Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LE JOG
15-01-2010, 09:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 15-01-2010, 09:53 AM by Sweder.)
RE: LE JOG
(15-01-2010, 12:52 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Cursing my luck, I dragged my knackered limb into a derelict barn, and made a bed for myself among the flea-ridden bales of hay, from where I post this message under the pale Cornish moonlight.

An icy blast is freezing my heart, and I am growing weaker by the hour. I hope to be able to rejoin the human race before I expire, but I am not sure I will make it. But hay, I have at least met a splendid old nag with whom, in this bale-ful environment, I am building a stable relationship.

Just so long as you're not clutching at straws

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

15-01-2010, 04:22 PM,
I'm left staring forlornly at the horizon at Lybster, it's going to be e cold night in the Scottish Highlands.
Phew this is hard work !
16-01-2010, 10:53 PM,
Why are you running north to south sw? Is this a raging desire to be different; or just your true rebellious nature coming through?
Run. Just run.
17-01-2010, 10:40 AM,
(16-01-2010, 10:53 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Why are you running north to south sw? Is this a raging desire to be different; or just your true rebellious nature coming through?

A mid-life crisis? Laugh
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
17-01-2010, 03:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-01-2010, 10:17 PM by Sweder.)
Padders
I tripped yet further northward, leaving the balmy delights of Harlyn Bay, running through the charming village of Treator and on into Padstow. I've been looking forward to stopping by Rick Stein's Seafood Café ever since reading Arabella Weir's review in the Guardian. Stein owns and operates no less than five eateries in the region; I'd stopped by to watch the St. Merryn locals imbibe joyfully at his craftily-named Cornish Arms a few nights back. Stein is well known to BBC viewers as Mr Seafood, less engaging if no less authorititive a TV Chef than the incomporable Keith Floyd, sadly lost to his many fans last September.

I'm not sure why I'm loathed to love Stein. Perhaps it's my staunch allegiance to the maverick, Stranglers-and-wine-loving Floyd, or possibly the fact that try as he might to be an Everyman Stein has the air of a man with a dark secret. There are murmerings in these parts about Sopranoesque business practices, bullying over the purchase of local property and the inexorable expansion of the Stein Empire. All I'm really after is a mouthful of Monkfish and a kiss of something light, cold and creamy to wash it down.

After indulging my passion for fresh seafood I lumbered along to North Quay where, in terms of this Homeric journey, I cheated. Well, I took the Rock Ferry across the Camel estuary. My choice of shortcut was not simply to save on shoe leather; lord knowns I've taken a far from linear approach to this challenge already. I rather fancied a brisk skip across the bay, a chance to drink in the intoxicatingly beautiful scenery, to gaze upon Padstow from the water and to make use of a form of transport that shares its name with a Duffy album.

[Image: main.jpg]

Disembarking in the gloom of dusk I set off inland, seeking lodgings. I didn't want to go too far, yet I was disappointed at the dearth of obviously welcoming (or, indeed, open) hostilries to be found in Rock. As the fates would have it I ran a further two miles north into Port Isaac, most recently in the public eye (what is it with these Cornish villages?) as host to the Martin Clunes vehicle, Doc Martin. Well after dark the temperature had dropped dramatically; luckily I found - would you believe it - another Cornish Arms. This far more modest establishment does not boast the support of a prolific celebrity chef, or even offer itself as the backdrop to a television drama. It does however offer very reasonable B&B within its qaint, slightly cramped 16th Century bossom and boasts a shining 2009 endorsement from CAMRA.
Not that I'm interested in that just at the moment.

17-01-2010, 07:07 PM,
Managed to catch up on plotting my routes today after having no internet access for a few days.

Have pushed on along the A390 and now am about 15-20 miles west of Plymouth on the A38. I have to decided to head for Dartmoor National Park which is a place that I have always wanted to visit but never been to.

My entries for the last few days are:-

Thursday 4 miles - was taking it easy as tired legs from 12 mile snow run on Tuesday.

Saturday 5 miles - including a fast 5k run.

Sunday 13 miles - again legs are feeling tired from fairly heavy mileage since stating LE JOG 2010.

Total distance covered now is 81 miles.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
17-01-2010, 11:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-01-2010, 02:39 PM by stillwaddler.)
(17-01-2010, 10:40 AM)El Gordo Wrote:
(16-01-2010, 10:53 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Why are you running north to south sw? Is this a raging desire to be different; or just your true rebellious nature coming through?

A mid-life crisis? Laugh

You flatter me El G - I'm far too old for a mid life crisis :-) I just think it is far more logical to run down hill, and If i run Scotland at this time of the year I will avoid the dreaded midges :-) Another 12 cold miles accomplished on Saturday, I could do with a dram.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/north%2...9887956156

this dog leg provided a stunning view...and at last a place for a nice lemonade ;-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phew this is hard work !
18-01-2010, 12:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 18-01-2010, 12:34 AM by Nigel.)
Thursday 14th Jan 4.37 miles Falmouth down south to the headland to have a look across the bay at all the millionaire mansions in St Mawes.

Friday 15th Jan 5.34 miles. Back from the headland south of Falmouth Station for some trainspotting. Hard work lugging that flask and notebook, but well worth the excitement. An hour later I set off over the hill (appropriately enough), and then back on the road out of town. Found a beautiful warm B&B just outside Mylor Bridge.

Unusual name for a place -- did they manufacture plastics here, or was there a peer of the realm once unable to say his 'd'?

Finally I pondered an old but much-loved football story (if not legend) here, which my Welsh boss told me once. As I recall it, a foreign star playing in the lower divisions some years ago (was it really at his beloved Wrexham ?) basked under the finely distinctive and highly unusual name of Perpetuini. For ever afterwards known by the home fans as 'Milo' -- and for those in the know, that's the purple Tweenie.

Saturday 16th Jan 8.55 miles. The brief stand-up gig in Mylor Bridge now an uncomfortable hangover of a memory, it was time to hot-foot it out of town for a big push of a run today, welcoming the warmer temperatures. Running with the setting sun and a fair westerly wind behind my back. Exploring the shores of the Carrick Roads -- a classic submerged estuary or ria.

Stumbled through Penpol in the fading light, and finally set down for the night with a nasty blister on my right big toe in the ne'er apter named village of Feock.

Sunday 17th Jan 5.47 miles. A slow recovery run, crossing the ria at King Harry, and on to Trewithian. Occasional showers at first. Visibility 5 miles, rising. Good.

January miles to date: 61.87 miles
2010 miles to date 61.87 miles
18-01-2010, 12:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 18-01-2010, 12:20 AM by Nigel.)
Hey there -- somewhere in the village of Feock, I found myself bemused with the MapMyRun interface, and I've been experimenting with Google Pedometer instead. This works much more easily, since you can set it to follow the paths and lanes automatically, or to follow straight lines when you're running across country. You can use satellite, map or (my preferred) hybrid view.

It was pretty quick to retrace my steps at this stage, when I haven't yet run too far.

Here's the link to Google Pedometer (search location, zoom using the scale on the left and double-click to start):
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Important: make sure you save the route and note/bookmark the (new) url at the end of each session. Otherwise, you'll never get it back ...

Here's a link to my route so far, in run-mapping detail: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3417581.

I've also attached a zoomed-out screen grab of the whole route so far for good luck -- I'm now around 15 miles SW of St Austell, with the pretty beach at Polkerris in my sights for some early spring sunshine (or snow) next weekend.

And now, a Guinness awaits.

18-01-2010, 11:37 AM,
(18-01-2010, 12:16 AM)Nigel Wrote: Hey there -- somewhere in the village of Feock, I found myself bemused with the MapMyRun interface, and I've been experimenting with Google Pedometer instead. This works much more easily, since you can set it to follow the paths and lanes automatically, or to follow straight lines when you're running across country. You can use satellite, map or (my preferred) hybrid view.

It was pretty quick to retrace my steps at this stage, when I haven't yet run too far.

Here's the link to Google Pedometer (search location, zoom using the scale on the left and double-click to start):
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Important: make sure you save the route and note/bookmark the (new) url at the end of each session. Otherwise, you'll never get it back ...

Here's a link to my route so far, in run-mapping detail: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3417581.

I've also attached a zoomed-out screen grab of the whole route so far for good luck -- I'm now around 15 miles SW of St Austell, with the pretty beach at Polkerris in my sights for some early spring sunshine (or snow) next weekend.

And now, a Guinness awaits.
Thanks Nigel -- good spot.

Hmm, well this has to be a personal decision, but there are some nice features about the Google pedometer. I read about this app a while ago but it hadn't then been released, and I'd heard nothing more about it, and sort of forgot about it.

One good thing is that you can just double click on your destination, or general direction, and it will automatically draw out the route. Double-click to start.

Up to you what you use. Probably the best thing about the Google app is that it gets round some of the annoying usability issues of mapmyrun.

The worst thing might be that every time you save a new extended route, the URL changes so you will have to keep updating your signature or link. (The positive point is that it means you can save each new leg as a separate URL)

Tip -- if you want to move to the Google app, do a dry run first. Just create a small route, then save, shut down and reopen to make sure you know the procedure. Took me a couple of gos to work it out.

Use what best suits. It doesn't actually matter that much as we are all on separate adventures.
El Gordo

18-01-2010, 11:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 18-01-2010, 12:33 PM by Sweder.)
Oooh ... VHS v Betamax! Blu-Ray v HD DVD ... whatever. Can't be arsed to re-route; plus, my routes tend to be less obvious and more meandering the longer I go without alcohol - er, I mean, the more interesting nooks and crannies I find. Something's happening with LE JOG; I find myself planning to visit some of these locations in the 3D world.

18-01-2010, 11:47 AM,
(18-01-2010, 11:45 AM)Sweder Wrote: Something's happening with LE JOG; I find myself planning to visit some of these locations in the 3D world.

Me too. Weird.
El Gordo

18-01-2010, 02:43 PM,
I agree with Nigel, I've used gmap pedometer for a number of years to plot and plan runs, but I'll stick with MapMyRun for the time being, it is a lot slower, but I like the ability to search the route you have mapped for pubs etc.
Phew this is hard work !
18-01-2010, 02:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-01-2010, 03:17 PM by Nigel.)
(18-01-2010, 11:47 AM)El Gordo Wrote:
(18-01-2010, 11:45 AM)Sweder Wrote: Something's happening with LE JOG; I find myself planning to visit some of these locations in the 3D world.

Me too. Weird.

Second Life has nothing on Le Jog.

18th January 2010. Fifth day running in a row. I really needed a rest today, but the weather was mild, and that Guinness settled well. And I had my running kit ready, just in case.

4.27 miles from Trewithian into Portloe, ranked by John Betjeman as one of the “least spoiled and most impressive” of Cornwall’s fishing villages. Its snug berth in an inlet between steep cliffs has kept 20th-century intrusions at bay, and the cluster of white cottages behind the harbour look much as they would have done 200 years ago when it was a pilchard-fishing port. Today, three boats still fish for crab and lobster.

Film-makers are regularly seduced by its quaintness and it has doubled up as a Mediterranean (Forever England) and an Irish village (Irish Jam) in its cinematic career, while on television it has starred in both Wild West and The Camomile Lawn.

January to date 66.14 miles
2010 to date 66.14 miles

Le Jog 2010 - A Year of Running

19-01-2010, 09:26 AM,
(18-01-2010, 02:57 PM)Nigel Wrote: January to date 66.14 miles

Nice work Nigel - are you training for any race in particular?
Run. Just run.
21-01-2010, 03:58 PM,
(19-01-2010, 09:26 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(18-01-2010, 02:57 PM)Nigel Wrote: January to date 66.14 miles

Nice work Nigel - are you training for any race in particular?

Thanks, MLCMan. I was hoping to get to Almeria, but sadly it's not going to be possible this time. But as Sweder says, I might go and look at a few of these places instead.
21-01-2010, 04:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-01-2010, 04:24 PM by Nigel.)
Weds 20th Jan -- light slush falling directly from the skies today, and I nearly didn't run all day. Finally sheer frustration drove me out to pound the mean cold streets at 8pm.
4.78 miles around the lanes to Caerhays. Very dark and foggy with nothing to see, but a real kick in my legs from somewhere.

Thurs 21st Jan -- beautiful sunshine and just the tiniest hint of spring, although it was a hard run since a) my legs were knackered after last night's sprint, and b) I chose to head out with two locals who proved painfully quicker than me.

Luckily it was the perfect day to pant 6.15 panic-stricken miles towards one of the classic resorts of the Cornish Riviera -- through Boswinger and St Gorran to reach the beautiful harbour of Mevagissey. I'm going to stick to the caravan and pub now for a couple of days of R&R. Hope to pick it up again on Sunday, just as soon as I've eaten this place out of crab.

January to date: 77.07 miles
2010 to date: 77.07 miles

Le Jog 2010 - A Year of Running

Did you know? Refined soap was invented by William Pears (he of Pears' soap fame) of Mevagissey.

22-01-2010, 12:02 AM,
RE: Padders
(17-01-2010, 03:32 PM)Sweder Wrote: [Image: main.jpg]

It has to be said, Sweder, you bear a resemblance to the Clunes fellow....
El Gordo

22-01-2010, 12:12 AM,
RE: Padders
(22-01-2010, 12:02 AM)El Gordo Wrote: It has to be said, Sweder, you bear a resemblance to the Clunes fellow....

It must be the sneer - Clunes has much more hair. Big Grin
Run. Just run.
22-01-2010, 08:52 PM,
Got two more runs to report since my last posting.

On Tuesday I ran a whopping 15 miles along the A38. I crossed the Cornish boarder into Devon on the Tamar Bridge. This bridge was opened in 1961 and has one lane out of it's 5 lanes designated to pedestians and cyclists such as ourselves Smile.

[Image: tamarbridge_large_1.jpg]

Stopped off at Derriford in Devon for a couple of nights. Stayed at the George Hotel which is situated a few hundred metres away from the Plymouth City Airport runway. A noisy place and one that I wouldn't recommend for it's quality of food.

On Thursday I did a 6.5 mile run with some 4x1 mile reps included (measured by my GPS). The mile rep times varied considerably depending on the road undulation between 6:35 and 7:38!! Finished feeling very happy as I had made it to Yelverton which is on the outskirts of Dartmoor National Park.

Got another long run planned for the morning which should take me towards the centre of Dartmoor, where hopefully I can do some exploring and get out for some walks on the moor.

Off out now for a quiet glass of wine at the Burrator Inn in Dousland before I retire for an early start in the morning.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!