Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St Swithin's Day and beyond
15-07-2010, 02:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-07-2010, 02:27 PM by stillwaddler.)
St Swithin's Day and beyond
So what have I been doing since the Brighton marathon way back in April?
Well, I have applied for and got accepted for Brighton next year, and unbeknown to me Mr SW has done the same. I have put on about 4 pounds in weight in addition to the 4 pounds or so that I put on training for the marathon that makes me at least half a stone heavier than this time last year, it makes me feel a little glum, but Mr SW is nearly 3 stone heavier than when he did London with me way back in 2006Big Grin

I have been running. I have got out at a couple of times a week every week since April but for nothing longer than 5 miles or so. I have been enjoying my running and am still feeling reasonably fit but seem to have been so busy doing other stuff that running has taken a bit of a back seat. I have done a stone sculpture course, spent hours at my allotment, mostly watering during the long drought here in the North West, still at least it proved it doesn’t always rain in Manchester! Made loads of ice cream, sorbets, jam etc from fruit from the lottie, attended umpteen orchestral rehearsals for the concert on Saturday (Brahms 4, Tchaik. Romeo and Juliet and Korngold Violin concerto (the last one is pants) and I’ve cycled to work each day. So I haven’t been idle.

I have bought and read “Born to Run” I really enjoyed the story lines but I remain unconvinced that running barefoot is the way for me to go personally. In my hippy-ish teenage youth I mostly went barefoot all summer long, - much to my Mother’s distaste. I lived on the coast in North Norfolk at the time so the pavements etc were fairly clean. At school we were only allowed in the gym barefoot, I remember that playing basket ball in bare feet used to leave some impressive friction blisters under my big toes. I naturally plant my heels rather heavily and did even when I was a 7stone 3 waif. That’s the way I walk, and that’s the way I run. I suppose I could be re-educated but at my age and considering I mostly run on pavements, I don’t think the benefits would be that great. I’m quite happy wearing my Asics Gel Kyanos, in fact they suit me so well I forget they are on my feet, I don’t suffer from back ache, knee pain or any of the other usual problems when wearing them(touch wood!) I also have a sneaking suspicion that if I tried barefoot running my plates might end up looking like this: see attachment
http://therunningbarefoot.com/
If I look after my feet I hope to get in a few more years running before I have to hang up the Kyanos (incidentally I just bought another pair on Sports Direct they had nearly 40 squid off the normal priceSmile )

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phew this is hard work !
15-07-2010, 09:42 PM,
RE: St Swithin's Day and beyond
Cripes. You've put the rest of us to shame. Getting straight back to a couple of runs per week post-marathon is great. And cycling and digging the allotment both count as cross-training. Really good that you are able to enjoy your running without anything in particular to train for. Come December you will be really well poised to crank up the miles.
15-07-2010, 10:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-07-2010, 10:52 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
I'm with you on the barefoot running, sw - I think it's inviting trouble we don't need at our age. Good on you for keeping up the running, you've certainly put me to shame in recent months. Mind you, judging by the sorbets, jams and ice cream you've been making, that's probably just as well.

How about a photo of the allotment and the resultant produce next time? I mean, as nice though as the foot pic was... Tongue
Run. Just run.
19-07-2010, 11:15 AM,
Excellent stuff SW. Your caution over BF running is well founded. I've managed to bruise both feet on recent excursions (running on flint-strewn downland that's always a possibility). Vibrams have launched a more rugged set for offroaders but I singularly failed to buy a pair whilst States-side last month. They're waay too expensive over here at the moment.

I firmly believe there is something to be gained by adopting some of the barefoot strategies whilst remaining fully shod. Reading that book in the weeks before Connemara helped me no end, even though I wore (brand new) road shoes the whole way.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-07-2010, 03:36 PM,
ah...December MD, 159 days 'til Christmas apparently - eek.
I shall endeavour to find put a lottie picture on. I'm very fond of my little pightle and the fruit and veg is yummy, especially the fruit, but MLCM you are dead right about the excess pounds, I went climbing yesterday for the first time in ages and I really felt every one of the excesses I have been indulging in!!! Mind you it's the first time I've had my knee beside my head whilst in an upright position for years and years:-) Sweder, I have been trying to put the bare foot strategies into practise...especially the small steps and faster leg turnover, I checked out the price of the all terrain Vibrams - 160 squid, I'd want a few go faster stripes and maybe even motorised Vibrams for that.
Keep on keeping on running guys.
Phew this is hard work !
24-08-2010, 02:26 PM,
Yesterday evening after work I went for a run. I don’t normally run after work, I’m usually either too busy doing other things or just too plain cream crackered, but after a really busy day with no time for the lunchtime run I had planned I thought I had better get out there because my regime of getting out for a short waddle at least three times a week had gone woefully all to cock last week. Expanding the chicken run, watering in the greenhouse on the lottie, dancing the night away in my highest heels during a swing night ( that is “swing” without at the “er” suffix, I took absolutely no notice of the lude and suggestive remarks that my colleagues made when I told them what I was doing that evening) at the most divine Italian restaurant in Manchester (Stock – if any one is interested) sadly, my runs lapsed to just 2 for the week ( well sort of sadly, I was after all having a good time).

Forgive the brackets, I was just having a touch of the Pratchet’s

The run was wet, very wet. 4.7 miles and I can’t remember when I enjoyed a run more. There is something childishly gleeful in getting really soaking wet in minimal clothing and not caring a jot.

The Wet One just tips me over the 500 mile marker for 2010
Phew this is hard work !
23-09-2010, 03:43 PM,
well, no running for me for the last fortnight :-( However, I have had a wonderful two weeks of swimming off fantastic little beaches, walking in some awe inspiring scenery, comsuming glorious food and excellent beer to combat the rehydration. Mr SW and me have been on holiday, 10 days in Symi (dodecanese) and 4 days on Rhodes where incidentally - and found quite by chance -I had some of the best Guinness I've ever drunk. This was really needed after a very trying year for us both.

I ran three mile at lunchtime, I need to with the amount of weight I've put on despite the exercise:-(
Phew this is hard work !
23-09-2010, 03:57 PM,
(23-09-2010, 03:43 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: and 4 days on Rhodes where incidentally - and found quite by chance -I had some of the best Guinness I've ever drunk. This was really needed after a very trying year for us both.

Brilliant.
Any chance you might share the name of that bar?
Just in case ...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-09-2010, 10:44 PM,
(23-09-2010, 03:43 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: I ran three mile at lunchtime, I need to with the amount of weight I've put on despite the exercise:-(

Not to worry, a bit of running and some strident cello playing will get you back into form, I'm sure.

Any photos from your holiday?
Run. Just run.