Positive Planning
16-12-2003, 07:26 PM,
Positive Planning
Quote:Sometimes you just run out of steam. You quite unexpectedly step off some invisible edge; disappear down some unnoticed open manhole. Often it takes a while to notice that it's happened at all, then a bit longer to accept that you're stuck there: at the bottom of some hole, peering up through the darkness at your old life, wishing you were back there. Eventually the negative wishing becomes the positive planning, and the climbing starts once again. Slowly at first, then much quicker than you'd feared.

I have printed this extract from Andy's diary, and keep it by the computer at home where it stares at me.

It's spot on! After the negative wishing of the last few weeks, really not being able to face even getting changed; driving home I actually contemplated a run this evening. Sadly it didn't happen as my wife had made spag bol, (which I'm sure you'll know is illegal to drink without a glass of red), but the positive planning is returning - so thank you to all who have made the difference to the way I feel, given me back my mojo (as it were).

I entered a 1/2 today for the 22 Feb. Smile My training begins in earnest...............

In early January.
16-12-2003, 08:38 PM,
Positive Planning
Good move, Andy.

Don't beat yourself up about having a break. As was mentioned on another thread, after a marathon you need time to recover mentally, and that's all you've been doing. You deserved a rest, and needed one. The fact that you've entered the Brighton Half says it all: your appetite's returning.

Me too. I've had a funny sort of year. A bit hit and miss. But I'm glad I've decided on a spring marathon; there's a lot of winter ahead, but I can now feel excited about it instead of dreading it.

I can't go too mad with races (I tried that this year, and ended up injured), but I hope to do Brighton as well.

Good luck, and keep us informed about the training. The first run will be horrible of course, but you'll surprise yourself how quickly you can get out of that 'hole' once you see the daylight.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Positive Thoughts parky 1 1,075 05-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Last Post: El Gordo