Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almeria 2010
22-01-2010, 10:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-01-2010, 08:31 AM by El Gordo.)
RE: Almeria 2010
Thanks for your assistance, Antonio. Looks like Sweder, Simon and I have booked and paid for our rooms. I don't think you have to feel bad about anything. Sounds like the hotel acted in good faith locally, but were trumped by a decision from above. The end result is that I have a room in a decent hotel for about £30 a night, so I'm not complaining.

One last question -- do we still have free parking through Julie's booking? I don't suppose it matters that much, but would be useful.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-01-2010, 12:17 AM,
I've not booked my room yet - got home tonight after being out all day from early morning. The offer of € 33 is showing on the website but no availability for our dates so I guess they've all gone. Best offer now is €50 + taxes. I'll check again in the morning; may have to bite the bullet and pay the higher rate.

Antonio we all think you're a top man who always does his best to help us every time. These deals come and go to sell rooms in quiet times; please don't worry about it! If I were you I'd be more worried about the quality of the Guinness in BarThatIsNoLongerCalledMolly's Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-01-2010, 01:29 PM,
OK no changes this morning on the offered rate so I've booked in at Eur 50 + breakfast.
Flight to DXB delayed so stuck in Cafe Rouge sucking on decaff.
Have a good weekend y'all.

25-01-2010, 03:10 PM,
Confirmed the booking of the triple room. Free parking as well.

Saludos desde Almería

25-01-2010, 03:26 PM,
Thanks yet again Anlu - we owe you a pint of Guinness.

Or two Big Grin

25-01-2010, 05:40 PM,
(25-01-2010, 03:10 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Confirmed the booking of the triple room. Free parking as well.

Saludos desde Almería

Thank you very much Antonio. And another pint from me Big Grin

So EG did you sort out booking the hire car?? Do you accept cheques for our share of the car when we know how much we all owe you or would you prefer cash?

Simon asked me what time he needs to be round for a lift in LR Express - I said 4:00-4:10am. Does that sound okay to you Sweder??

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
25-01-2010, 05:46 PM,
4am? Simply wonderful LR.

25-01-2010, 06:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-01-2010, 06:30 PM by El Gordo.)
(25-01-2010, 05:40 PM)ladyrunner Wrote:
(25-01-2010, 03:10 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Confirmed the booking of the triple room. Free parking as well.

Saludos desde Almería

So EG did you sort out booking the hire car?? Do you accept cheques for our share of the car when we know how much we all owe you or would you prefer cash?

Simon asked me what time he needs to be round for a lift in LR Express - I said 4:00-4:10am. Does that sound okay to you Sweder??

Julie Smile

Yes, I've booked the car. It mysteriously rose from 133 euros to 150 euros in the few days between first looking, and booking, but so be it.

The charge apparently includes insurance, but we'll have to check the small print when we get there. Additional drivers are variously described as free, or costing 1 euro extra, so that's confusing, but the charge is negligible. Main thing we need to be careful of is the petrol cost. The company is malagacar.com.

The most important part of the deal is:

The car will be collected with half a tank of fuel, which you will pay for (Between 25 euros and 40 euros depending the model). The car can then be returned empty. The price includes unlimited kilometres, fully comprehensive insurance with no excess, 16% taxes and 24 hours road assistance.

I don't like this way of doing the petrol because a) you can never be sure that the tank really is half full, and b) there's no way we can return the vehicle with an empty tank, so we always end up giving them the value of the gas in the tank. Added up, these amounts probably remove any price advantage over rival companies. Much prefer the full-tank-out, full-tank-back-in system. But anyway, I'm not going to get too excited about that -- we'll just have to try to ensure we don't leave too much petrol in the vehicle when we return it.

As for payment, we can sort it out whenever convenient. Nothing paid as yet. If I pay (no problem), I would prefer either cash or electronic transfer to my bank rather than cheques please. I'm not stressing about this, so don't worry just at the moment (but thanks for the thought).

As for lifts etc, I've decided to make my own way to the airport on Saturday because I think you'll have enough to worry about collecting the Brightonians/Lewesians at that time of the morning without adding me to the list. It's really no problem. As for the return, it seems that my dear wife will have already driven home in my car, so I've been instructed to get a train from the airport -- so no lift needed then either. Thanks for the offer though.

Hee hee. Starting to get excited now.

Whoo
El Gordo

25-01-2010, 06:33 PM,
By the way, the weather in Almeria is looking good this week. Temperatures from Tuesday to Friday (according to the Beeb) should be: 16, 14. 15, 17, with Thurs and Friday forecast as sunny. With a bit of luck that will extend to the weekend.
El Gordo

25-01-2010, 07:29 PM,
More good news - full refund confirmed by Sleezyjet - should get the money back this week.
Hurrah! More for the Guinness fund! Only six more days ... (drool)

25-01-2010, 08:26 PM,
I think that last year we got stung for a full tank of fuel that we couldn't use on each car - atleast we should hopefully use half a tank.

Also we took out the additional insurance to cover things like damaged wingmirrors, lost keys etc. It was either take out the insurance or pay silly amounts of money if they get damaged/lost.

Even so, we were still all in a sweat when we found the black mark down the side of the car!! But luckily we got away with it after lots of T-cutting!!

At the moment I don't need to collect any of the others as they are all driving to me - that's an advantage of living just off the A23.

Julie Big Grin
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-01-2010, 11:23 AM,
(25-01-2010, 06:33 PM)El Gordo Wrote: By the way, the weather in Almeria is looking good this week. Temperatures from Tuesday to Friday (according to the Beeb) should be: 16, 14. 15, 17, with Thurs and Friday forecast as sunny. With a bit of luck that will extend to the weekend.

Just checked the 10 day forecast and it looks like we are going to have a warm and sunny weekend with no rain, with sunday being the hottest day!!

Yippee .... will go and pack the water belt now Big Grin Big Grin If the forecast is still looking hot at the end of the week I may have to take the scissors to the sleeves on my RC running shirt. Don't want to overheat CoolCool!!
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-01-2010, 12:19 PM,
I don't normally like running in heat of any kind but after the winter we've had so far, I think I can just about tolerate a spot of warm sunshine.

Point taken about people driving to you, LR, but that might be even more fretful! Anyway, I'll see you all at the airport I hope. Sweder has my mobile number, and I'll PM it to you before Friday.

Remember to check in online on Friday guys -- we can do so within 30 hours of the flight apparently.

Sweder - yep, I had the EasyJet mail too. I was't worried about them, TBH. RyanAir? Now that would be a different matter. They are famously impossible to contact, with no email address and no customer service phone number. Right bunch of rogues. Will never fly with them again unless there is really no alternative.
El Gordo

26-01-2010, 12:56 PM,
Cryin' Air
Happy it'll be good weather but that pretty much rules out a PB for the course for me; I'm ruddy hopeless in the warm. This'll be my 5th (6th?) straight Medio Maraton de Almeria and it's never been much above nippy. Still time for a rain dance though! Big Grin

Ryannair? Couldn't agree more.
I will not darken their doorstep again Angry

26-01-2010, 01:06 PM,
I saw the bit about checking in online - will do this on Friday, but wasn't sure if Tracy and Marian can do the same as a printer is needed.

If we can all check-in online maybe we wouldn't need to be at the airport 90 mins before the flight?? But I guess leaving home with plenty of time on our side does mean that if something goes wrong on the day hopefully you don't need to go into panic mode. And it gives us a chance to have some breakfast at the airport.

See you at the airport then EG - any problems with your lift phone us and we will do a detour. I'll take you postcode with me and the sat nav.

BTW I've also had the Easyjet email confirming refund.

And another thing --- my sat nav is uk only so no point in me taking it to Spain. EG do you have one to bring??
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-01-2010, 01:12 PM,
(26-01-2010, 01:06 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: And another thing --- my sat nav is uk only so no point in me taking it to Spain. EG do you have one to bring??

Mine is UK and Ireland only, but Sweder, being an international gentleman of leisure, has one for Spain I believe.

Sweder -- you're on your 6th Almerian medio, my 5th. Keep up man. (Not often you hear me say that to you Confused )
El Gordo

26-01-2010, 01:15 PM,
(26-01-2010, 12:56 PM)Sweder Wrote: Happy it'll be good weather but that pretty much rules out a PB for the course for me; I'm ruddy hopeless in the warm. This'll be my 5th (6th?) straight Medio Maraton de Almeria and it's never been much above nippy. Still time for a rain dance though! Big Grin

We have been out training in so many layers lately that I'm hoping that once we get stripped down to shorts and vest that the warmth won't effect us too much.

Think the key in Almeria for us harding snow runners will be to wear as little as possible, and carry and drink water regularly so that you don't dehydrate.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-01-2010, 02:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-01-2010, 07:38 PM by Sweder.)
I'll bring my SatNav. LR it'll be in my truck so you can 'gently remind' me when I rock up in the middle of Friday night Big Grin

26-01-2010, 03:07 PM,
Although it is raining cats and dogs today, apparently, the half marathon weekend will be warm at last.

28-01-2010, 01:28 PM,
What time shall we meet on Saturday to pick up the race numbers? They can be collected from 4:30 pm to 9:30 pm. Apparently, this year there´s no pasta dinner. If you feel like it, we could go to Cabo de Gata natural park on Saturday afternoon, early so that we can enjoy the sunshine and afterwards we all could go to the Vincci hotel to pick up our race numbers. But if you´re tired and don´t feel like going on another trip, we could meet later in the afternoon to pick up the race numbers and have a drink.

As to the post race meal, I´ve been recommended a new place which I think you will like and the meal won´t be too expensive. Around 30 €.

Anyway, I´ll send you a PM with my phone numbers so that you can call me if you need anything.

Best of luck!

Have a safe journey!

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medio Maraton XXI Almeria 2018 Sweder 19 4,587 13-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 20th Almería half marathon Antonio247 96 58,641 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM
  Almería half marathon 2014 Antonio247 43 28,041 31-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads) ladyrunner 174 147,326 26-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  Connemarathon 2010 - All welcome El Gordo 125 106,079 15-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Brighton 10K 2010 The Beast of Bevendean 1 5,292 29-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Last Post: petaral6
  Yellow Umbrella Day 2010 sports.coach 1 4,870 26-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2010 Brighton Marathon Sweder 46 43,257 28-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Almería half marathon 2009 Antonio247 245 159,689 13-02-2009, 08:11 PM
  Almeria Half 2008 - last weekend in January El Gordo 93 66,743 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Last Post: El Gordo