Almería half marathon
13-12-2003, 02:48 PM,
Almería half marathon
Hello, everybody

As there were some forumites interested in coming to Almería to take part at its half marathon, I´ll give you some information that could be useful if you finally can come, which I´d love to and you´d be very welcome.

It will be held on 25th January 2004. The fee is 9 euros. You can get inscribed on Saturday 24th at the same price. It includes the pasta dinner on Saturday at the university dining hall. With the inscription you also get a T-shirt and a magazine. Those who finish the race will also get a bag with souvenirs. You can also use the changing rooms, showers, physiotherapy. There will be water and sponge stations every five kilometres as well as first aid. You will also have drinks, fruit, etc at the finish.

Besides, you and any accompanying people can have free lodging at the university sports pavilion bringing their own sleeping bags or blankets. A free bus to take you to the start situated at about 5 kms from there. It must be booked at deportes@ual.es indicating the number of people who want to sleep there. The pasta dinner and the lectures will take place near the university sports pavilion. If you prefer staying at a hotel in the city centre or in a tourist resort you can get a double room at a four star hotel for 50 euros with a voucher that you can get at any travel agent´s on Friday or Saturday morning after arriving at the airport.

The aim is to reach one thousand participants this year. The previous years there were around 500 finishers.

You can get a ticket to Almería airport at http://www.britishairways.com , http://www.mytravelite.com , http://www.tarletontravel.com or http://www.iberia.com

If there´s anything else that you´d like to know, please, ask me.

If you come, It´ll be a pleasure to help you all you need and to meet you in the southeast of Spain.

Saludos desde Almería. Greetings from Almería
Antonio

15-12-2003, 12:47 PM,
Almería half marathon
Good to hear from you, Antonio, and thank you for the information.

I haven't raised this delicate issue with my wife yet. I may wait until she's just finished opening her Christmas presents.

It sounds like a very friendly event, and needless to say, I'd like to do it. Apart from the need for domestic diplomacy, my main issue is that I already have two overseas trips planned for the first half of 2004, which is going to be a bit expensive.

But I'll research it and let you know as soon as I can.

Regards

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
17-12-2003, 01:09 PM,
Almería half marathon
Have done a bit of research into transport:

There aren't a lot of options. Flying out on the Saturday, it's either 7:20 am from Birmingham or 7:50 from Gatwick. Including taxes, you can do the Birmingham route for £53 return and the Gatwick one for £109.

Trouble is, 7:20 from Brum would mean either getting up at 3am (usually the time I go to bed on Friday night/Sat morning), or getting a hotel up there Friday night. So the expense would be about the same.

Returning, there's a flight back to Birmingham midday Monday, while the Gatwick one returns on Tuesday at about the same time. Flights take about 2 hours 50 mins.

Including airport parking and accommodation and subsistence (ie Larios gin and the occasional mouthful of tortilla), the whole thing would cost between £250 and £300 I reckon.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
17-12-2003, 03:19 PM,
Almería half marathon
Hello, Andy
It would be great if you could finally come although I realise it is difficult since you plan to travel abroad several times next year.
By the way, have you decided which marathon you intend to do on 25th April? I want to run Madrid marathon although my wife thinks I shouldn´t run longer than half marathons to avoid getting an injury but I think it´s time for me to finish a marathon again. It´s such a wonderful experience after the hard last ten or fifteen kms.

Well, Andy, if you finally can come you as well as all the other forumites will be very welcome but if you can´t, I expect we can meet somewhere on another event next year.

Well, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Feliz Navidad y próspero año nuevo.

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,737 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,053 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,209 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,354 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,922 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  Thankyou from Almeria Heather 55 1 5,768 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Anyone from the Almeria Area? Heather 55 4 6,199 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,820 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM