Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jellied July
10-07-2010, 12:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2010, 04:58 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Jellied July
"We're getting the band back together" ... that memorable line from Blues Brothers is appropriate for a few us here at RC it seems who need to get back on the road and pound out a few kilometres.

It's been a quiet time lately: for me especially, running has been pretty well non-existent for many weeks now. I've had plenty of lay-offs over the last few years, but nothing like this. My belly has swelled, I've had to swap to a longer belt, and the bathroom scales are telling me things it has never told me before: the relationship, it seems, has soured. And it's not the bathroom scales who are to blame. Sad

As usual, this period of non-running snuck up on me, luring me into its territory without a hint of awareness on my part until it was all way too late. It's true that for several weeks I was flourishing under a new regime of hard work (house renovation and maintenance) and I was actually fitter than I've been in ages despite the lack of running. I was lighter too than i had been for years. However it came to an end and in the space of four short weeks I became a veritable blob (at least by my standards), and I don't like it.

This morning, therefore, I took to the great outdoors in what was a short, ugly, slow and somewhat embarrassing run. But a run it was, and it felt strangely exhilarating, unworthy though it may have been. And in something of a revelation, I've discovered that one of this state's most significant walking trails, the 250km Great Northern Walk which runs northward from the centre of Sydney to the city of Newcastle, passes within 700m of my home. A major highway passing between it and my house had previously stopped me exploring that area, but now I've found it and it's great - just what the off road shoes were bought for (photos below)!

I've kept half an eye on the RC forums recently and I've been disturbed by the quietude here. Not only quiet, but then the spam bots kicked in and made it an ugly place. (Thanks, EG for cleaning those up). I guess many of us here maybe have reached many, or most of our running goals and have less to write about, but it would be a huge shame to see the forums close down for lack of interest. To think the annual Almeria half marathon RC "AGM" could become in jeopardy doesn't bear thinking about. Not to mention Connemara, which looks to me as though it should be an additonal annual event.

I'm happy to commit to making an effort to drop in more often and help keep the forums alive, but it needs a few more people doing the same, I think. We can't rely on EG and Sweder to keep the place going by themselves - they have busy lives too.

Dropping back into Blues Brothers mode; let's catch the Katy, people.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
10-07-2010, 08:10 AM,
RE: Jellied July
Nice trails MLCM. Make the most of them.
10-07-2010, 09:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2010, 09:10 AM by El Gordo.)
Yep. It's time. But let's not beat ourselves up about it -- perhaps it's not a bad thing to have a close season. The important thing is to call the end of it. And we've done it. I'll write a post in the next day, and help to kick things off again. Agree with BB - those trails like profoundly ploddable.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
10-07-2010, 09:40 AM,
Nice work MLCM. I've got a mate in Bilgola and I've done abit of cycling around Pittwater. Great part of the world. And a run is a run is a run.
11-07-2010, 07:13 AM,
(10-07-2010, 09:40 AM)glaconman Wrote: Nice work MLCM. I've got a mate in Bilgola

A rich mate, presumably. That's not a cheap part of Sydney!

(10-07-2010, 09:40 AM)glaconman Wrote: And a run is a run is a run.

Two runs actually. Yep, two days, two runs. A good (re-)start. I'm happy. Below is a pie chart of my progress to date. Thumb

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
13-07-2010, 12:35 PM,
I confess to not recording any of my runs recently, sorry fellow RC'rs, will try and make amends in v near future.
Phew this is hard work !
25-07-2010, 12:19 AM,
I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn't have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

What the hell just happened? In the space of one week I've turned into a Jake Blues - fat and full of excuses.

Let's just say the wheels fell off.

Where can I get back on?

I'll let you know.

Fatter MLCM.

Dodgy
Run. Just run.
25-07-2010, 06:17 PM,
As the Americans are good at saying: tell me about it. There seems to have been an explosion of high quality boutique breweries in this country recently producing amazing beer. Me and Mrs G are riding this renaissance like there's no tomorrow, unable to catch-up with all the new guest beers appearing at the pumps. And I just can't run it off fast enough. Never mind. Smile I'll just have to keep trying.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thigh July Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 11 2,539 18-08-2017, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  My my, it's July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 1,916 04-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Time to Fly July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 3,058 20-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Why oh why July? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 3,307 21-07-2014, 06:47 AM
  Far from dry July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 2,533 30-07-2013, 04:36 PM
  Dry July? No! Why? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 22 15,461 30-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  July July Tempranillo Pie Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 21 13,625 28-07-2011, 09:24 PM
  July Hibernation Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 54 32,835 30-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  July - The Running Thread. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 25 12,402 02-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  July. Just July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 40 20,314 13-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Sweder