research simply had to be undertaken properly, and with enthusiasm.

What followed that was the further discovery in a local backstreet taverna of flippin' 9% draft rocket fuel beer.

You can guess the rest...

The Run will definitely happen. Trip is booked and paid for, and I have far too much sponsorship money at stake, but now it gets serious! Sad

I have already put myself on the wagon until the evening of the run, and today I was out for a 5-miler which I am pleased to report was a sinch. Hopefully a 10 miler tomorrow or Friday, followed by 20 miles on Sunday. It won't be pretty, and I'll walk the last few if I have to, but needs must.

Re-reading Andy's diary from the few weeks leading up to Copenhagen has given me added determination, Thanks!

I don't think I can afford the luxury of a 3 week taper, and intend to have another 20-miler the following weekend followed by 2 weeks of healthy living, massages and continued temperence.

Bah!

Oh yes...p.s. In Rome I took an opportunity to go and see a performance by Cirque de Soleil. If you ever get the chance, go. The show is simply stunning.
14-10-2004, 09:51 AM,
I was cranking up...
It's never too late for sinners to repent...

As you say, I'm a past master at this sort of lapse. On the positive side I'd say 2 things: 1) I've always found that the path back to the straight and narrow isn't as bad as it appears through the bottom of a beer/wine glass, and 2) The alternative, being a nailed-on goody-goody would be even worse.

That said, I've resolved to stay on the wagon for a while myself. Haven't had any alcohol or chocolate for 2 weeks now, and intend to keep it up for a while to shed a few pounds.

Hope your pre-race schedule goes to plan. Somehow, it's always easwier to plan those 20 milers than it is to do 'em.

Looks like you might be in the US for the election? It's on the 2nd I think. Should be interesting.

Keep us posted.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm cranking up Seafront Plodder 2 1,632 04-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Last Post: El Gordo