Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September
25-09-2009, 02:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-09-2009, 02:43 PM by glaconman.)
September
September has been an uneventful month; but not a bad one all-the-same. I've done some long, some steady, some tempo, some hill reps. All whilst negotiating injuried feet and several bouts of man-flu.

So whilst nothing of note has happened at least I've managed to hold my ground. No mean feat.

Perhaps this is a good time to mention a couple of books I've started this year. I'm not a keen student of running like some around these parts. But they can help to get things moving.

In April I received 'Running In The Clouds' as a 41st birthday present. And when I'd finished reading this book all I had to do was wander out of the door and it was all there. Amazing.

If that book represents the meat-and-two-veg of running chronicles then 'What I talk about when I talk about running' is the weak Miso soup. It's not a long book, but I didn't finish it. Huh

'Born to Run' didn't start off well. I liked what he was saying but his style and rhetoric were difficult for me. But once the narrative kicked-in and the characters started to show-up then it all started to roll and I loved it. I suspect he has one eye on an adaptation for the big screen and I hope it happens.

Next stop is a couple of races so I can try and put some markers down.
25-09-2009, 04:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-09-2009, 04:58 PM by El Gordo.)
RE: September
(25-09-2009, 02:38 PM)glaconman Wrote: In April I received 'Running In The Clouds' as a 41st birthday present. And when I'd finished reading this book all I had to do was wander out of the door and it was all there. Amazing.

'Running In The Clouds'? Or 'Feet in the Clouds'? If the latter, then yes, great book. One of those reads that inspires without seeming to intend to.

(25-09-2009, 02:38 PM)glaconman Wrote: If that book represents the meat-and-two-veg of running chronicles then 'What I talk about when I talk about running' is the weak Miso soup. It's not a long book, but I didn't finish it. Huh

We disagree on this one. I loved the Murakami book. I think it does require 'tuning into' though, and can imagine its understated style not being everyone's cup of tea; or bowl of soup.

(25-09-2009, 02:38 PM)glaconman Wrote: 'Born to Run' didn't start off well. I liked what he was saying but his style and rhetoric were difficult for me. But once the narrative kicked-in and the characters started to show-up then it all started to roll and I loved it. I suspect he has one eye on an adaptati\on for the big screen and I hope it happens.

Christopher McDougall? Not read it, but I seem to recall people enthusing about it on one of the RW forums.

Glad to hear you're still getting out there -- I feared the worst from the silence, but voluntary hill reps is a good sign. I hope you can maintain your commitment through the cooler months. It must be pretty inhospitable on some of those hills in the winter, but I'm sure there are dividends available there too. An early Sunday morning run in the frosty Dales must be a great experience, especially with a lunchtime pint of Tim Taylor's Landlord to look forward to.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
26-09-2009, 08:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 26-09-2009, 04:10 PM by Sweder.)
With EG on Murakami - I found reading his book an event, an experience ... like tuning into an old-fashioned radio show and going with it. EG's right though, you do have to twiddle that dial. You wonder 'is this all there is?' and yet, on the basis that less can be more, it worked for me. I admire his single-minded approach, his dedication to training, something we could all learn from, and envy his precise, disciplined approach to writing.

'Feet In The Clouds' is one of the best books, on running or anything else, I've read in the past ten years. I re-visit now and again, usually when I'm in the running doldrums. Hmm ... where'd I put my copy?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-09-2009, 09:46 AM,
In fact, I think reading about running is quite an underestimated part of training. I occasionally answer threads on RW where people are looking for training tips, or motivation. I always suggest doing some reading. It belongs on the psychological side of the activity, but as we know, that's every bit as important as the physical.

The Murakami book divides people. I've read a lot of similar comments to GM's, and I respect that opinion. 'Feet in the Clouds' also gets mixed reviews. All running books seem to. All books seem to. Everything seems to.... that's the way it is. The way we are. The way we were....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-09-2009, 04:24 PM,
You're right EG: 'Feet' is what I'm refering to. And you're right about making good books part of your preparation. They can inspire. I'm glad you both rated it so much. Recommendations?

Managed to get around a tough 3 miler at the Yorkshire vets relay this morning in Ilkley. The climb was over a mile I think. Managed to pace myself pretty well despite my inexperience. So I'm happy. Also very happy that Mrs G made the event.

Glaconman

Mrs Glaconman
27-09-2009, 07:21 PM,
1 in 3? That's serious hillage Gman.
On the hmeward leg of my feeble 8-miler this morning I caught a unique glimps of the Windmill at Rottingdean. The hill leading up to it is very short - perhaps 300 metres toe to tip - yet as I ran off the cliff top into Rottingdean the mill itself appeared to hover above the four-storey house before me. That's about 1 in 3 or there abouts. The climb comes at around mile 17 on the Jog Shop Jog - mile 14 if you're doing an extended Snake - and is notoriously brutal. Keeping that up for three miles must've been lung-busting.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-09-2009, 09:33 PM,
(27-09-2009, 07:21 PM)Sweder Wrote: 1 in 3? That's serious hillage Gman.
Keeping that up for three miles must've been lung-busting.

Err...The course was 3 miles long. 1 mile flat. 1 mile climb.1 mile descent. Roughly. No 1-in-3's. Thankfully. Although it was a good test nonetheless. Luckily, like your good self, I quite relish climbing hills. Which helps because you can't go far around here without having to confront them.
28-09-2009, 12:32 AM,
(27-09-2009, 07:21 PM)Sweder Wrote: On the hmeward leg of my feeble 8-miler this morning...

[slaps Sweder about face]

There's nothing feeble about an 8 miler, man - even if you walked it. And doubtless you ran the socks off the bugger.

[Slaps Sweder once more for effect]
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  September glaconman 24 5,206 23-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  September 2016 glaconman 1 1,414 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  September 2015 glaconman 1 1,727 26-09-2015, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  September glaconman 0 1,744 14-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Last Post: glaconman