Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feb
09-02-2010, 04:16 PM,
Feb
Sunday 31st Jan The Pennine Bridleway Relay
--------------------------------------------
[Leg 5 - Whitworth to Rawtenstall - 9.5 miles]
This route is dominated by a 2.5 mile climb that takes you up to the top of the Pennines then quickly down again. The day was freezing cold but mostly clear. And with plenty of ice on the ground, potentially hazardous as one poor bloke found out when he broke his ankle not long after setting off.

The thing about these long relays is the combined effort that they demand. When you wake up in the morning the first thing that comes into your mind is the fact that the first two runners from your team have just set-off; and they got up before dawn to be there. And if you're running the final leg you have the whole of the morning to contemplate on the effort that's continually going on in order to get the baton to you as fast as possible.

So you better get there on time; be ready to run when they come hurtling around the corner; have the right kit to pass the inspection; and run within a reasonable margin of your best.

So when you start to feel dizzy after only 6 miles and wonder where to put your feet or where you are or why other teams are whizzing past you, you know things have gone seriously wrong. Whatever the reason (not enough fuel and not enough clothing are the likely candidates) it was careless, to say the least.

And I felt pretty low when I did finally make it to the finish. I guess life is like this. As the FRA forums pronounce: Fell running, we take the ups with the downs.

None of GMan thankfully:

PBR Event

Sunday 7th Feb - Dewsbury 10k
-----------------------------

Ten kilometers out and back from the centre of Dewsbury on a cold, grey day. Well, it's what you make it I guess and there were some round edges to this race. Meeting up with friends before and after the race; seeing fellow club members run well; the prospect of my first effort at this distance; and some pub action to round-off the morning.

But these events are inevitably dominated by the stats. Mrs G was gunning for under the hour whilst I was hoping for anything under 40. She came in at 55:55 and I managed 36:38. So from a performance point-of-view it was a good day. But I wasn't really looking forward to this distance and it didn't fail to disappoint. I found myself running into a big empty space for much of the second half of the race which was abit grim. When somebidy did come onto my shoulder and ease past it was a welcome diversion to try and stay with them. At least I've done one now and know how 'orrible they are. Although, let's face it, they're all 'orrible.

GMAN Dewsbury

Some low-key running in the hills next I think. No numbers or times, just for the joy of it.
09-02-2010, 06:32 PM,
RE: Feb
36:38 for a 10k puts you in another arena altogether GMan.
Terrific effort.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

09-02-2010, 07:58 PM,
Phew, it's almost a relief to hear you can have a bad run from time to time. You are human after all!

Another great run from both of you a week later. I bet you didn't do negative splits in the 10K? It's just I reckon running away from Dewsbury must feel much more comfortable than running into it. Not a very nice town in my experience.

Good to see the missus keeping up the excellent progress.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-02-2010, 09:02 PM,
(09-02-2010, 04:16 PM)glaconman Wrote: She came in at 55:55 and I managed 36:38.

Bloody hell mate. If that's the only 10K you ever run, you should be happy with that as a once-off PB.
09-02-2010, 10:12 PM,
36:38?

That's like, a blur. You're one of those blurry people. You're seriously fast.

Impressive, g'man.
Run. Just run.
10-02-2010, 10:14 AM,
Cheers lads. That's a bl**dy good idea Dan.

The advantage of road races is at least there's less chance of passing-out or falling over. Bit dull though. I suppose the middle-ground is cross country. Which would be odd. Like being back at school.
14-02-2010, 11:02 PM,
(10-02-2010, 10:14 AM)glaconman Wrote: The advantage of road races is at least there's less chance of passing-out or falling over. Bit dull though. I suppose the middle-ground is cross country. Which would be odd. Like being back at school.

Glaconman, were you good at cross country at school? You've clearly worked on speed over the last few months and it's amazing what you've achieved in such as short space of time.

Any long distance events in the pipeline?

Nice photo of fell legend Ian Holmes a while back.
15-02-2010, 01:38 PM,
BB, yes, I was pretty useful. By 15 I was smoking, drinking and had lost interested. Shame really.

I enjoyed the 14 mile off-road event I took part in last month. It was low key and there wasn't the same pressure to decent quickly as occurs in shorter fell races with large numbers. With glass ankles I can't see myself doing many fell races.

Yes, from Keighley he often trains with us; although runs for Bingley.
22-02-2010, 01:47 PM,
Yorkshire & Humberside Cross Country Championships Feb 20th 2010 - Thornes Park Wakefield approx 10.5k

Trapped on a conveyor belt of mud and human suffering. Shall we never be set-free?
22-02-2010, 01:49 PM,
crossCountry01

crossCountry02