Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March - Maddening Hares and all
12-03-2010, 03:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2010, 03:19 PM by stillwaddler.)
March - Maddening Hares and all
March has been one strange month so far. Firstly, I’m really grateful for all the support and encouragement you have been sending my way in tha last month, it has been galvanising stuff.

A week ago, my breathing was so bad again that I had to make another trip to the GP. Unfortunately, for me, it was the young locum…she diagnosed a virus (don’t they always) which was probably causing the asthma and sent me away with the advice of resting completely, not running for a week and increased use of the blue inhaler.

I rested for the next 4 days, coughing getting much worse and by Tuesday night I was literally awake all night coughing, it was making me choke and throw up interspersed wirh stretches of coughing when I couldn’t actually catch my breath which was more than a little frightening. Mr SW ordered me back to the GP.

Must have made an impression on our usually officious GP’s receptionist, she told me to get there immediately. Saw the original “Running” doc who put me straight on to a nebuliser, prescribed steroids, brown inhaler as well as blue and sent me home with the nebuliser so that I could use it three times a day. No work, no running and to go back on Friday – today - for a review.

Saw another doc this morning (!) but the good news is that the lung inflammation has subsided to manageable levels. I can give up the nebuliser, finish the course of steroids and continue with the inhalers…and wait for it…I CAN GO FOR A RUN this weekend and just see how I feel. Doc suggested the tready at the gym would be a good place to start as the air is still cold up here although much better than a week or so ago. She said that provided we keep things under control I should be able to go ahead and attempt Brighton…Whoo Hoo. I am now looking to adapt the Hal H schedule to get me back on track, that’s providing everything feels OK tomorrow.

Wish me luck, and thanks again for all the support. I might have a go at the run walk method, certainly seems a sensible way to resume the campaign. Incidentally, my runners pack for the Wilmslow half arrived yesterday, ready for the end of the month, hopefully it will make a nice little training run out in the Cheshire countryside;-)
Phew this is hard work !
12-03-2010, 04:39 PM,
RE: March - Maddening Hares and all
Good luck with the weekend run!
12-03-2010, 05:33 PM,
Yes, good luck SW! Take it slow and easy.

Suzie
12-03-2010, 06:10 PM,
Best of luck with the weekend run, S. Take it easy!

13-03-2010, 11:45 AM,
Great news. Sounds like you've been suffering more than I realised. It will be good to see you back out there. Let us know how you get on.

Thumb
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-03-2010, 02:10 PM,
Good luck for your run tomorrow SW. If you don't use the tready I think that the Walk/Run option does sound like the sensible option. Fast walk the uphills and run the flat and downs - that's what I've been doing recently.

Don't forget to take your blue inhaler and a mobile phone incase you run into trouble though.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
15-03-2010, 04:37 PM,
Thumbs Up  RE: March - Maddening Hares and all
Well, I can’t quite believe this, but the run was just fine :-) Now nothing lengthy you understand, only a 4 mile pipe opener, but I felt as fresh as a daisy and cruised a swift 4 miler. Was coughing a little again afterwards, but nothing compared to the recent “normal”. I have now revised the Hal H plan to see if the mara is on. . I’m going to do the planned mid week runs – 3 X 5 milers for this week starting tomorrow and then I reckon if I can get through 20 miles on Saturday with a run/walk strategy I’ll be able to “get round” Brighton. The weekend after next is the Wilmslow half, which I’ll just use a s a training run – don’t tell them of course, they always advertise it in a rather po-faced manner as ”This is a Race, not a Run”. No PB’s are expected, but the official work charity should benefit a bit. I’m running for Age Concern – No tittering at the back there.

Suzie I’m going to give your run walk strategy a go and Lady Runner thanks very much for the info on running with inhalers, I’ll make sure mine is in my bum bag. Thanks for all the positive thought waves from everyone, it really does help and is much appreciated.
Phew this is hard work !
15-03-2010, 11:05 PM,
Nice one, SW. Am delighted for you. No pressure from this direction, just good luck vibes.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-03-2010, 07:04 AM,
Good luck for the week and Saturday!
22-03-2010, 04:59 PM,
What a horrible day, grey and sluicing down with rain, still at least it was warm, well warm-ish, but I felt decidedly cheated as the weather had been so glorious all week - whilst I was stuck in work of course.

Munched through my toast and honey, drank another cup of tea but still the rain batted down. Nothing else for it but to get out there and give it a go. Stuck my Garmin in a freezer bag so that it stayed dry while it was on top of the bird table picking up satellites.

Packed my bum bag, SIS gels, mobile, inhaler, lip salve, Gatorade, tissues, cuddly toy (not really). Strapped it on, selected a baseball cap. I don’t normally wear a hat unless its really cold, but I figured this might keep the rain out of my eyes, and it did just that, so might make it a more regular addition to my kit list. Added my rusty Aldi running jacket, no longer waterproof, but keeps the wind out nicely.

Velcro-ed on the Garmin and I was off. No plan really, just to get through 20 miles in the best way possible with a half time trip home for a quick pit stop. I splashed through the puddles, leaping to the inside of the pavement a few times to avoid being washed away by the waves created by passing motorists – b****rds, I swear they aimed at the puddles. I ran, I ran with a rhythm that has so far alluded me on this marathon campaign. After 9.7 miles I fetched up at my house for a pit stop and the luxury of putting on a dry pair of socks, out of the door once more, past caring about the weather but still feeling chipper. 10.3 miles later I was back, the last couple of miles had been slower, my stride was shorter and my legs were tired, but I was OK. I had walked up all the hills I encountered and had walked to take the gels. Mr SW looked amazed that I had finished and told me that I looked far too fresh for someone who had covered 20 miles, he said he was impressed – WOW!!! Best of all my breathing was fine. I took all the advice re- inhalers and it worked. 10 minutes quicker than my last 20 mile encounter

Watch out Brighton, I’m on my way and I aim to get round.

Sunday of course, was a glorious day!!
Phew this is hard work !
22-03-2010, 07:30 PM,
Way to go SW! Sounds like you had a fabulous run in spite of the weather. You'll be ready for Brighton - both mentally and physically.

Suzie
22-03-2010, 08:30 PM,
Wow SW, fantastic work... better than you could have imagined no doubt. See you on the start line!
23-03-2010, 05:36 PM,
Sounds like a very good run SW. Got my last 20 miler planned for Saturday and hope it goes as well as yours.
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
24-03-2010, 03:56 PM,
thanks Suzie and MD - won't have any trouble recognising you at the start!!! mind you there might be a whole pack of apes I suppose:-) Hope your 20 goes well Lady Runner, just be careful with your calf. 2 more 5 milers done so far this week, I'm trying your mid week less is more style MD.
Phew this is hard work !
25-03-2010, 09:56 PM,
[annoying US accent for no apparent reason] Nice jarb [/annoying US accent for no apparent reason] SW.

When one considers all the hurdles you've overcome to get this far, it's a fantastic achievement. I know you know that Brighton is now do-able, so enjoy.

We'll be toasting you from de Emerald Isle for sure... Yo
26-03-2010, 10:55 AM,
March Madness, April Fools
(25-03-2010, 09:56 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: We'll be toasting you from de Emerald Isle for sure... Yo

Same here; great resolve from the mighty SW.
I suspect we'll be toasting you a good deal nearer than Ireland, as the BM is the following weekend (18th) with London the following Sunday (25th). Fully intend to come along and cheer the RC heroes if I can still stand after what Antonio has got us wrapped up in.

BTW SP I'm on JDRF Cheerleader duty at the VLM again if you fancy losing your voice for three days ...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-03-2010, 01:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-03-2010, 01:31 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Oh ok, my mistake.

In that case it'd be rude not to get along to cheer the RC contingent. Cheer2
26-03-2010, 09:31 PM,
Uh? I thought the two events were the same weekend? (Hence this post and those following.)
26-03-2010, 10:53 PM,
(26-03-2010, 09:31 PM)marathondan Wrote: Uh? I thought the two events were the same weekend? (Hence this post and those following.)

Connemarathon dates were set well before BM was announced. There was some confusion as to the date of BM (not least in my mind). Nutshell: anyone doing BM was always unlikely to sign up for an offshore Guinness-fest less than a week before & vice versa.

Had I been doing the half in Connemara I might have thought about BM when the dates were confirmed ... but that's all history now.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-03-2010, 08:04 PM,
Shame BM is full... Sweder entering that on the day would have been the icing on the (Kendal mint) cake after upgrading to the Connemultra only two weeks beforehand... Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March Madness stillwaddler 1 1,834 03-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  March stillwaddler 4 2,723 21-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man