Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nooooooooooo! (vember)
02-11-2009, 07:12 AM,
Nooooooooooo! (vember)
Finally ventured out for a run today... and almost immediately had to abort! Two days ago I managed to pull my left calf muscle (doing nothing in particular, just to make it all the more annoying), and thought by now it was OK, but after just a hundred metres or so, I could tell it wasn't at all "OK", so I turned it into a walk instead.

No problem, I'll just wait a while longer. At least I have no race deadlines to meet. As I said before, the next three months are difficult to focus on running anyhow.

It'll come good though. All in good time.

So instead I spent a day at home drinking coffee and listening to Metallica while I did a few other chores. Life's tough, eh? Why Metallica? Well, you can blame Sweder for that. Anyone following him on Twitter (Tweder?) and/or facebook will know what I mean. Having gone through my Motorhead/Alice Cooper/Anvil collection in recent days, I thought it time to catch up with some of the big boys. Six hours of non-stop Metallica and I'm ready for anything!

Ironically, I'm off in an hour to have dinner with my elderly aunt-in-law. Which is about as far removed from heavy metal as it gets - bone china and borage sandwiches kind of far. Actually, I love it. I'm a creature of contrasts, after all. Tongue
Run. Just run.
02-11-2009, 12:39 PM,
RE: Nooooooooooo! (vember)
(02-11-2009, 07:12 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Finally ventured out for a run today... and almost immediately had to abort! Two days ago I managed to pull my left calf muscle (doing nothing in particular, just to make it all the more annoying), and thought by now it was OK, but after just a hundred metres or so, I could tell it wasn't at all "OK", so I turned it into a walk instead.

Aha! A pulled left calf muscle? You've come to the right place. Do please come in and take a seat....

First of all, it may not be a pull. Could well be just a strain which seems is the trouble I had last winter (several times). Strain is much better as it will heal more quickly. A pull, or worse, a tear, is bad news and may have you out of action for several weeks.

So the first thing is to have it diagnosed if unsure. That said, if you can walk on it, it doesn't sound too serious.

As for treatment, you need to rest it. A neoprene calf strap will help a lot. There's no short cut.

Trouble is, if it happens once, it can happen again. You can help prevent that with a sports massage, stretching (targetted at the calf), and by using compression when you run, either with the calf support mentioned, or a compression sock.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM,
(02-11-2009, 12:39 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Aha! A pulled left calf muscle? You've come to the right place. Do please come in and take a seat....

Thank you, Dr EG. All duly noted!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
02-11-2009, 01:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2009, 01:50 PM by Sweder.)
Bad luck mate. One of many 'aged' issues - we take longer to heal ghan we used to.
EG's right of course - you have to determine the cause/ type of injury (not easy with calves/ calfs) and probably take ultra-sound or even (gulp) Chinese Cup treatment.
Incidentally my right cald remains suspect - it's never been right since I strained it on the Steyning Stinger in March 2007. I guess at our level it's less of a problem. Clearly watching Paula hobbling over the last 5k in NY (tendonitis has been mentioned) these things affect top performers a good deal more.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-11-2009, 01:31 PM,
By the way Sweder, I took note of your info about compression socks, and invested in some Skins Powersox, which arrived this morning. Everything I've read about these is positive, so I'm hopeful. They are said to keep calf problems at bay if worn when running, and to aid recovery if worn post-run. I'll report back on the results. I must avoid further calf problems if I want to hit my goals this season.
El Gordo

02-11-2009, 01:52 PM,
(02-11-2009, 01:31 PM)El Gordo Wrote: By the way Sweder, I took note of your info about compression socks, and invested in some Skins Powersox, which arrived this morning. Everything I've read about these is positive, so I'm hopeful. They are said to keep calf problems at bay if worn when running, and to aid recovery if worn post-run. I'll report back on the results. I must avoid further calf problems if I want to hit my goals this season.

Excellent; I'll be most interested in the results.
I too need to protect my dodgy calf & its just too darned warm for leggings just at the moment.

02-11-2009, 01:57 PM,
(02-11-2009, 01:52 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(02-11-2009, 01:31 PM)El Gordo Wrote: By the way Sweder, I took note of your info about compression socks, and invested in some Skins Powersox, which arrived this morning. Everything I've read about these is positive, so I'm hopeful. They are said to keep calf problems at bay if worn when running, and to aid recovery if worn post-run. I'll report back on the results. I must avoid further calf problems if I want to hit my goals this season.

Excellent; I'll be most interested in the results.
I too need to protect my dodgy calf & its just too darned warm for leggings just at the moment.

There are a lot of different brands but the Skins Powersox were universally well reviewed so I went with them. They feel very light and unobtrusive, so am hopeful they won't be too noticeable on the run. I've been running for months with the much thicker neoprene calf support (including the marathon), so I'm presuming these will be fine.
El Gordo

02-11-2009, 01:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2009, 01:59 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(02-11-2009, 01:52 PM)Sweder Wrote: I too need to protect my dodgy calf & its just too darned warm for leggings just at the moment.

What?! I think you need to re-read your ink-not-yet-dry report of that last wind-swept, storm-lashed, nearly-frozen-to-death experience of a run you had on the weekend!

Huh
Run. Just run.
02-11-2009, 02:34 PM,
(02-11-2009, 01:57 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(02-11-2009, 01:52 PM)Sweder Wrote: I too need to protect my dodgy calf & its just too darned warm for leggings just at the moment.

What?! I think you need to re-read your ink-not-yet-dry report of that last wind-swept, storm-lashed, nearly-frozen-to-death experience of a run you had on the weekend!

Huh

Uh? You don't believe all that stuff we write do you? This is a creative writing project, not a running website.

Doh
El Gordo

02-11-2009, 03:45 PM,
(02-11-2009, 01:57 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:

Huh

Back at you, sir.
I never once mentioned that it was cold; simply blowy and a bit damp.

02-11-2009, 09:08 PM,
(02-11-2009, 03:45 PM)Sweder Wrote: I never once mentioned that it was cold; simply blowy and a bit damp.

True, but there's not a single singlet to be seen in any of the photos. It definitely looks cold, sir. I'm guessing it must have been somewhat under 20 degrees. Yes?

Cold.

Smow
Run. Just run.
08-11-2009, 10:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2009, 10:08 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Hot to trot, but not to run. A gardener's dilemma.
Speaking of cold, it definitely isn't that here right now. I've returned to Adelaide exactly in time for the latest heat wave: a whole week of 35C+ days. Yesterday saw me toiling in the garden as the temperature climbed to 35.5, and today we're forecast 37 before the real heat sets in with a couple of 39C days starting tomorrow.

This is one of the reasons we're leaving Adelaide - I like hot weather, really I do - but days and days on end of it just saps the will to live. Actually it isn't the extreme heat during the day so much, as the hot nights. Last night was OK (it got down to 25), but when the really hot stuff kicks in it isn't unusual for the overnight minimum to be in the low 30s.

After a few days of this, everything is so hot that there's no escape. Air-conditioning ceases to be effective, the cold tap is running hot, the pool water is over 30, and you get burnt whenever you touch anything that's been in the sun. And of course, gardens die. Which is ironic given that I'm frantically trying to turn our "garden" into something vaguely beautiful in order to sell the property in the new year. None of which is made easy by the tough water restrictions we've had since the drought that greeted the new century, and which has only eased over the last 8 months or so.

Currently we are allowed two 3-hour periods per week when we can water the garden by hand using a trigger nozzle. Outside of those times we can only water using a watering can or a bucket. No watering systems are allowed. When the rate of evaporation is far, far greater than the rate at which you can apply water, this is a futile proposition with the standard plants we've all grown up with (excuse the pun). Even the weeds and trees died during the drought - your poor old roses and petunias never stood a chance.

So we're rapidly learning about drought-tolerant plants, and removing anything that can't survive on a teaspoon of water per week. It's crazy, and it's a lot of work, and it's very, very hot. So I haven't been for a run, but strange to say I'm feeling seriously fit now, RC people! I think a combination of strenuous physical labour, lots of water (for me, not the garden) and a fantastic summer diet of green, leafy things and a ton of fruit each day is doing me wonders.

It's very odd to sit here and read of the cold, stormy conditions which most RCers seem to be experiencing just now! But as I say, these heat waves are all a bit much, and I think the more moderate conditions of Sydney are going to be a welcome relief in the years to come. Sydney can get hot too, of course (one day of 45C there last summer), but they are generally short-lived and with some relief at night. The hot northerlies that blow across the inland deserts and which bring the relentless fearful heat to Adelaide are far from Sydney and will not drive me mad for much longer.

Enjoy your cool conditions, my northern friends, and spare a thought for me as I plant out another alien-looking twig in the hot sand here and hope for a bit of greenery come sale time.

MLCM.
Run. Just run.
10-11-2009, 09:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2009, 11:13 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Life in Extreme Heat; or MLC Man Squeezes One In.
The heat continues: 38 yesterday and 39 forecast today. The only opportunity for running comes pretty much in the hour before sun-up, and that depends on how well you slept during the night if you are bereft of aircon (as I am).

However, I woke at 6am having slept quite well and headed out for a quick run before the sun rose over the eastern hills (well, it'd be a bad day that it rose over the western hills, wouldn't it?)

It was still 26C, but after the previous few days this felt like blessed relief, and the streets were surprisingly busy with walkers and fellow runners getting one in before the furnace began again.

So, a 30 minute run was had, and mighty enjoyable it was, too. Runs have been rare for me these last few weeks so it was great to stretch the legs and get a few kms under the belt. I'm glad I made the effort: just a few minutes after getting home the sun rose and, well, normally a sunrise is a thing of joy, but at the moment the sun showing up is akin to the school bully greeting you at the gate: not at all welcome. Within ten minutes the temperature had risen to 30C and the sun was barely above the tree tops. Clearly another scorcher in the offing.

I won't miss these heatwaves when I finally pull the last plug on my exit from Adelaide. And climate-change sceptics would be well advised to look at the stats for Adelaide. The heatwaves here are fiercer, more frequent, longer and start earlier in the season, as the records will attest to. Fun, I don't think.

By the way, I've spied a nice little 12km race early in January that I think I could be tempted by. Which means...

...I may be back in training. Scared

P.S. Track du jour: "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" - Darkness. Try not running to this one!
Run. Just run.
30-11-2009, 04:16 PM,
Congratulations on your return to training MLCM. I don't envy your heat - well not much, seeing as there is a howling freezing draght sneaking round my back sat here in the office, but it must be almost impossible to run in. Hope you manage to sneak in a few more early runs before the sun scorching begins.
Phew this is hard work !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nooooooooooo!vember Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 23 9,285 27-11-2015, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Go!vember Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 25 13,259 17-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Last Post: El Gordo