Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let It Snow..
06-01-2010, 11:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
Let It Snow..
11am, and still snowing hard here in sunny Seaford. It's times like these that makes me glad I work from home a lot, err....or maybe it's not, no excuse for a crafty day off. Sad

Seems like the country has ground to a halt and blitz-like rationing imminent; sent daughter round the shops for some bread this morning, and she was only allowed one loaf.

Just viewed Andy's pic on 'Twidder'. Not seen 10 inches since some John Holmes cinefilm in the late 70's. Rolleyes

Keep safe wherever you are. This is certainly going to scupper my plans to see Avatar tonight. Confused
06-01-2010, 11:32 AM,
RE: Let It Snow..
....and said daughter's response for asking her to visit shop?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

06-01-2010, 05:30 PM,
You hadn't just been for a run, had you? I wonder if your daughter might be relying on the 'truth' defence, an absolute defence against a charge of defamation
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

06-01-2010, 10:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 10:21 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
(06-01-2010, 05:30 PM)tomroper Wrote: You hadn't just been for a run, had you? I wonder if your daughter might be relying on the 'truth' defence, an absolute defence against a charge of defamation

Well I would reply to you Tom, if only I had a fecking clue what you were on aboot?

Your second sentence obviously makes perfect sense but the first?? Blush
06-01-2010, 10:32 PM,
To expound, I wondered if your daughter's snow-art installation thingy was caused because you had come back from a run smelling of honest manly sweat. Therefore her statement, 'Daddy smells', was a response to that and she could claim the truth defence, if you were to sue for defamation.
My family send me straight to the shower when I come in from a run...but I'm sure you return smelling of roses, violets and new born babies.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

06-01-2010, 10:45 PM,
(06-01-2010, 10:32 PM)tomroper Wrote: To expound, I wondered if your daughter's snow-art installation thingy was caused because you had come back from a run smelling of honest manly sweat. Therefore her statement, 'Daddy smells', was a response to that and she could claim the truth defence, if you were to sue for defamation.
My family send me straight to the shower when I come in from a run...but I'm sure you return smelling of roses, violets and new born babies.

Don't worry Tom, I knew exactly what you meant.

First time.

Cool
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-01-2010, 10:29 AM,
I feel SP minor could happily rely on said defence, post-run man-sweat or no Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-01-2010, 03:15 PM,
The subject line was too good to pass on this one - snowing in England! And a lot of it too. Now you're experiencing a little of what we get all winter. Although not as cold as here, it's still a real pain. Shoveling gets rather tiresome (if you even have shovels?). And you wouldn't have winter tires that make driving a lot easier. Not a good scene for England. I saw pictures of Reading on the news last night and thought of you EG.

Winter running in the snow...enjoy the novelty but be careful.

Suzie
08-01-2010, 04:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2010, 04:53 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
I believe it's recently been around -22 at night where you are Suzie, and am reminded of the comment you made here once about your water bottle freezing whilst out running.

We get a tenth of what you have and yet the country falls apart. Smow
08-01-2010, 05:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2010, 05:04 PM by Sweder.)
I think we're a little hard on ourselves sometimes. Canada is well set for snow; most regions get heaps every year. We go years without snow then wallop! we're up to our smalls in freezing ice drifts.

It's just us southern jessies that struggle Wink

08-01-2010, 08:42 PM,
You're right Sweder - don't be too hard on yourselves. We are equiped and yet still complain about it. You won't have the plows, sanders, etc. that we have and you really shouldn't have them sitting around for a once-in-a-decade snowfall. We on the other hand know its coming every year and yet still can't seem to have enough equipment on the road. Or is it just human nature to always complain?

A Chinook just rolled in this morning and our temperature went from a minus -25 yesterday morning to a +7 right now. Yea!

Suzie
08-01-2010, 09:55 PM,
Wow, the climatic extremes are amazing: yesterday here it was 40C, today we're headed for 41 and then 43 the next two days. This morning's 8km run was done at 6:30 in 29 degrees (the overnight low)..!
Run. Just run.
09-01-2010, 12:49 AM,
(08-01-2010, 09:55 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Wow, the climatic extremes are amazing: yesterday here it was 40C, today we're headed for 41 and then 43 the next two days. This morning's 8km run was done at 6:30 in 29 degrees (the overnight low)..!

Any more of this, and you're banned....

We are minus 5, with a crocked central heating boiler.

Brrrrr.

Actually, if I'm honest, I think I prefer severe cold to severe heat. Not quite certain what 40 C is, but sounds about what I endured during my Indian travels all those years ago. Extreme heat feels more alien to us than extreme cold, I think.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-01-2010, 03:18 PM,
We're taking another pasting down here this afternoon; soul-chilling winds bringing fresh flurries of snow that threaten to get heavier over night. I'm worried about tomorrow's plod; I had 12 miles through the hiills lined up. That's doubtful at best; might have to settle for a Wire-and-back eight miler.

An interesting after-effect of my hi-steppin' deep snow run on Thursday; muscles in my legs and backside are tight as a drum. Obviously a result of the unusual action needed to straddle deep snow drifts. Perhaps this highlights the potential benefits of regular sessions on one of those infernal step machines?

09-01-2010, 08:53 PM,
(09-01-2010, 03:18 PM)Sweder Wrote: An interesting after-effect of my hi-steppin' deep snow run on Thursday; muscles in my legs and backside are tight as a drum. Obviously a result of the unusual action needed to straddle deep snow drifts. Perhaps this highlights the potential benefits of regular sessions on one of those infernal step machines?

Sounds to me Sweder, like a good reason to avoid those infernal step machines... and running in snow for that matter. Rolleyes

And another 12 miler, Sweder? I really do feel a PB is in the offing for you at Almeria, brother. At least an Almeria PB: you're working darned hard for it. Shy
Run. Just run.
10-01-2010, 07:30 AM,
The hard work is relative to the task at hand. Quite a bit of sloth to whittle from these bones.
Re: snow running/ step machines the point is I worked muscles that clearly don't trouble themselves on regular runs. Not such a bad thing; if I can cajole these lazy fibres off the couch it might help my hammy in the long run.

12 miles looks highly unikely this morning. Snow is falling and a vicious north wind rageing as the sun struggles manfully to climb above the Lewes cliff. Looks like an ugly 8 miler to me Sad