Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October fest
12-10-2009, 03:32 PM,
October fest
I've been lurking here for a while guys, but haven't actually logged on for a bit as I have nothing of any worth to say- nothing new there then - but was astounded to find I had to fill out coded messages to log back on. It nearly stunned me back into silence.

So - the running/jogging/shuffling/waddling proceeds incidentally, why are Runners World forumites getting their collective knickers in a twist about the finer points of runing versus jogging? As any race walker knows, if you are judged to have both feet off the ground even momentarily you are deemed to have run and will therefore be disqualified and shot.

My distances are extending slightly, the pace is getting slightly quicker, but so imperceptably that no one other than me would notice.

I have been really enjoying getting out for a four miler at lunchtime, the weather has been absolutely perfect, crisp, sunny and just warm enough for shorts and vest.

I've also been enjoying reading about your new found enthusiasm El G and I adopted your elevating treadmill regime, makes the boring slog on the tready much more bearable.

Didn't get into London on the ballot for 2010, well there's a surprise. I have tried 5 times without success, unfortunately I had a break of a year in between so still won't qualify for a place on the nod next year and I haven't got the energy to get a charity place. If I had secured a ballot place I would of course raise some money for charity, probably our very own JDRF, but there is just too much pressure to pledge to raise such huge amounts in these times of recession it was hard enough in 2006. I will try and get into Brighton when they release the spare places in Novemember, altenatively, I have been checking out the Windermere marathon, lovely location and not as precipitous and you might think. There again, I might just not bother with a marathon at all ever again.

I'd love to go to Almeria or to Ireland for a half marathon, however our very own family recession crisis might just stop me from being able to do either. Things are pretty gloomy here at the moment. I'll keep on running, at least until my trainers wear out.
Phew this is hard work !
12-10-2009, 06:39 PM,
RE: October fest
Good to hear from you SW, and gald to hear you're getting out and about. It;s that time of year; rustling in the RC hedgerows, faces peeping out, blinking in the autumnal sunshine, sniffing the air for races around the corner.

Sorry to hear the recession is biting in your neighborhood. It's been rough in these parts too, certainly in terms of pressures of work. I'm sat here in Montreal - I've been working sporadically througout the day, though my first actual meeting is in half an hour - wondering if I'm doing the right thing signing up for these tours. But that's me - sign up first, explain yourself later. At least the flights are (relatively) cheap.

It would be great to see you at one of them but if not why not set up a 'down your way' RC plod in your neck of the woods? Glaconman is oop north, EG seems keen and I'd go anywhwere for a bit of social banter and quality running scenery. Worth a thought perhaps.

How's the wrist - back on the fiddle yet? Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-10-2009, 08:06 PM,
Well done on getting out there SW -- oops, not sure I'm allowed to say that anymore... Blush

Aye, that interval routine certainly spices up the normal trudgemill experience. I increased my run speed slightly on Sunday, by 0.5kph. I couldn't quite face increasing the incline though that's supposed to be the next change.

As Sweder said, sorry to hear that you're suffering up there. So far, M and I are just keeping our heads above water though there are job cuts happening around us, so who knows?

In its favour, Almeria is actually not an expensive break. I booked my flights today for £56 all in (from Gatwick). Race entry is about £4, and the 4* hotel, in low season, is somewhere around £35 a night. Mind you, the bar bills tend to put the other costs in the shade...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-10-2009, 10:23 PM,
Oh yes, and we need an SW picture for the top of the page.

We need a bit of glamour round here. Yo
El Gordo

13-10-2009, 03:27 AM,
(12-10-2009, 10:23 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Oh yes, and we need an SW picture for the top of the page.

We need a bit of glamour round here. Yo

Do you have one of you running with your cello?
Run. Just run.
13-10-2009, 07:25 AM,
Great to hear you are thinking of a marathon, SW -- how long since your last one? Sounds like you've been putting in good regular mileage, so now is as good time as any...

I haven't read the run / jog thread on RW, nor do I intend to, but isn't it something to do with the level of aerobic exercise? Easy running (60-65% max HR?) is a good aerobic workout; jogging is more akin to walking in terms of work rate. It's all subjective and fairly pointless, anyway. About as important as the difference between "expectation" and "anticipation" as I recall...
13-10-2009, 07:59 AM,
(13-10-2009, 07:25 AM)marathondan Wrote: About as important as the difference between "expectation" and "anticipation" as I recall...

Frusty
El Gordo

14-10-2009, 12:17 AM,
(13-10-2009, 07:25 AM)marathondan Wrote: About as important as the difference between "expectation" and "anticipation" as I recall...

Don't poke the bear, Dan Behindsofa

14-10-2009, 10:01 AM,
(14-10-2009, 12:17 AM)Sweder Wrote:

Oh I don't know though... I anticipate some people will have expectations of a cyber-stoush.

Boxing
Run. Just run.
14-10-2009, 02:25 PM,
(14-10-2009, 10:01 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(14-10-2009, 12:17 AM)Sweder Wrote:

Oh I don't know though... I anticipate some people will have expectations of a cyber-stoush.

Boxing

Lalala
El Gordo

23-10-2009, 12:59 PM,
Hhm, picture of me and my cello running?? I suppose it could be arranged, but I don't think I could possible compete wih MD for sheer glamour in running gear, You just look gorgeous MD
Phew this is hard work !
28-10-2009, 11:18 AM,
SW - Have you ever done the Helsby 4 Villages Half in January? I've had a vague hankering after it since it was mentioned a few months ago.
El Gordo

30-10-2009, 11:09 AM,
Hi El G, no I haven't done Hlesby but have thought about it myself befoer now. I believe the course is quite attractive. I've just enterd the Wilmslow half for next year, and am vaguely hoping to get a place for the Brighton mara - I really enjoyed visiting my home town back in July. It will only be me 'though as MrSW reckons to have hung up his marathon boots.
Phew this is hard work !
30-10-2009, 12:14 PM,
You'll do well to get a place for Brighton now. I think it's just those returned VLM places that will be made available? Of course, if that fails, there is always the Connemarathon, or Half, on the same day.

Mr SW seems to have become a member of that mysterious club that appeared here a few months ago without my knowledge: the Never Again Group. Not sure who started it but several aging wimps have flocked to join. Not me. I still have unfinished business with the beast. It may be a delusion, but delusions keep me warm as winter appears on the horizon. Looks very unlikely that I'll do anything mara-wise in the spring but if I get somewhere near my targets I'll aim to push on for something later in the year.
El Gordo

30-10-2009, 12:44 PM,
I applied for advance notice of when the VLM returns, spares for Brighton will be coming up for grabs so I'm just keeping fingers crossed at the moment. I'm still keen to get my teeth into another mara I've only done the one after all, I really want to make 5 hours having done 5hours 5 min in 2006 (shouldn't have queued for the loo!!!) I really need a goal/dream to keep me focused and force me to get out there. Don't think I can afford the Irish offers - unless of course things change for the better in the very near future. I'm trying to keep everything crossed, but it makes it very difficult to run with my legs twisted together. Windermere is intriguing me, but a recent icrease in hill training has left me with a niggling touch of bursitis over my left hip, so not sure if I could tackle hills and distance in the same long plod. We'll see, I don't think Windermere gets oversubscribed so could make a late entry if I was feeling up to it perhaps.
Phew this is hard work !
30-10-2009, 01:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-10-2009, 01:03 PM by El Gordo.)
(30-10-2009, 12:44 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: I applied for advance notice of when the VLM returns, spares for Brighton will be coming up for grabs so I'm just keeping fingers crossed at the moment. I'm still keen to get my teeth into another mara I've only done the one after all, I really want to make 5 hours having done 5hours 5 min in 2006 (shouldn't have queued for the loo!!!) I really need a goal/dream to keep me focused and force me to get out there. Don't think I can afford the Irish offers - unless of course things change for the better in the very near future. I'm trying to keep everything crossed, but it makes it very difficult to run with my legs twisted together. Windermere is intriguing me, but a recent icrease in hill training has left me with a niggling touch of bursitis over my left hip, so not sure if I could tackle hills and distance in the same long plod. We'll see, I don't think Windermere gets oversubscribed so could make a late entry if I was feeling up to it perhaps.

Could you compromise? There seem to be quite a few races in Cumbria of shorter distance -- RW search
El Gordo

02-11-2009, 01:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2009, 01:37 PM by stillwaddler.)
Logged on the Brighton marathon site at 10am this morning as instructed by email, and fanfare of trumpets - I'm in!!! Am now in shock, exciting but am feeling quite a degree of trepidation too. I've have booked a hotel in Worthing, as most of the resonably priced hotels in Brighton seem to be booked already.

Now I have to lose about half a stone for starters.

I went to the Adidas factory shop at the weekend, its on the site of an old mill on the outskirts of town which has a brilliant indoor climbing facility. I'd forgotten all about the shop, but was delighted to find some brilliant technical running gear at unbelievalbe prices. Got 2 pairs of lovely running shorts for myself (not seconds but samples) at the amazing price of £4 each. Also bought a new swimmng cossie at only £3. Bought running shorts for my sons and my sin in law to go in their Christmas stockings. saw some trail shoes at £30, which I was tempted by but managed to resist.

Good run yesterday, hard work to start with as I have had a niggling cough, headache all week, plus it was very windy, but was surprised to find I was just a tad quicker than usual. Just got to get a few more long runs in the bank before the marathon training proper starts next month.
Phew this is hard work !
02-11-2009, 01:08 PM,
Thumbs Up  RE: October fest
Yay! Way to go sw! Looking forward already to reading the training diary!
Run. Just run.
02-11-2009, 01:15 PM,
Thumbs Up  RE: October fest
Terrific news! There's a few on here doing Brighton; hopefully you'll all get together on the day. That latest run sounds most encouraging. It all adds to the feeling that the RC world is stirring after the summer recess. Looking forward to plenty of updates Smile

02-11-2009, 01:36 PM,
thanks for the encouragement guys, I'm going to need lashings of it if I'm to survive this one:-) An RC get together would be great especailly as I couldn't pursuade Mr SW to do it with me.
Phew this is hard work !