Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brighton to Hyde Park
24-12-2009, 10:31 AM,
RE: Brighton to Hyde Park
Don't worry about your brief seasonal glitch ElG, things will be fine by the time you do your 10K and I still have you down as safe bet for a pb.
Weatehr is mucking up the beginning of my mara trianing here - ended up doing 8 miles on the tready on Monday because I couldn't run outside on the icy pavements, not something Id like to do on a regular basis!
Phew this is hard work !
24-12-2009, 11:30 AM,
(24-12-2009, 10:31 AM)stillwaddler Wrote: Don't worry about your brief seasonal glitch ElG, things will be fine by the time you do your 10K and I still have you down as safe bet for a pb.

Wise words SW: this could be just the kind of mini-collapse/ taper EG needs to bag a corker. Sometimes I have a cracking run after a bit of a lapse; it does a body good to truly relax once in a while.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-12-2009, 07:28 AM,
(24-12-2009, 11:30 AM)Sweder Wrote:
(24-12-2009, 10:31 AM)stillwaddler Wrote: Don't worry about your brief seasonal glitch ElG, things will be fine by the time you do your 10K and I still have you down as safe bet for a pb.

Wise words SW: this could be just the kind of mini-collapse/ taper EG needs to bag a corker. Sometimes I have a cracking run after a bit of a lapse; it does a body good to truly relax once in a while.

Thirded. Stick with it EG, all will be well if you persist. Smile
Run. Just run.
25-12-2009, 12:34 PM,
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I agree that a break can be a good thing. It's all the stuff I'm throwing down my neck at the moment that's the problem. A new year PB was heavily dependent on being much lighter than I am at the moment, but so be it. The Ragdale trip, beneficial though it was, has capsized my routine. My fault for letting it, and I will get back on track, but lord knows when. Not likely to be in time for new year. Might have to readjust my goals. Sorry, but there we are. Sad
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
26-12-2009, 02:32 PM,
(25-12-2009, 12:34 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I agree that a break can be a good thing. It's all the stuff I'm throwing down my neck at the moment that's the problem. A new year PB was heavily dependent on being much lighter than I am at the moment, but so be it. The Ragdale trip, beneficial though it was, has capsized my routine. My fault for letting it, and I will get back on track, but lord knows when. Not likely to be in time for new year. Might have to readjust my goals. Sorry, but there we are. Sad

Didn't mean to sound quite so negative there. I've had a really good 3 months or so, and have made great progress, which I intend to continue. But the to-be-expected slip has come at a very unfortunate moment. Perhaps a PB attempt a week after Christmas isn't great planning. My intention is to get back on track, starting today, but this leaves me just 5 or 6 days till the new year race. I will still do the race, but may have to modify expectations a little. A PB isn't impossible but more realistically, if I can beat my Brighton time, I'll be pleased. I'll do the best I can. I'm currently 7 pounds heavier than I was 2 weeks ago! Ooops.
El Gordo

30-12-2009, 11:51 AM,
Thumbs Up  RE: 29 December 2009
Magnificent writing once again EG, it really is a privilege to read your work. And honestly, your running isn't too bad either - am really looking forward to seeing what 2010 holds in store for you.
Run. Just run.
30-12-2009, 01:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-12-2009, 01:55 PM by El Gordo.)
RE: 29 December 2009
(30-12-2009, 11:51 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Magnificent writing once again EG, it really is a privilege to read your work. And honestly, your running isn't too bad either - am really looking forward to seeing what 2010 holds in store for you.

Blush

Thanks MLCM, but give me the writing and running energy of Sweder anyday. Let's leave that one there at the moment though.

2010 - a more interesting topic. Yes, I remain optimistic and excited too. I've had a patchy December, but so be it. Nothing wrong with a spot of downtime. The trouble is, it's rarely scheduled, so it tends to push out my plans/hopes rather a lot. As long as you can keep your head above the swell of disappointment, you're OK. I think that's something it's taken me a long time to learn. I'm still determined to get a clean sweep of PBs in 2010, though the target races may shift here and there. I have to nominate certain races to keep motivated, but if I don't get a good run when I say I will, too bad. I will just have to shift the attempt to the next one. I still aim to do well at the Reading Half in April, but if I don't get my sub-2 that day, it will have to happen a bit later on.

A lot of races coming up. I think I have 6 already entered, with several more planned. It's the way to keep focused. As long as I don't get injured, I'm very confident about the year ahead. Sounds like you're on a roll as well, so let's hope you manage to knock over some of your targets.
El Gordo

30-12-2009, 01:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-12-2009, 01:39 PM by Sweder.)
RE: 29 December 2009
(30-12-2009, 01:02 PM)El Gordo Wrote: A lot of races coming up. I think I have 6 already entered, with several more planned. It's the way to keep focused. As long as I don't get injured, I'm very confident about the year ahead. Sounds like you're on a roll as well, so let's hope you manage to knock over some of your targets.

El Gordos blog Wrote:It's also a path favoured by the wide, revered Seafront Plodder

Harsh but fair I'd say. And thanks for the plug for my own ramblings.

I'm bound to say there's a lot of positivity around this place just now. I feel pretty chipper after consecutive outings over 8 miles. Dan's experimentation with embalming in motion are inspirational, as are MLCMan's pre-dawn antipodean excursions. EG's battle is all the more moving and admirable considering the artillery lined up against him; an impressive wine cellar, a pub next door and just recently an incapacitated (now hopefully fully recovered - my best to M) spouse leaving him free to pursue those delicious, nefarious mores.

I share your optimism EG. I think 2010 will prove to be a terrific year for RCers. 2009 wasn't terribly good for me for a number of running-related reasons, one of which, tragically, we all shared in. I'll be pleased to see the back of it.

And finally, before I strap my ample bottom into my L200 for a ludicrous battle up the M23 to delivery my Mother's belated Christmas gift, I'd like to publicly endorse MLCMan's comments regarding your writing. You've been a tad frugal with your offerings over the year - understandably so - yet consitently you deliver with panache. Each missive is rather like a lovingly-prepared miniature banquet; delicious, perfectly-cooked centre-piece meats decorated with surprising and delightful tidbits; rare, juicy morsels accompanied by rich, full-blooded wine of fine vintage. And like all the very best meals you deliver quality over quantity, leaving us mopping our plates eager for another bite. Thank you.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

30-12-2009, 01:43 PM,
Quote:You've been a tad frugal with your offerings over the year - understandably so - yet consitently you deliver with panache. Each missive is rather like a lovingly-prepared miniature banquet; delicious, perfectly-cooked centre-piece meats decorated with surprising and delightful tidbits; rare, juicy morsels accompanied by rich, full-blooded wine of fine vintage. And like all the very best meals you deliver quality over quantity, leaving us mopping our plates eager for another bite. Thank you.

Agreed here, and quite bizarrely, exactly how I was just about to describe it too.
03-01-2010, 11:50 AM,
A fine account, and admirably illustrated. In the best traditions of the romantic movement, you have turned an individual's suffering into art of universal relevance. Good luck for Almeria
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods