I have noticed that milk floats........
18-07-2003, 06:11 AM,
..........are getting smaller!

I swear last time I saw one they were big noisy rectangular things, piled 4 crates high! Sign of the times I s'pose, now they resemble motorbikes with a small trailer!

The reason I noticed this, is because I have just returned from a 7 miler, and just so you know how early I went out, I run certainly no faster than 10 min miles!

I have been wrestling with this dilemma for a while now, when to run? I have been getting increasing amounts of stick from Mrs Seafront, as I usually go out when I come in from work around 6.30 - 7pm, completely disrupting the dinner-with-the-family routine. This has always suited me though, any later and I'm too knackered, first thing and the duvet is too heavy!

-ve.

1. Have to remember to put running gear on the landing the night before.

2. Have to remember to wake up! No alarm for fear of waking her.

3. Takes an age to get going, the first mile and all I wanted to do was to lay down in the grass and fall asleep.

4. Timing of the necessary. Almost touching cloth at the end! Granted!

5. Most people I passed smelt either of aftershave/perfume, or fags.

6. I seemed to sweat just those few buckets more.

+ve.

1. Feeling decidedly PING now, but will it last the day?

2. I have earned myself a curry tonight.

3. I know this has been said before, but it's very apt: towards the end of the run, I was just sitting on top of these moving legs, it was so easy!

4. Errr......that's it.

Each to his own, but I may even try this morning running lark again!

SP

p.s. I recall reading that Adlestrop poem at junior school when I was about 10! It sticks in my mind, because when you're 10, the line "The steam pissed, someone cleared his throat" is hilarious!
20-07-2003, 08:36 AM,
SP, Speaking on behalf of a grateful nation, may I thank for the milk float bulletin. Living within 100 miles of London, I wasn't aware that these conveyances still existed. The shocking developments you describe give me cause for great concern.

Running early works best for me, for all the reasons you describe. It just sets me up for the day, and is out of the way. At this time of year it's relatively easy, too. Much harder in the winter, so I'm trying to establish the good habit now.

Getting your stuff ready the night before is important. Semi-comatose sock safaris do not help to get you to the front door.

Having said all that, I would quite like to be running at any time of day at the moment, but am still waiting for this calf injury to go away. I may not be seeing you in Dublin after all, the way things are going.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.