Was the play-off final that bad?
12-06-2003, 08:47 PM,
Was the final so bad Andy that we have not heard from you since?
12-06-2003, 10:00 PM,
Hi Ian.

The play-off final was a devastating experience. Really.

I was so excited by the build-up that I stopped running. Then after the match I got incredibly drunk which laid me low for a few days, followed by a very bad cold which was a further handicap. By this time I'd put on so much weight that even my XXL T-shirts didn't fit anymore.

It's only this week that I've started back running again, managing 3 miles on Tuesday and Wednesday and 4 this morning. The plan is to do 5 or 6 at the weekend. I need to re-lose all the weight that I've put back on in the last few weeks though.

I had to abandon the Wargrave 10K last weekend, and the chances of getting round the Borehamwood Half on June 22 seemed remote, so instead I've entered the Datchet Dash (10K) on Sat June 21st, 8 days from now.

If I get round in less than an hour I'll start the 18 week training for Dublin the next day.

If I take longer than an hour I'm going to throw all my running equipment in the canal and take up smoking again.

There's some uncertainty about what to do with this site. I've had a lot of emails in the last few weeks from friends old and new, asking me what's going on, and I need to decide soon. I'm planning on writing a book, and I don't know to what extent maintaining the site is draining what little writing energy I have at the end of each day.

Fortunately, this recent inertia seems to be on the way out, and I'm already feeling a lot more energetic and motivated, so it will all be resolved soon, I'm sure.

Glad to see that your own running seems to be back on track. (Check out Ian's running site at http://www.ianpainter.com)

Stay tuned.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-06-2003, 02:31 PM,
Hi Andy,

I assumed you'd been on holiday! no excuse just cos you've been a lazy git.

Get out there and train, we have a date in Dublin...

Good luck

Andy.

13-06-2003, 07:38 PM,
Cheers SP, I can already smell that freshly squeezed Guinness...

When does your training start? I thought a few speed pints this evening, then a couple tomorrow lunchtime before a long slow session on Sunday afternoon would kick off the programme quite well.
El Gordo

16-06-2003, 11:21 AM,
My kinda schedule Andy!!

I hope I don't become complacent about this training. Didn't even bother with my long run (well 6 miles) this weekend, preferring to light the barbeque and drink beer instead.

Bought some new Saucony Grids, and was soundly ticked off by the shop chappie for running in worn out shoes. (I did wonder why my lower back was hurting).

The schedule starts here. I've bodged together a Hal Higdon beginners and intermediate schedule, added some speed work and that's what intend to follow. If anyone knows how to post an excel spreadsheet let me know, otherwise I'll assume you're not that interested.... :•(

A.
16-06-2003, 08:43 PM,
I thought the 18 week HH training starts next week?

I'm planning to try the intermediate schedule this time too though it's likely to be too much too soon

I did 3 miles on Saturday morning then got down to 'getting my head right' for the forthcoming campaign. It involved beer and a Chinese takeaway, but more than that I won't say.

You can't post an Excel spreadsheet, but you might be able to save it as text and attach that?
El Gordo

17-06-2003, 09:20 AM,
Gave it a go, didn't work.

.........deleted.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reading Half date change: bad news for some El Gordo 3 1,964 27-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Can the new boy play at bragging too...? JP the Dream Chaser 6 1,854 23-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Last Post: JP the Dream Chaser
  The bad run Nigel 3 1,496 17-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Debbie
  Ticket available for 2nd Div play-off final El Gordo 0 1,170 21-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Last Post: El Gordo