Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumpin' Januaries, Batman!
03-01-2010, 03:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2010, 12:07 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Jumpin' Januaries, Batman!
Resolution Run 9km Race Report

My first run, let alone race, for 2010 turned out to be a cracker. As I was saying in the December diaries, this race was to be something of a test bed for my aspirations for 2010. I went into it unsure of what to expect but set my benchmarks at sub 54 minutes for the 9kms and every kilometre under six minutes. And as long as I finished, it was going to be a PB, as this is the first time I've run a 9km event. Why 9km? I doubt even the organisers know. There seemed no logical or sensible reason for it. Anyhow, 9km it was.

The weather was perfect, I mean really perfect (are there degrees of perfection? I think not, but never mind. Writer's license. Or maybe just ignorance, but I'm sticking with it). 16 degrees, no wind, no sun, just glorious.

Several hundred runners and walkers turned up for the event which consisted of two laps of a 4.5km course around Torrens Lake, which is actually a river. Don't ask - I don't know why they call it a lake when it patently isn't. Never mind, it was a fast, flat course and very picturesque to boot.

Mrs MLCM joined me again today, but decided on a walk-only 9km as she has a bit of a back strain. So as the air horn blared, we said bye bye and headed off at our respective pace. As the name of the race "Resolution Run" implied, this race was organised laregly for people who have decided to get fit in 2010. Consequently I assumed it would be full of novice runners. Well maybe some of them were, but as we started it was clearly going to be a fast and furious race. I eased back to the rear of the pack but still flew through the first km in 5:20, well inside my expected pace, and totally ignoring my "go real easy in the first km" advice to self.

I slowed down a bit - or so I thought. Kilometres 2 and 3 also went by in 5:20 but by now i was feeling comfortable and so decided to stick with it. Or so I thought again: km number 4 was my slowest of all at 5:48. Duh.

Anyway, after that it got a little tough but I felt strong and pushed on and was delighted to finish in a tad under 49 minutes... a good 5 minutes faster than hoped.

As I felt good and Mrs MLCM was still out there on the course somewhere on her second lap, I gulped a bottle of water and ran on for another 1.6km until I caught her and then walked to the finish with her. So a really excellent start to the year with 10.6km banked, a new PB, and run at a pace that augers well for perhaps a bunch of other PBs throughout the year if all goes well from here. And no twinges or niggles or even a cramp, so I'm very happy with the way 2010 has started. Smile

LE JOG
So I've started a day or two later than others, but I'm on my way. As I do have strong ties to Cornwall (ancestral home for many generations as far back as we can trace), I began by thinking I would run through East Cornwall and investigate the five or so parishes centred around Landulph that my paternal family came from. Then i got to thinking that if I did that, then I should wander on over to my father and grandfather's home town of Gosport, and then complete the traverse of southern England by going as far as Harwich, which is where my parents lived when they decided to emigrate to Australia (following the '58 floods). Of course, if I was going to do that, I'd also have to call in and visit friends in Theale and Lewes and Brighton, and run some of their favourite routes... and, well, I fairly quickly realised I was going to need two years to get to John O'Groats if I was going to detour via everything I wanted to see and do.

So. Instead, I'm going to head basically north from Land's End and have planned only two major diversions so far: ascents of Snowdon and Ben Nevis. We'll see what else happens along the way. However, as a consolation to my Cornish roots, I have headed south-east from Land's End, going to Penzance via the coast road, so at least I get a bit of virtual scenery. And first point of (mild) interest on the run was passing through the town of Trethewey, which seems to be a quaint little place with not much in it. The reason it attracted my attention was because I used to work with a John Trethewy, which is the only other time I've ever come across the name. Hardly worth a diversion I guess, but a pretty place.

What fun, eh?

See you on the road (virtually).

MLCM's LE JOG map
Run. Just run.
03-01-2010, 08:28 AM,
RE: Jumpin' Januaries, Batman!
Wow, belter of a run there MLCMan. 5.20 km pace is pretty darned impressive; sounded like a great way to start the year.
I too have joined LE JOG, though I confess to being as confused over the interface as I was when I first read EG's introduction. Ah well. I don't suppose our paths will cross too much as I'm off on a bit of a meander, but I look forward to the notes from a not-so-small island.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-01-2010, 10:50 AM,
Great start to the year MLCM. Keep it going. In fact let us know what your plans are for the year when you've worked them out.
03-01-2010, 12:05 PM,
Fab effort in the race. You look definitely on course for a sub-2 half. Hope I can keep up with you.

Fascinating detail about your family's roots. It's not something I recall you talking about before. So you come from Cornish stock? That explains a lot...

I suggested aiming to complete the journey by the end of the year, but hey, there is really no hurry. Do drop in if you're passing!
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
04-01-2010, 09:32 AM,
Fantastic start to the year MLCM. Looking forward to hearing more!
04-01-2010, 09:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2010, 09:27 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Thanks guys ... and another good run to report today. Early morning hill climb day, and I took 19yo MLCM Jr out to meet my old friend Torture Hill. This brutal 3.2km ever-steepening nasty hill climb has stared me down many a day and I've always thought it a true test of running fitness. Of course MLCM Jr gets to the top well ahead of me and is wondering if that's all there is... the bliss of youthful natural fitness (and a few seasons of soccer). Up in 26 mins, back in 19. Smile

LE JOG: Now on the outskirts of Penzance having skirted the southern coastal road form Land's End (very pretty). About to run along the Penzance esplanade and then head north to St.Ives... http://tiny.cc/nJdwr
Run. Just run.
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM,
(04-01-2010, 09:26 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: About to run along the Penzance esplanade and then head north to St.Ives... http://tiny.cc/nJdwr

I shouldn't bother. To quote Marvin:
'I've seen it - it's rubbish'

05-01-2010, 12:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010, 12:17 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(04-01-2010, 10:04 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(04-01-2010, 09:26 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: About to run along the Penzance esplanade and then head north to St.Ives... http://tiny.cc/nJdwr

I shouldn't bother. To quote Marvin:
'I've seen it - it's rubbish'

Maybe, but I have an alcohol-related reason for visiting the ol' Snives. Wink
Run. Just run.
05-01-2010, 08:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010, 08:48 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Aussie summer.
Welcome to mid-summer. Seven day forecast reads:

Wednesday Dry. Sunny. Min 15 Max 33
UV Alert: Extreme
Fire Danger: Very High (Mount Lofty Ranges Fire Ban District)

Thursday Dry. Sunny. Min 18 Max 36
Friday Dry. Sunny. Min 23 Max 39
Saturday Dry. Sunny. Min 24 Max 41
Sunday Dry. Sunny. Min 23 Max 41
Monday Dry. High cloud increasing. Min 26 Max 41
Tuesday Possible shower. Min 26 Max 34

(Very) early morning runs only, I think.
Run. Just run.
05-01-2010, 08:51 AM,
Crikey. Minus 5 Celcius here this morning: severe frost, much of the nation under snow.

What's the outlook at the SCG tomorrow? Looks like your boys will have to bowl like demons to prevent Pakistan levelling the series. I've managed to catch the first session each day. Things are rather more finely poised at Newlands where England look like coming up 40 short on first innings. Batting last in cape Town is never much fun so could be heading to Jo'Burg all square too. Great contest this one. Morkel is bowling fireballs this morning - 2 wickets in his first over.

05-01-2010, 09:31 AM,
(05-01-2010, 08:51 AM)Sweder Wrote: What's the outlook at the SCG tomorrow?

Showers and thunderstorms but I doubt it'll be enough to worry a draw. Pakistan should win this won and, as you say, level the series. Test cricket is once again proving very, very interesting. Meanwhile, T20 cricket on the other hand is showing itself to be entertaining only in a sort of sporting soap opera kind of way. Undecided
Run. Just run.
05-01-2010, 11:13 AM,
Congratulations, MLCM. We both are in a similar level. I think that we could manage a sub 2 hour half this year. It´s a pity that you can´t come to Almería to do it together.

Best of luck

Antonio

05-01-2010, 11:32 AM,
(05-01-2010, 11:13 AM)anlu247 Wrote: It´s a pity that you can´t come to Almería to do it together.
Antonio

Yeah, what a party pooper. You'd think he'd be able to pop over for just a single weekend once a year.
El Gordo

05-01-2010, 03:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010, 03:40 PM by Sweder.)
(05-01-2010, 09:31 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(05-01-2010, 08:51 AM)Sweder Wrote: What's the outlook at the SCG tomorrow?

Showers and thunderstorms but I doubt it'll be enough to worry a draw. Pakistan should win this won and, as you say, level the series. Test cricket is once again proving very, very interesting. Meanwhile, T20 cricket on the other hand is showing itself to be entertaining only in a sort of sporting soap opera kind of way. Undecided

My predictions for Newlands were underpinned by a superb batting display from Graeme Smith - currently 150 NO alongside one Jacques Kallis who appears to be thoroughly enjoying himself. England's bowlers bowling wet lettace at the big fella in 100 degree heat this afternoon. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Not so much as a whisper of bad weather either so looks like a thumping win for the Proteas, unless England can fend off Morkel and Stein for a day and a half on a crumbling wicket.

Rofl

06-01-2010, 09:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 09:12 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Awoke to the 6 a.m. news this morning with the lead story being the big freeze in Europe. We were suffering here too in a chilly 17C but in a true spirit of camaraderie I donned layers and headed out into the maelstrom for an easy 5km. Despite the horrendously mild conditions I ticked off the 5km in 28:55, which I'm well pleased with - any easy 5km under 30 minutes is a good sign for me, so this bout of training is going well.

Going well also is the Australian cricket team who snatched a stunning win from the jaws of defeat against Pakistan yesterday. Surely one of the great test matches!

LE JOG: Have just run through Penzance, where the "Welcome RC Runners" flags have all been pulled down and the last drinks stations tidied away. A couple of people looked at me pityingly and tapped their watches with a shake of the head, but I don't care. This is a grand tour, not a race and I'm happy to take my time.

I've also broken the law for the first time, thumbing my nose at the road system to run along the Penzance railway tracks, with its fine view and pleasing gradient (or lack of). Turning north towards John O'Groats soon! See my LE JOG progress here.
Run. Just run.
06-01-2010, 09:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 09:15 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(06-01-2010, 09:10 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: I've also broken the law for the first time, thumbing my nose at the road system to run along the railway tracks, with its fine view and pleasing gradient (or lack of). Turning north towards John O'Groats soon! See my LE JOG progress here.

I think railway tracks are allowed, as should be established paths identifiable on the map.
El Gordo

06-01-2010, 09:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(06-01-2010, 09:12 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I think railway tracks are allowed, as should be established paths identifiable on the map.

Really? It's a $5000 fine here for walking (or running) along railway lines!
Run. Just run.
06-01-2010, 09:41 PM,
(06-01-2010, 09:16 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(06-01-2010, 09:12 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I think railway tracks are allowed, as should be established paths identifiable on the map.

Shhhh....! I'm trying to protect you from disqualification, you fool.... Confused
El Gordo

07-01-2010, 07:03 AM,
(06-01-2010, 09:41 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(06-01-2010, 09:16 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:

Shhhh....! I'm trying to protect you from disqualification, you fool.... Confused

Erm, it's not just my running that's slow ... Undecided
Run. Just run.
07-01-2010, 08:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2010, 08:06 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Resolution Run pics!
Usually in races I seem to fail to grab the attention of the official race photographer, but on this occasion I got snapped - for what it's worth here are the pics. Oh and the official result was that I finished 68th out of 240 finishers... probably my best race result yet! Shy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jumpin' Januaries! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 23 9,914 01-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Jumpin' Januarys ... it's 2013 already! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 27 14,580 30-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Jumpin' Januaries, Batman Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 32 14,276 07-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man