Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010, January: the road to Molly Malone's
10-02-2010, 12:35 PM,
RE: 2010, January: the road to Molly Malone's
(08-02-2010, 09:48 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Glaconman used to be (still is?) a very keen tennis player, which may well have helped his fabulous improvement over the last year or two.

Well, I used to try hard at tennis but never really got comfortable with a tennis racket in my hand. I suspect a few coaching sessions would have helped. I did join a club last year but only played a few times. Think I much prefer squash. But again, not played for a couple of years. I'm planning to get into abit of canoing/kyaking when my boy is abit older. Think this will be good for 'core' and general upper body. MLCM will attest to this no doubt.
10-02-2010, 11:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2010, 11:28 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: 2010, January: the road to Molly Malone's
(10-02-2010, 12:35 PM)glaconman Wrote: I'm planning to get into abit of canoing/kyaking when my boy is abit older. Think this will be good for 'core' and general upper body. MLCM will attest to this no doubt.

Definitely! Kayaking is a great balancing act for running, as it strengthens both core and upper body.

And it's huge fun, too. Smile
Run. Just run.
12-02-2010, 06:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2010, 06:24 PM by Sweder.)
Spin When You're Winning
I'm a believer.

Hit my first spin session on Thursday night - wow! I've never known 60 minutes to fly by so fast. Dark room, fast music, wild lazers and buckets of sweat from 19 spinners under the Boadicaen command of the disarmingly lovely Bridgette. I was amazed at how well I did, (almost) keeping up with the maniacal 'Bridge' as she attempted to melt her state-of-the-art spin bike through sheer brutal leg-power.

The highlight was without doubt the introduction (after around 45 minutes of increased-tempo thrashing interspersed with high-resistance hill-climbing) of Zorba The Greek, a piece of music best known for its steadily increasing tempo, revived in recent times as the soundtrack to the climax of Guy Ritchie's ultra-violent Cockney Gangsterfest, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

Groans filled the room as the penny dropped, and some of the regulars exchanged shiny-faced knowing glances. With resistance set at maximum (or as much as we could bear) we were invited to stand and ride in time with the music. Inevitably Zorba worked his merciless magic; one by one we dropped into our saddles, legs thrashing madly, sweat flying as we fought like demons to keep pace with the music. As I lay slumped over the handlebars, sucking air for all I was worth as my legs continued to absent-mindedly turn the pedals at an ever-decreasing rate, I was minded to think on Zorba's warning to his employer.
"Man is a brute. If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out."
I certainly have a new-found respect for 'Bridge'.

That said, it was ... wonderful. Low-impact, endorphin-releasing and terrific fun. Despite the pain - standing up and pedalling hard is as un-natural a feeling as I've encountered in recent times - by the end I was grinning like a fool, hungry for more. Mmmm ... feel the burn! There may be something to this S&M lark you know.

I'll be back.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2010 - We're all in this together El Gordo 17 16,134 27-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  2010, April El Gordo 0 2,161 05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2010, February -> The clifftop path El Gordo 4 4,537 27-02-2010, 02:32 PM
  2007 - January El Gordo 33 18,984 09-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  2006 - January El Gordo 51 28,096 05-02-2006, 02:15 PM