Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LE JOG
04-01-2010, 06:54 PM,
RE: LE JOG
Yes, just saw the news on Twitter; taking a southerly route it seems. Might catch up with him in St Austell Big Grin
This thing could run and run!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-01-2010, 08:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2010, 09:33 PM by ladyrunner.)
Just got home from my second leg of LE JOG. I'm sure in a month's time I won't be referring to each run as Leg 25, 26 and so on!!

Dressed to keep warm in thermal tights, thermal Cold Canterbury baselayer, 2nd Canterbury Cold baselayer, Aldi best bargain ever running jacket, gloves and headband. The temperature down on Penzance Prom was -1 deg CSadSad!!

I decided to come off the A30 and then headed down to the seafront. I passed by Nigel who was resting on the Promenade, waved at him as I went by (noted this on my map with a letter 'N'). Then carried on towards the train station. Past the Heliport then continued for a further mile on a quiet road running parallel to the sandy beach. It would have been nice to run on the sand but lack of street lighting meant I had to keep to the road.

Resting up tonight down by the beach before I head off tomorrow morning for my 12.5 mile run with my training buddies Ash and Jen.

If you read this post before I edited it I deleted the bit about 'DINNER PLATE' markers as decided that you wouldn't be able to see my route through the UK clearly if zoomed out.

JulieBig Grin
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
04-01-2010, 09:36 PM,
And a warm welcome to Nigel! I thought I saw you somewhere along that coast road. Wink
Run. Just run.
05-01-2010, 12:34 AM,
(04-01-2010, 09:36 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: And a warm welcome to Nigel! I thought I saw you somewhere along that coast road. Wink

It's quite unlikely you'll see me on the road all that often. MLCMan -- taking a leaf out of Sweder's book, I've been testing the 'off-road' approach to its limits in all those Cornish fish restaurants.

Then there's that pub just outside Penzance, where Julie saw me earlier. Frankly I'm astonished I ever made it out of 'The Old Success' in Sennen Cove -- it's the perfect locale for the serious 'off-road' practitioner...
05-01-2010, 07:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010, 07:52 AM by marathondan.)
Two stages into the great journey. Took a look at the celtic cross at Crows-an-Wra, then trotted into Penzance for a look at the harbour. Saw a couple of familar faces down there. Pretty chilly at 10pm.
05-01-2010, 08:07 AM,
(05-01-2010, 07:51 AM)marathondan Wrote: Saw a couple of familar faces down there. Pretty chilly at 10pm.

From looking at your map you are only a couple of hundred metres behind me. We should have met up for a drink last nightBig Grin!!

Minus 2 deg C this morning as I raid through all my running clothes to decide which combination will keep me warmest, but not too ridiculously hot!

Not sure where I'm heading today - just going to run and see where it takes me.

Julie Smile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
05-01-2010, 08:15 AM,
I did take a quick look at some of the pubs in Penzance, but none looked inspiring from the outside (i.e. photo on google map). But of course those are often the best pubs...

I'm doing less than 20 miles a week at present so I expect I will just see a trail of your dust up the coast road from now on...
05-01-2010, 08:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010, 08:34 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(05-01-2010, 08:15 AM)marathondan Wrote: I'm doing less than 20 miles a week at present...

You and me both, Dan, so don't worry. Am slowly building things up, but Softly, Softly is the approach. (Fans of 1960s British cop shows will understand the photo). I miss Z Cars too... sorry, I'm off topic all of a sudden. Frown

[Image: upe3233.jpg]
Run. Just run.
05-01-2010, 08:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010, 08:57 AM by El Gordo.)
(05-01-2010, 08:33 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(05-01-2010, 08:15 AM)marathondan Wrote: I'm doing less than 20 miles a week at present...

You and me both, Dan, so don't worry. Am slowly building things up, but Softly, Softly is the approach. (Fans of 1960s British cop shows will understand the photo). I miss Z Cars too... sorry, I'm off topic all of a sudden. Frown

Crikey, you're going all British on us.... Faint2

Well I'm feeling a bit left out of all this wild social life that's going on in Penzance. Am heading off over the Cornish moors on the minor roads at the moment. More pleasant for running....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-01-2010, 11:43 AM,
What do you mean, 1960s? That's the latest model used by Devon & Cornwall Constabulary!
05-01-2010, 12:38 PM,
El G, you seem to have set up your LE JOG map with edit permissions. (Not sure if I can save changes though.) I think everyone else has used the "share" URL whereas you've used the "edit" URL. I'd hate for anyone to hack your route...
05-01-2010, 12:46 PM,
(05-01-2010, 12:38 PM)marathondan Wrote: El G, you seem to have set up your LE JOG map with edit permissions. (Not sure if I can save changes though.) I think everyone else has used the "share" URL whereas you've used the "edit" URL. I'd hate for anyone to hack your route...

I noticed this yesterday and managed to save a copy of EG's run to 'My Runs' under a different URL though, which I then deleted.

Off for a bath and lunch, then more plotting this afternoon on LR's map.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
05-01-2010, 01:37 PM,
Thanks for the info about the URL. I think I've saved it correctly now. Let me know if I haven't!
El Gordo

05-01-2010, 02:36 PM,
(05-01-2010, 01:37 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Thanks for the info about the URL. I think I've saved it correctly now. Let me know if I haven't!

That's a good point. Also, any tips on saving the route so that I don't have to change the url link in my signature? I guess keeping the same name would help: when I go to save the route the interface asks me to choose a location and country for the route. Sorry, not terribly quick on the uptake I'm afraid : (

05-01-2010, 02:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010, 04:24 PM by Sweder.)
Jogged on from St Ives (where despite keeping my eyes open I failed to spot a man with more than one wife), heading along the north shore road through Gwithian to Portreath. I'm heading for Porthtowan, a surfer's paradise visited by my mob a couple of years ago. We spent many happy hours trying to remain upright on surfboards, fruitlessly in my case. I watched in envy as my son took to surfing like a duck to, er, salt water. Of course I put this down to his mis-spent years scooting about on a skateboard.

[Image: 10.jpg]

Portreath is nice enough. I'm delighted to have reached the Waterfront Inn in good time for Rocket Ronnie's Thursday Night Quiz. I might hang around until Friday when I'm told one can purchase one steak dinner at full price with the second one at half price. Not sure I'll be able to tuck both away but who knows? Another hungry LE JOGger might happen by, in which case we can share my good fortune. In accord with my January decree I'll avoid the local temptations and settle instead for a bottle of delicious Cornish Mulled Apple Juice, a must in these chilly conditions.

Happily, despite the extreme chill and impending heavy snow, the sun's out, so I offer you this hastily-gathered snap of the pub.

[Image: n32706919310_878601_7022.jpg]

Click my LE JOG link at the foot of this post for an updated map.

05-01-2010, 04:09 PM,
Yum, not sure it was a good idea to call in for afternoon tea at the Lanyon Tea Room near Madron, but was only out for 3.5 miler today, so I decided to risk it. Through the sizeable village of Heamoor, where I decided to pass up the chance of a swift half at the Sportsmans Arms, which didn't look that hospitable:
[Image: 26513m.jpg] .

I ran out of puff in the middle of nowhere, on my way to the hamlet of Ludgvan, where I intend to pay homage to the birthplace of Dr William Oliver, inventor of the Bath Oliver biscuit.
El Gordo

05-01-2010, 04:10 PM,
(05-01-2010, 02:36 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(05-01-2010, 01:37 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Thanks for the info about the URL. I think I've saved it correctly now. Let me know if I haven't!

That's a good point. Also, any tips on saving the route so that I don't have to change the url link in my signature? I guess keeping the same name would help: when I go to save the route the interface asks me to choose a location and country for the route. Sorry, not terribly quick on the uptake I'm afraid : (

It should be straightforward. If you click Save Route rather than Save As, you should be able to save it to the same URL without having to enter anything more.
El Gordo

05-01-2010, 10:26 PM,
My travels today took me on a 12.5 mile run. Started off on the quite coastal road of Marazion, then I picked up the A394 for 9 miles and headed in to Helston for a look round.

At this point in my run I stopped off for a beer or two at The Blue Anchor Inn, which is one of Englands oldest pubs dating back to the 15th Century. It has also been a Brewer for over 600 years today producing 4 beers.

[Image: blueanchor.jpg]

Bought myself a sun hat (not for the snowy winter weather) but more as a keep sake.

http://www.spingoales.com/Cap.html

Resting tomorrow - if anybody is passing through Helston see you in The Blue Anchor for a spot of lunch. Should be there 1pm.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
06-01-2010, 09:20 PM,
Hey, get this....

I've toyed with the idea for a couple of years of doing the Forest of Dean Half in Gloucestershire, as it's a place I'd like to go again, and is a highly regarded race on scenic forest trails. It's on 28th March, with the start very roughly 240 miles from where I am on the map at present (depending on how circuitous I feel like being). It struck me that this is just about bang on my expected mileage between now and the end of March.

Yes! This means I could actually run a real section of my LE JOG in real time!

It could be a bit unfair on MLCM, but perhaps we should aim to actually run a real section of the map at some point through the year, at exactly the point we arrive there virtually? I wouldn't be harsh enough to make it a rule, but maybe something to think about.
El Gordo

06-01-2010, 10:02 PM,
(06-01-2010, 09:20 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Hey, get this....

I've toyed with the idea for a couple of years of doing the Forest of Dean Half in Gloucestershire, as it's a place I'd like to go again, and is a highly regarded race on scenic forest trails. It's on 28th March, with the start very roughly 240 miles from where I am on the map at present (depending on how circuitous I feel like being). It struck me that this is just about bang on my expected mileage between now and the end of March.

Yes! This means I could actually run a real section of my LE JOG in real time!

It could be a bit unfair on MLCM, but perhaps we should aim to actually run a real section of the map at some point through the year, at exactly the point we arrive there virtually? I wouldn't be harsh enough to make it a rule, but maybe something to think about.

Hey EG, The Forest of Dean is somewhere that I was hoping to visit this year too for some camping, running and cycling. Never been there but am very keen to see the place and am thinking of going there in the summer on route to Snowdonia or the Lake District.

Probably not possible for me that weekendSad - it would have been totally possible if it was the following weekend as the kids would have been off school and they could have come along too, and we could have had a long weekend away camping in the van.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!