Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XIII Medio maratón de Almería 31st January 2010
09-02-2010, 03:08 PM,
XIII Medio maratón de Almería 31st January 2010
Saturday 30th January 2010

This year the day before the half marathon was a little different since the expo was at another hotel and there was no pasta meal offered by the organisation, which I find great since it was awful to have to queue for a long time in order to help yourself from a buffet at the hotel restaurant. It was much better when the meal was at the VIP area in the Mediterranean stadium although we also had to queue.

I went with Santi to the Tryp hotel where we met Sweder, Simon, Ladyrunner, Tracey and Elgordo at 7 pm. So, Tracey was the new participant this year. Unfortunately, Marion couldn´t come because of her boyfriend´s sudden illness. I hope he is already better.

We walked to the Vincci hotel to pick up our race numbers. There, I greeted a few other runners such as Diego, Adolfo, etc. Afterwards, we took the van and got to the Italian restaurant La Tagiatella where we had a delicious dinner and had a good time all together talking about our aims for the half next day, etc. WWW.tagliatella.com

Sunday 31st January 2010

It was a wonderful sunny morning. In the stadium, I met the RC team and we did some stretching. Elgordo still noticed some discomfort in his calf so he decided to do a part of the half so as not to get more injured.

When we were going to the start line, we noticed that people were going back towards the stadium, so we turned back and went along the stadium but under it to get outside to the start line. It is the first time it had happened. This year, we were expecting to have to stop after a false start but it didn´t happen. So, we went along the avenue to turn left, which was new, and continued along a new avenue with new blocks of flats to turn back and go along camino de la Goleta as in previous years. I really felt fine in the first kilometres at a 5´ 30´´ pace the kilometre. In the middle of La Rambla I saw Cristina, María and Lázaro, teachers from Galileo secondary school, cheering. Later I saw Encarna at the top of La Rambla. I thought that if I could do 11 kms under one hour, I could manage the sub 2 hour half. However, I did 10 kms in 58 minutes, so I realised it was not possible, so I took it easy enjoying the atmosphere, the views, the sunshine, taking photos …… Besides, my legs started to feel stiff. I greeted Simon, Julie, Sweder, Manolo, Alberto, AntonioL , Elgordo when I saw them on the other side of the road. On the second lap along avenida del Mediterráneo I heard “Antonio, Antonio, Antonio ….”. I had a look and it came from Carmen, my wife, and some friends : Encarna, Filo, Luz, etc. After such cheer, I went on feeling that 4 or 5 kilometres more was nothing. On my way to the stadium, I met a man from Jaén called Agustín who told me he had had to go to the toilet in a bar. He said that he has a flat in Roquetas de Mar and he is looking forward to getting retired to be able to spend there many months. In the last kilometre I felt stronger and pushed a little passing a few runners and at the stadium I took some photos while running so some people told me to take a picture of them at the stands, which I did. I managed to do 2 hours seventeen minutes, which is not a PB but I don´t mind. One minute more than last year. After going through the finish, I saw a long queue. There, I met Manolo who I had seen i before but I hadn´t been able to keep his pace. We had to wait for a long time although they gave out bottles of lemonade to share while we were waiting. Finally, we arrived at the stall where we were given a bottle of lemonade, water, a banana, a T-shirt after leaving our chips.

Then, when I was going to pick up my sweatshirt, I met Manolo, a colleague from Galileo school. He had done his first half marathon in 1 hour 42 minutes. He was very glad. I also met Jose, who had got injured and I saw Encarna, Pepe, Javi as well.

In the afternoon, we met to take the official post race photo with the half marathon T-shirt at the bottom of La Rambla and walked to the restaurant where we had a delicious meal with all the drinks we wanted until the dessert. WWW.plazadecanas.com

We had “salmorejo”, salad, “patatas a lo pobre” with egg, some sort of small pizzas and veal in several slices as the main dish. For dessert, assorted small cakes. We drank water, beer and wine from Laujar de Andarax which tasted very good. We also had coffee or tea.

After that, we all went to the new Molly Malone where we had a drink.

Monday 1st February 2010.

Another sunny lovely day. I went to the hotel Tryp Indalo at 3:15 pm where I met the British armada. They were tired after many hours drinking in pubs the previous day, especially Elgordo and Sweder. The former preferred remaining at the hotel , so we took the van and went along a road by the sea to San José in Cabo de Gata-Níjar natural park. We took a path and got to Mónsul beach where there were a few caravans. This beach has been used for a scene of “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade”. We decided to go for a run from there to another hidden beach along a sandy track, Barronal beach. After taking some photos, Simon went up a dune, so we followed him and decided to climb a hill to see the view from there. It was tough, especially going down. From there, we went back toward Mónsul and decided to go up the path as far as La Vela Blanca. Simon and Sweder went ahead while Julie, Tracey and me at a slower pace. It is a bit steep but it is worth going since the views are great. From there you can see Cabo de Gata cliffs and lighthouse. Then, we went down to the beach and the van where we did some stretching and drove back to the hotel.

At nine pm we met outside Molly Malone to go to “El Quinto Toro” where Manolo, Cristina and two of her friends were waiting for us. We took a table and had some Rioja, beer, water and “raciones” of ham, cheese, pork fried with garlic, salad, anchovies, etc.

Another intense weekend is gone. I have really enjoyed it and found that the relationship that started as something virtual unlikely to become real turned real quite soon making it possible to meet people somewhere in the south of Spain and. surprisingly, in spite of direct flights to Almería, it is consolidating and meeting new friends every year although not forgetting those who have come once or twice, especially Chris “Moyleman” who would have loved to be with us here.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

11-02-2010, 02:14 PM,
RE: XIII Medio maratón de Almería 31st January 2010
(09-02-2010, 03:08 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Another intense weekend is gone. I have really enjoyed it and found that the relationship that started as something virtual unlikely to become real turned real quite soon making it possible to meet people somewhere in the south of Spain and. surprisingly, in spite of direct flights to Almería, it is consolidating and meeting new friends every year although not forgetting those who have come once or twice, especially Chris “Moyleman” who would have loved to be with us here.

Moyleman would have loved to have been with us on the Cabo do Gata run. Hopefully next year we can get Cam along (Chris' sister) to enjoy the whole experience.
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
11-02-2010, 03:45 PM,
Good write-up Antonio. You ran a very solid race. And you survived the weekend! That's the tough part, not the running.

The photos looked really impressive; especially the run you did on Monday.

See you in a couple of months in Ireland!

Suzie
11-02-2010, 09:09 PM,
(11-02-2010, 03:45 PM)suzieq Wrote: Good write-up Antonio. You ran a very solid race. And you survived the weekend! That's the tough part, not the running.

The photos looked really impressive; especially the run you did on Monday.

See you in a couple of months in Ireland!

Suzie

Julie, I´d love to meet Chris´ sister. It would be great if she could come next year as well.

Gracias, Suzie. I´m looking forward to meeting you too in Ireland.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

11-02-2010, 11:41 PM,
I went running tonight with Cam, Moyleman's sister and she said that she wants to come to Almeria with us next year - she said that Chris loved the trip.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
12-02-2010, 07:32 PM,
(11-02-2010, 11:41 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: I went running tonight with Cam, Moyleman's sister and she said that she wants to come to Almeria with us next year - she said that Chris loved the trip.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome Cam. It would be great if Tina could also come.

Saludos desde Almería

12-02-2010, 09:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-02-2010, 12:27 PM by Sweder.)
Terrific report Antonio, especially the part about the virtual becoming actual. Yes, Chris spoke often about his visit to Almeria and he would have loved Cabo de Gata. It would be great to get 'Moylebird' over with us next year. Tina's not really into running but you never know; she might just fancy a mad night or two with you wild Andalucians Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-02-2010, 01:52 PM,
(12-02-2010, 09:05 PM)Sweder Wrote: Terrific report Antonio, especially the part about the virtual becoming actual. Yes, Chris spoke often about his visit to Almeria and he would have loved Cabo de Gata. It would be great to get 'Moylebird' over with us next year. Tina's not really into running but you never know; she might just fancy a mad night or two with you wild Andalucians Wink

Gracias, S. That would be fantastic. I hope you can persuade Tina to come as well.

15-02-2010, 01:24 PM,
(12-02-2010, 09:05 PM)Sweder Wrote: It would be great to get 'Moylebird' over with us next year. Tina's not really into running but you never know;

Sounds like an ideal candidate then.
29-03-2010, 05:51 PM,
Hey Antonio, how's the training going? Are you fit?
I'm looking forward to running in Connemara with you!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

31-03-2010, 06:54 PM,
(29-03-2010, 05:51 PM)Sweder Wrote: Hey Antonio, how's the training going? Are you fit?
I'm looking forward to running in Connemara with you!

Sorry I haven´t answered before but I´ve been a few days away with no access to the internet. Do you mean that you´re going to do the ultra as well.S.? That would be wonderful.

I´m a bit fitter than at Almería half but not as fit as I should be for an ultra. Anyway, I´ll try to do the whole course.

Saludos desde Almeria

Antonio

01-04-2010, 10:26 PM,
Go Antonio! This is an amazing challenge you're taking on. But I'm sure you can do it.
02-04-2010, 05:07 PM,
Good luck Antonio for the Ultra next weekend and I'm sorry that I can't join you and Sweder.

It is good that you have some company for the event - you and Sweder will be able to motivate each other to keep going until the end.

It sounds like you have got some good km's in your legs in March which should boost your confidence.

Julie Smile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
02-04-2010, 09:43 PM,
Muchas gracias, Dan and Julie. I´ll try to do the ultra with Sweder although it is going to be tough for me.

Best of luck at Brighton marathon!

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XXII Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 5 1,268 11-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XXI Medio maratón ciudad de Almería 4th February 2018 Antonio247 2 942 13-03-2018, 09:48 PM
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 5th February 2017 Antonio247 5 2,444 23-02-2017, 09:15 PM
  XIX Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 21 10,520 28-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014 Antonio247 5 3,977 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
  XVI Medio maratón de Almería 27th January 2013 Antonio247 6 5,207 18-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  XIV Medio maratón de Almería and other races Antonio247 15 12,576 01-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  VI Subida a los Baños de Sierra Alhamilla 24 December 2010 Antonio247 2 3,138 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
  Connemarathon 11 April 2010 Antonio247 8 7,287 12-05-2010, 01:46 PM
  II San Silvestre Almería. 27th December 2009 Antonio247 6 5,959 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM