Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LE JOG
23-01-2010, 12:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 23-01-2010, 12:28 AM by Sweder.)
RE: Padders
(22-01-2010, 12:02 AM)El Gordo Wrote:
(17-01-2010, 03:32 PM)Sweder Wrote: [Image: main.jpg]

It has to be said, Sweder, you bear a resemblance to the Clunes fellow....

Yes EG, I feel we share an aura of self-satisfied refinement often found in understated yet vital stalwarts of local English communities.

MLCMan, you should know that Clunes is a notorious wig-wearer and follower of dubious Kellogg-esque hair restoration treatments espoused by such D-list celebs as Michael 'Crocket' Vaughan and Shane 'Tubbs' Warne. My thatch may indeed have seen better days, but it's all Sweder Wink

[Image: 57730.jpg][Image: vaughan_jedward_280_940186a.jpg]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-01-2010, 08:38 AM,
RE: LE JOG
Shane Warne is a baldy....? Fantastic!

Bounce
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-01-2010, 08:39 AM,
Overdue LE JOG update required from me. Will do so later.
El Gordo

25-01-2010, 11:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 25-01-2010, 11:33 AM by Nigel.)
Poleaxed in Pentewan
Friday 22nd January 2010. Passed on the beer after work so I could squeeze in an an easy 4.04 miles at dusk around Mevagissey and on past the marvellous beach at Pentewan, winding down after a long week.

Blissful stuff, until disaster struck -- low speed, downhill, and at minimal effort -- I felt a sudden sharp stab in my heel at 3.5 miles. Stopped and stretched and it seemed OK as I jogged the last half mile, but three days of no running later it's clearly (and disastrously) a new tweak of the achilles injury which laid me up over half of last autumn.

Sadly I'd better rest up here a week or so -- with St Austell almost in sight, it's frustrating, but a stitch in time, and all that ...

January to date: 81.11 miles
2010 to date: 81.11 miles
Injuries: 1
Days since last run: 3
Days since last injury: 3

Lessons learned: better stick to beer on Fridays

LeJog 2010 - a year of running

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

25-01-2010, 11:27 AM,
Sorry to hear that Nigel. Mercifully I've not suffered an Achilles injury (touch wood) but they do seem tough to throw off. I can't recall how you dealt with it before but I presume you've done all the usual things (rethink shoes, consider gait analysis, insoles/orthotics etc)?
El Gordo

25-01-2010, 11:32 AM,
Thanks very much, EG. The way I dealt with it before was not running for 6 weeks, putting on a load of lard, and then coming back very slowly across December before building it up into January.

Looks like I built it up just a bit too much. Hopefully it's not (and won't be) as bad this time.

Fortunately, there are worse places to be holed up for a spot of hibernation. The view from the beach is lovely (just added a pic to the previous post).
25-01-2010, 09:43 PM,
(25-01-2010, 11:32 AM)Nigel Wrote: Thanks very much, EG. The way I dealt with it before was not running for 6 weeks, putting on a load of lard, and then coming back very slowly across December before building it up into January.

Sorry to hear of your injury Nigel. Only suffered with a sore achille twice - once from running and once from banging/bruising it when I was drunk on a stool rail.

It sounds like you are being sensible which is good for the injury. Also maybe RICE, Ibuleve Gel, Stretching and slow running when you start back.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
25-01-2010, 11:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-01-2010, 11:29 PM by El Gordo.)
Thanks again to Nigel for pointing us at the Google pedometer. This led me to doing a web forage, and I've ended up opting for something called mapometer -- CLICK, and transferred my adventure over there. Fact is, it doesn't much matter what we use as long as we're happy with it.

Anyway, where was I? Well, despite my appalling situation, stuck in a freezing barn with just the icy air for a blanket, and with no friends but the scratching rodents, no one here came to my aid. I see. So that's the way you want to play is it, eh? Ha! Just wait till I catch up with you. Some home truths may be traded. Indeed, maybe more....

Boxing

Since my last resting place, I've meandered a further 13 miles or so along the back lanes of rural Cornwall, through the exotically titled Praze-en-Beeble, Cardinham, Carwynnen, and Troon, before joining the B3297 through Four Lanes and Wheat Uny.

I've been moving under the cover of darkness, so have observed little. Ghosts of smugglers are to be found on these moors, so the lack of any further adventures was fine by me.

This week, I have at last been able to add a few miles. I'm now in rapid-pursuit mode, aiming to track down those whom I would once have called friends. Thankfully, they are leaving clues to their whereabouts all over the internet.

On Thursday I landed in St Day, where I was able to lodge, and partake in a glorious traditional music session: Session at St Day Inn.

Then another 13 miles yesterday along the minor lanes, with barely a hamlet in sight. At last, I arrive weary at the glorious village of St Newlyn East. It was here, in 1846, that a terrible storm flooded the mine, accounting for 39 local souls. The remembrance pit was not, sadly, displaying any Cornish wrestling today, so instead, I sought solace at a splendid hostelry, the Pheasant. Here I was delighted to find one of their regular real ale festivals in full swing.

Lord above, how sweet does a foaming pint of beer taste after 13 aching miles on the road?

I fancy that some of us will all be able to answer that question in a far off land, very soon.

For now, I rest my limbs and plan the next stage of my bloody pursuit.

Miles: 46.92

El Gordo

26-01-2010, 12:11 AM,
(25-01-2010, 11:25 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Well, despite my appalling situation, stuck in a freezing barn with just the icy air for a blanket, and with no friends but the scratching rodents, no one here came to my aid. I see. So that's the way you want to play is it, eh? Ha! Just wait till I catch up with you. Some home truths may be traded. Indeed, maybe more....

Sorry EG. Got waylaid in my search for you by that dashed Cornish ale.
Run. Just run.
26-01-2010, 12:13 AM,
RE: Poleaxed in Pentewan
(25-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Nigel Wrote: Blissful stuff, until disaster struck -- low speed, downhill, and at minimal effort -- I felt a sudden sharp stab in my heel at 3.5 miles.

Bad luck Nigel, hope it comes good soon. Sad
Run. Just run.
28-01-2010, 03:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-01-2010, 05:06 PM by Nigel.)
Limping back on down the road - thanks to Proper Job IPA
Thanks to all for your good wishes. Five days off, resting my pulled achilles whilst writing about volcanoes.

The sun was shining today, and I couldn't stay in any longer -- so I thought I'd give it a gentle test. 4.15 miles run, with a couple of walking breaks at Porthpean Golf Club when I thought I might have a twinge coming on. Those seemed to happen mainly on the uphill bits -- maybe that was where the tendon was stretched, or where the effort increased. Anyway, it was a fine excuse for sloth, and I made it round through Tregorrick and into town intact.

Now resting up for an extended stay at the magnificent St Austell Brewery. It seemed the perfect opportunity to quaff a pint or three of the marvellously heady and aptly-named Proper Job IPA (see photo) to celebrate Andy Murray's fine progress to the Australian Open tennis final. Probably safest to ponder here a day or two and see if I get a reaction to resuming training. And there could hardly be a better place to wait...

January to date: 85.26 miles
2010 to date: 85.26 miles

Days since last run: 5
Days since last injury: 5

LeJog 2010 -- A Year of Running

28-01-2010, 05:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-01-2010, 05:47 PM by Nigel.)
Good find with mapometer.com, EG. Helpfully, the site offers the capability to edit an existing route.
I've just transferred my route there, and here's the link:

Le Jog 2010 -- A year of running
28-01-2010, 08:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-01-2010, 08:11 PM by El Gordo.)
I press on, full of confidence after my 13 mile leg. However, I soon come to grief and end up limping into Tresillian, where I seek warmth and comfort in the historic Wheel Inn. Built in the 1400s, the Wheel earns its place in history as the HQ of the parliamentary army during the English Civil War, and it was here that the Royalists surrendered in 1646.

However, the food does not live up to expectations, and leaving my lukewarm pasty only semi-consumed, I throw a low value banknote onto the table, growl loudly, project my most alarming sneer at the quivering barmaid, and stumble through the door into the Cornish countryside. In my anger, I wrench from the wall of the pub a decorative wheel, and hurl it onto the thatched roof. A passing mugsmith cries out: "Caramba! This is something worth commemorating!" He takes from his back pocket a small notebook, and begins to sketch.

A half mile out of the village, I spy a tempting haystack in a field, and make my way towards it. I am sinking gratefully into its warm heart when ouch! Something sharp is sticking into my backside. It's a needle. I take this as a good omen. I carefully push it into my collar for future use, before drifting quickly into a deep sleep.

El Gordo

29-01-2010, 08:11 PM,
I have now travelled 125.5 miles since we started at Land's End.

Tonight I'm in the beautiful thatched village of Dunsford which is situated on the River Teign, and on the eastern edge of the Dartmoor National Park. Heading out now to have dinner and drink in The Royal Oak Inn which is run by a very charming couple called Mark & Judy Harrison.

Need to keep an eye on Mapmyrun as have experienced several problems with trying to edit my map and add comments. Not sure if it is a slow internet connection or whether the lengthening of my route is causing the problem?? Any ideas anyone (I see that most of you have swapped to mapometer).

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
29-01-2010, 08:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-01-2010, 08:25 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(29-01-2010, 08:11 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: I have now travelled 125.5 miles since we started at Land's End.

A magnificent effort Julie! Smile

(29-01-2010, 08:11 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Need to keep an eye on Mapmyrun as have experienced several problems with trying to edit my map and add comments. Not sure if it is a slow internet connection or whether the lengthening of my route is causing the problem?? Any ideas anyone (I see that most of you have swapped to mapometer).

I've stayed with MapMyRun and not had any problems so far (touch wood), and the lengthening of the run doesn't seem to have caused any greater delay (but I'm not adding any notes, either)... see how you go over the next couple of days, perhaps.

And best of luck in Almeria!
Run. Just run.
01-02-2010, 05:26 PM,
My final leg of January sees my mileage reach a very modest 63.2 miles for the month, and way behind the ever-impressive LadyRunner.

When I wake, I'm not certain where I am. Everything is dark and prickly, and smells of bovine urine. Then I recall that I am embedded in a haystack. Scrambling clear, I find that the sun is high in the sky, and my onward journey awaits. The leg isn't as bad as it has been, but I decide to shelve my planned 13.1 miles, and settle instead for 9.5. Avoiding the major A roads isn't always easy, and today my circuitous route takes me through a network of tiny Cornish lanes to the small village of St Wenn.

My plan is to visit the Bishop of Dublin, who has a residence here. However, on arrival, I discover that he died in 1471. My search for a luxury hotel is thwarted. I was looking forward to a night at the most agreeable St Wenn Manor Hotel. However, despite the large 'VACANCIES' sign, the proprietor looks me up and down, plucks a piece of hay from my hair, and announces that they are, after all, full to the gunwales, and that I will have to look elsewhere.

Instead, I make do with Tregolls Farm. Here they seem far more amenable to haystack chic, and usher me in without a word of reproach. I choose to stay in one of their four grockle cottages. All are uninhabited in this most wintry of months. I select the one called Blackberry, in memory of the high-tech, fast track business life I used to lead, before the lure of the countryside, and the thrilling idea of LE JOG, proved too appealing an antidote to mid-life angst, which can lead to rapid, terminal decline unless treated appropriately.

January 2010:
Total miles: 63.2
Total legs: 11
Average leg length: 5.65 miles
Frequency: 1 run every 2.8 days.
El Gordo

04-02-2010, 05:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2010, 06:16 PM by Nigel.)
Not waving or drowning
A couple of gentle plods at the end of the month, taking me out of St Austell, onto Polkerris and then the marvellously scenic ria-side town of Fowey.

Not waving, or drowning ... just running incredibly slowly whilst trying to get the leg back in shape for the end of the month. Falling asleep is the biggest risk at this kind of 11:30 minute mile pace. Or 12. Or 13. Zzzzzz

Friday 29 January - More gingerish testing of leg today.
4.65 miles. A couple of twinges, but nothing too serious. Mood improved by the first hint of sunshine for what seems like an eternity.

A delirious night in the delightful pub in Polkerris. The (exquisitely aptly-named) Rashleigh Inn is one of my very favourite Cornish hideaways. Its perfect smuggler's outlook across the cove is only slightly marred by the view of the St Austell cement factory on the other side of the bay, and certainly those injury fears were soon considerably eased by two pints of lager and a packet of crisps.

Sunday 31 January - Gentle 5.47 mile outing inspired by the legendary exploits of the RC team in Almeria. Back up the hill from Polkerris, and on into Fowey for a quick lap of the town and then the ferry across the ria.

Total January miles = 95.38 miles
Days run = 17
Injuries = 1
2010 to date = 95.38 (153.56 km)

Days since last injury = 9

Attached image: Polkerris Beach, by Adbury

04-02-2010, 05:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2010, 03:12 PM by Nigel.)
February fills the dykes. Or so the saying goes.

1st February: 4.65 miles. From Fowey, through Lansallos and Crumplehorn (!) to the beautiful Cornish harbour at Polperro.

2nd February: Longest run for a while. 6.06 miles on a name-chasing tour through some quirkily-named hamlets this morning -- my route took me through Kiligarth and Porthallow to reach (the other) Barcelona.

4th February: Onwards for 5.60 miles past Trelaske and Portlooe to reach Looe itself, where at last I managed to uncross my legs. After a quick piddle along the cliffs and a smart slash up the hill, I dripped over the bridge for a zip along the coast to Plaidy. Great Tree proved to be the perfect place to plop for the night. (That's more than enough dodgy lavatory jokes to shake a stick at - Ed).

The village of No Man's Land now lies only a mile ahead.

February to date: 16.31 miles
2010 to date: 111.69 miles
Days run: 20
Days since last injury: 13 (yikes!)

Attached images:
Looe, Cornwall -- by MrPhilDog
Polperro harbour, Cornwall -- by nigel@hornchurch (no relation).

Map: LeJog 04feb2010 -- Plymouth almost in sight.
2010 - A Year of Running

05-02-2010, 10:06 AM,
Frankly I'm shocked.
Lager?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-02-2010, 02:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM by Nigel.)
Picked it up early this morning. Heavy rain was forecast, but I was blessed with a blue slot of sky.

Legs were heavy, shoes spent all morning caking in greasy mud, and a cold reduced me to a snot-dribbling lunatic for nearly all of the 5.80 miles covered. In short, it was bliss.

On from Great Tree, through No Man's Land and Widegates to find a suitable dossing place around a mile short of Polbathic.

Plymouth Sound is just in sight now, but in contrast with Julie's endeavours on Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Bridge a week or so ago, I'll be taking the Torpoint Ferry across the ria. That's likely a few days ahead yet (more lager may be implicated this evening).

Rest assured, that although I'm favouring the ferry crossing into Devon, I'll make sure to run around the deck to make up the mileage.

February to date: 22.11 miles
February days run: 4

2010 to date: 117.49 miles
2010 days run: 21
Days since last injury: 14 (phew!)

Attached images:
Winter scene with tree near Polbathic by scaglifr
Polbathic moon by scaglifr

Map: Approaches to Plymouth - LeJog 05feb2010
LeJog 2010 - A Year of Running