Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
December
26-12-2009, 04:44 PM,
December
Just a quick update to say that I'm still running. In between the odd injury, colds and bingeing I've miraculously managed to keep this baby afloat.

Couple of highlights for this month. First the Calderdale Way Relay. An amazing event that covers the entire Calderdale Way. Teams of 12 cover the entire 50 mile course over 6 legs and running in pairs. So when I awoke at 8am my team was just setting off. Alongside 120 other teams. That's alot of runners. Running the final leg we had a bad start due to a misplaced bumbag which put us under real pressure. But we held our position. I was running with somebody who holds half a dozen club records so was beasted around the last 5 miles, but in very supportive fashion. Luckily I had a pre-planned lift from the finish to a couple of pints of Abbeydale Moonshine within a matter of minutes. Our club brought home the mixed-team trophy; we had the most teams out; plus a post-event do in the evening. A great experience.

Second, today's Boxing Day Chevin Chase. A great route over to the Chevin Woodland Park above Otley and back. Running on ice and snow with over 800 runners felt really good on a bright and sunny day. The race was won by the World Triathlon Champion (well, he started it so I'm guessing he won it) who's a local lad. Think I came in at around 40th, so a respectable effort.

Hope everybody has a good New Year. I'm going to be thinking about the coming 12 months over the next few days and shall pencil in some races. Let's hope it's a good year for us all.
27-12-2009, 08:27 AM,
RE: December
40th out of a field of 800. Not bad I suppose Jaw
Here's to more fantasy fell running in the new Year G-man; you're an inspiration!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-12-2009, 12:15 PM,
Nice running g-man, great to see you're still out there mixing it up. Looking forward to reading of your race plans for 2010.
Run. Just run.
03-01-2010, 10:44 AM,
Much appreciated chaps. 37th from 825 was the final result; which I'm really chuffed with.

And it means I start 2010 in much better shape than when I started 2009. The other two things that pleased me about the race where that I was able to run quickly down some pretty difficult icy decents without going over on my ankle. Plus I seemed to finish strongly. I've been used to people streaming past me in the last mile; but this time I actually made-up a couple of places in the last half of the race.

The winner took a minute out of his brother and 3:44 out of 3rd place. Amazing stuff. A medal cert for London 2012 I'd say.

glaconman

race winner
03-01-2010, 12:13 PM,
Brilliant effort again, GM. I think there would be no argument if it was suggested you were RC Runner of the Year -- if there was such an award. Your improvement has been truly astonishing, and seriously, is a great inspiration to us all. Looking forward to hearing more exploits from the Dales through 2010.

Best wishes to M and t'lad too. Oh, and to your community-minded neighbour. I've mentioned him to a lot of people since seeing the film.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-01-2010, 12:42 PM,
Kind words Mr President. Let's see if I can keep going for another year Smile

I'll try and keep you posted of exploits from The North. Although they have tended to be fairly short and factual of late.

I'm opening a bottle of Benromach tonight; so will toast to your continued health EG.
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM by Sweder.)
(03-01-2010, 12:13 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I think there would be no argument if it was suggested you were RC Runner of the Year -- if there was such an award. Your improvement has been truly astonishing, and seriously, is a great inspiration to us all. Looking forward to hearing more exploits from the Dales through 2010.

Without a doubt; remarkable progress.
It's them hills I tells ya Big Grin

Good luck in 2010 G-man. One of these days I'll get to one of your wonderful fell races.
I'm not too bothered about keeping you in my sights, just so long as I can follow you to one of those wonderful refueling stations!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December 2012 glaconman 5 2,934 27-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sweder